“Rainy day hide-a-way, this is not”

Bill's Tavern & Brewhouse
Ranked #12 of 49 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was our second visit to Bill's, our first visit we just had a pint. We were intrigued enough to stop again to order mores beers and dinner. To start off, our waitress was arrogant, pushy, and snotty. She had an attitude and I'm not sure if it was a personality thing or just having one of those days. We would order what we wanted and she would bluntly pointed out "So you're the only one not getting clam chowder" - like 'that's a mistake'. Anyway, speaking of clam chowder, it tasted more like potato soup with few clams and quite watery. The rest of the food was average but most entrees were served with chips instead of fries. And if you wanted to substitute anything, there was a charge. It seemed like they like to nickel and dime you for anything customary. This includes to go orders, "$.50 per item". We also noted that they do fill growlers, for $15. Pretty steep in the land of micro-brews. Not to mention that you need to call in before you plan on having your growler filled. The beer was good so it is sad to see that this pub is unable to get the restaurant part right. I'd stop for another beer, but that's all.

2  Thank lanajean1126

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Our experience there was contrary to the majority of positive postings. Perhaps because we were sober and stayed such, believed the reviews posted, we came away - I should say - ran away anxious to post caveats on the common review sites. This was a horrid day for the servers, the staff on duty were trained by Ivan the Terrible or Simon the Surly and that's giving the credit. The famous burger appeared to have been hit by a bus prior to it landing on our table. Yikes, it was an ugly mess, but at least they picked away the leaves and grass clippings. Even our ravenous dogs shied away from the famous burger. The best we can say about the tuna sandwich is that it did not smell bad, it was pleasantly laced with school paste giving it a slightly sweet mélange and taste.
Apparently it's a good place to get drunk and then eat.

2  Thank sam d
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Great lunch. Great beers. Very friendly service. Fresh halibut was great, as was the clam chowder. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were in Ecola Beach State Park and hungry for lunch, so we drove into Cannon Beach. There are many restaurants to choose from, and we were unsure, so we asked a semi-local where they liked to eat in Cannon Beach. He replied, "I'm going over to Bill's Tavern in a few minutes and I recommend it. If you eat there and don't like it, I'll buy your lunch!" Well, that seemed like too good of an offer to pass up, so we crossed the street and waited just a few minutes for a table. Our server Brooke was great! Even in a busy lunch crowd, she was efficient and attentive.
One fellow diner tried the hummus plate, which was excellently presented and very fresh and tasty. I had the cup of clam chowder and side salad. The clam chowder was so good, I told our server I wished I'd gotten the bowl instead of the cup! She returned to the kitchen and brought back another cup of the chowder for only $1 more (Cup $5; Bowl $6). The salad was great too.
Another diner in our group had the chili burger which was exactly what he was hoping for in a chili burger.
The gentleman who recommended Bill's Tavern to us soon came in to eat; however, we liked our meals so much, he didn't have to buy our lunch. We'll return the next time we're in Cannon Beach.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed in Cannon Beach last year and tried out Bill's Tavern. We quite enjoyed the atmosphere and dining experience, so much so we returned on this years trip down the Oregon Coast. The restaurant houses a micro brewery. The menu is a bit limited but we had no trouble choosing a tasty meal. Fish and chips are great as are the appies and burgers. they have great selection of micro beers which seem to change regularly. Families sit on the left side of the restaurant and over 21's sit on the right side.Another nice meal this year. Service was quick and friendly and food was hot. Nothing really fancy but good food and good value. See you next year Bill's!