“BEST EVER!!!!!”

Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BEST EVER!!!!!”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Food EXCELLENT, Staff EXCELLENT, size a little small...but quaint. I only wish this restaurant was close to my home in Dallas. Try the Lobster Ravioli...to die for!!! I would go back to Cannon Beach specifically to eat here. Don' t miss it.

1 Thank Brenda B

Portland, OR
“Best Damned Meal I've Had On The Oregon Coast...”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My partner and I were spending Labor Day weekend with family in Cannon Beach, which also happened to be our 3rd Anniversary. I obsessively planned an evening for the two of us to sneak off and have a really good meal. I've spent enough time in Cannon Beach to know that's it's not a hotbed of first class cuisine. It's very family style dining oriented, and that was NOT what I had in mind. After reading enough reviews to be labled "obsessive compulsive" I selected Newmans at 988 and booked reservations. I was also intrigued by The Irish Table, but they don't take reservations and I had read of 2+ hour waits - especially on a beautiful holiday weekend.

Newman's turned out to be the best choice I could have made. It was amazing in every way. The restaurant itself is in a small older house, which makes it intimate. The service was excellent, they had a great wine list, and our meals could not have been better. The portion sizes seemed smallish at first glance, but the richness of the French cooking more than made up for it. We were able to get through all four courses and left feeling VERY satisfied, but not bloated. It was really a classy, intimate dining experience and I can't wait to go back!

4 Thank PDXTraveler97213
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Food”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Quaint restaurant in a great location. The food was exceptional complimented with fabulous service. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2011
Portland, Oregon
“Bland Overpriced Food”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband had the Filet and I had the Special Fish, Black Cod. We also had the seared scallops and my husband had a glass of wine. The Filet and Cod were cooked well (not over-cooked or under-cooked), but all of the food was very bland. We also dined outside. It took a while, the sun went down and we were eating in the dark, even though the bus boy valiantly tried to keep a candle lit for us and the other outside patrons.... of course this doesn't work well if there nothing surrounding the candle in the coastal winds. The bill and tip was $100. This would be completely acceptable for a flavor packed meal, but not for a bland one.

Charlottesville VA USA
“No doubt why it was our innkeeper's immediate recommendation!”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This place really is a gem. It's in the quieter (southern) end of Hemlock Street. It's in what looks like a small house on the main street. I made my reservation just fine by email a week or so ahead. It took two days to hear back but we did. (Open Table isn't used in this town.) We went midweek at 6 pm (end of August) and were the first diners to arrive. The next several couples to come along did not have reservations but were seated right away too. Service was superb. It is definitely adult and very-well-behaved-child oriented. Great seafood and rack of lamb, among a small but broad selection of entrees. This is a smaller restaurant -- less than 50 seats! The chef, John Newman, comes from the high-end hotel in the town and is in the process of opening a second restaurant a half mile north.

• Visited August 2011