“Great Beach Access!”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Maricopa, Arizona
“Great Beach Access!”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

At this point I have not read other reviews. We arrived without a reservation and wanted to stay one night then changed it to two. The Hotel was up front and stated that we would have to change rooms for the second night--no problem. The location of the Tolovana Inn was excellent for the beach. The first night we had a room on the second floor and had a great night's sleep. How lucky we were as there was a -1 tide @ 6:30 AM ! Just wonderful as we walked almost 3/4 mile out. Haystack rock was out in the open--glad that the volunteers had placed signs clsoing off certain areas to vistors. The tide pools were great as we remembered. We checked out by 11 AM with a recheck in around 4 PM. This time we had a room on the first floor adjacent to a large multi-bedroom unit. FYI: Avoid this location of a room as many people were going in and out slamming the door. Also on the ground floor you're at the mercy of those above you. Little Johnny and Ann were jumping off of the beds. But at bedtime, they must have been exhausted as the nosie stopped. Just rmember that this is or was beyond the control of the Hotel. Again it was a -1 tide and also a very high tide. The high tide reached beyond the cast iron fire pits. This time we walked to the left that had a large area of tide pools. This hotel's location was just great. There are very costly hotels in the area but remember you want the beach and not just a view of it. Beach access is very easy with a hose to wash off your sandy feet. Just a wonderful place to stay to visit Cannon Beach! Mo's Restaurant was next to this hotel--great place for kids to eat. Would we stay here again? YES!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PropellerJourney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Boise
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We were being spontaneous in August thinking it would not be a problem finding a room. We were surprised how wrong that was, but called around a bit and found a vacancy here. We snapped it up, though at first we didn't want to spend that much. After seeing the room we immediately booked another night, and the next day, another because the whole family voted it was the perfect place on the Oregon coast for a family getaway.

What more could you ask for? A full kitchen was a big one for us, because being able to cook and relax with the family definitely offset costs that would normally be spent in restaurants. The room was very clean and spacious, beyond our expectations. The pool was a huge win with the kids, the sauna with the folks. The fireplace and balcony were a very nice touch. The location on the beach is perfect....a stunning view of Haystack Rock. The front desk staff was very helpful, courteous and good humored. Rental movies, hot coffee, luggage carts and elevators to haul in our loads were all very much appreciated.

The bottom line is we were planning to go cheap, even camping, but when we found this, though I wouldn't call it cheap, it was a great value considering all of the above, and we plan to recommend it to friends who are headed this way. We're very glad we discovered it and decided to do it instead of camping or going on the cheap!

1 Thank WebDev777
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 16, 2010

The outside of the hotel looked dingy so I was worried from the moment we drove up. I asked to see the type of room I was getting. For $170, it was a studio with a Murphy Queen bed. Once the bed was down, there was very little room to walk around. The TV was across from the sofa which was on the opposite wall from the bed which makes sitting in bed and watching TV impossible.

I asked to cancel and they said that normally, they'd just keep the whole amount but they'd give me a break and only charge me 1/2 of the room rate. I never even checked in. It was a very busy weekend. I'm sure the room didn't stay vacant for long.

We turned around and drove back to Portland where we rented a lovely 2-room King Suite at the Hotel Monaco for $136. A definite thumbs up hotel.

1 Thank ilya07
Kent, Washington
Reviewed August 16, 2010

The King bed room we stayed in was in Building 1. This room was greatly remodeled and had a wonderfully comfortable mattress. This room was GREAT.

The front desk employees were very helpful and always had the complimentary HOT coffee/tea available all day .

The downside - the insulation between rooms and floors are poor. We could hear every sound from the rooms next door and above us. Not very good when you can hear everything from the above toilet.

Seattle
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Sometimes, when writing a review, I wish the narrative were followed by three hands instead of two. In between the green for "yes" and the red for "no", I'd like a yellow hand doing the so-so gesture; maybe, maybe not. I am marking this one no, since I have to choose, because most Trip Advisor mavens do not fall into the narrow category that I think can still benefit from this lodging, but I may go back (or may not), because when you need a place with a lot of beds that is right on the ocean, this is still the cheapest deal, and once you add a kitchen and say you want it for less than a week, it may be the ONLY deal.

Yes, there are other resort towns along the Oregon coast that are very nice. I grew up in Portland and now live in Seattle, and having been up and down both coastlines, I find that I have a strong preference for Cannon Beach, strong enough to make me shut up and extend my credit card when those Disneyland prices are what is demanded.

I have two kids, one in college, one in middle school, opposite genders. We could put one in a bed and one on a sofa, and we've done that at times, but this was the only trip our family was taking together this year, and it's their vacation, too, so we sprang for a two bedroom ocean front suite at the Tolovana. This gave us a lot of room, and when you are traveling with adolescents, that helps keep people happy. My husband and I had a bedroom with a small private bath and a separate door extending to the outside corridor. We were on the ground floor at my request, since I am a cane user. My son opted for the Murphy bed (pulls out of wall) in the living room, because he could hook his Playstation up to its TV, but both the bedrooms each had a small TV as well, new and in good condition, with a DVD player. My daughter got the other bedroom, and she and her brother shared the suite's bathroom.

The kitchen is a full kitchen. They need a full size skillet (there were two small ones) and a large mixing bowl, but other than that I was very pleased. I'd brought the fixin's for bacon and eggs, pancakes, and brownies, and could make all of these without a hitch. The oven, sink and counters were spotless when we came, but there were really nasty leavings from a previous tenant in the vegetable drawer of the fridge. And this is typical; I had stayed for what I think of as a more magical experience with my older kids (now grown) a decade ago, and the housekeeping was spotty then, too.

So if you rent a suite here, understand that in terms of housekeeping, you are largely on your own. If you are gone when they arrive or are willing to let them in, they will replace your dirty towels and make the beds. They'll wipe down the kitchen's main surfaces, but they will leave your dirty dishes for you to deal with yourself. If you run the dishwasher, they will not put the clean ones away; again, that's your problem. The dirty footprints we'd left in the tub were still there when they left. They inquired imploringly whether we wanted them to vacuum; we said yes, but they didn't do it anyway. Then they asked if there was anything, anything at ALL we would like. We asked for an extra coffee, never dreaming that the master bath was still dirty and the wastebasket overflowing. They did take the kitchen garbage out, however.

Again, the place is supposed to serve six people--two per bed--and here is where the Tolovana shines. There are dishes for 8 in the cupboard (so six people can eat, even if a plate or two is warming in the oven with food on it). The dining set, solid and substantial, has seating for six. I have stayed places that advertised they were six or eight person rooms, only to find that the kitchen is designed for three or four. The Tolovana was genuinely ready for the number of guests they claimed could stay there.

Once the toilet plugged up, and we called the front desk. Someone came and handed a plunger through the suite's door to my son, saying, "Put it in the corridor when you're done, please." So not only did we get to unplug our own potty, but even wierder, no one picked up the plunger for the next three days! It just sat outside our room.

Other reviewers have complained about the thin walls and floors. They're right. Tolovana's main way of dealing with this is to issue a stern set of rules. No running the dishwasher after 10 PM! Bring your kids in between 10 PM and 8 PM, it's quiet time! To some extent this actually works. There was a loud, drunken party taking place in the room across from ours; my spouse, suffering from overwork, had come to the beach mostly to sleep, and wanted to go to bed at 8:30. I would guess that the party noise coming from the open door of our across-the-hall neighbors was about 8 feet from the foot of our bed. I called the desk and asked them to please ask our neighbors to close their door (since it was not yet 10 PM), and I have no idea what they said to them, but very soon afterward, we heard loud voices in the corridor saying those sweet, sweet words (but loudly, of course): Good night! Good-bye! So at least that part worked out. Still, there was another rule that children could not run INSIDE their family's suite after 10 PM. If we are talking about shrieking teens, then I'd agree, but we had a kindergartener upstairs, and you know what? Tiny people automatically run. Yes, we could hear them, and we could hear the whole family checking out early the next morning, and that is something that only structural improvements can solve. We had a lamp that did not work, and the last day we were there, the microwave died. So the place is far from perfect.

The fireplace had an easy switch but produced lots of heat--probably great in winter, but we had 60 degrees and drizzle, so we used it sparingly. The view from the balcony was what did it for me. I can no longer walk on sand, but it means the world to me to look at those waves! This is a good, close-up view of the ocean, and I would study each individual wave as it swelled, crested, and then turned to foam. Took my blood pressure down 10 degrees, I'm sure!

The mattresses were excellent.

Disabled people beware, however. I was in the so-called ADA building, which had a grand total of two disabled parking places. Every grocery store in Seattle is better for the disabled than this place! There were no parking places except way over at other buildings, so we parked on the stripes. They made us move, and offered us an ADA space at the main building (the point of an ADA parking place is to LIMIT how much you have to WALK, duh!). If anyone in your party is in a wheelchair, I'd ask some very specific questions before booking here.

Here's the apparent cause of the lack of consideration afforded the best-heeled generation this place will likely serve. Each suite (condo) is individually owned by someone who agrees to rent it out for a certain number of days per year. Therefore, the main priority is NOT on making guests comfortable, it is on serving the pleasure and interest of the condo owners. I asked why they didn't simply number a space for each room; then not only would disabled people be guaranteed one parking place for the room they'd rented, but others would, too. Seems simple, right? "The condo owners decided against it, " the manager told me, as if a royal edict had come down. This was a typical response I got to any questions regarding poor service or obvious needs of guests that had not been met. It's a little like buying a car and "my manager", an invisible person who refuses to come out of his office, makes all the decisions that are going to shaft you financially. There were no "condo owners" available to confront about poor service, and those reviewers on this site who claim the front office is snarky, are absolutely right. I had loved them ten years ago and came this time convinced that any complainers had been rude to the management, thereby drawing a natural defensive response. Not so. Again, it's like Disneyland: they have the only beach front suite resort in Cannon Beach. They don't have to be nice; their rooms will fill up whether they clean them or not, whether they're polite or not, whether they unplug the toilet or not. Take it or leave it!

For most people, I am advising you to leave it. If you have a big family and want to stay at least a week, you can most likely do better for yourself by renting one of the houses advertised on this site. If you are a couple looking for a romantic beach front experience, I hear the Stephanie Inn is nice. If you have one child, or a pair of small kids who can share a queen size bed, I would again advise you to look elsewhere. But if you have three or four kids, or opposite gender kids too old to share a bed, and you aren't staying long enough to fulfill the one or two week minimum required by rental house owners, I still think this place might suit your needs better than anywhere else. Just brace yourself to do most of your own cleaning, and deal with the noise and office people.

1 Thank SeattleYo_Mama
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We've been staying here since the 70's. The ambiance, location (close to Cannon Beach but away from the crowds) and roominess are much appreciated. The recent room upgrades are a plus!

Centreville, Maryland
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I stayed at the Tolovana to attend a family reunion and I reserved a room for three people. The first room I had was filthy, there were bugs on the floor of the bathroom overall disgusting! I was given a room for two people and my son had to sleep on the filthy sofa. We had a beachfront room and there was a beach party outside our door until at least 1 am. If that wasn't bad there was a screaming baby in the room attached to ours that cried for two or three hours. The frist of many sleepless nights at the Inn. The next room was cleaner, though not by much. The problem was the noise from the room uplstairs. They sounded like they were running a marathon in there room. It started around 6 am and finally stopped around 12:30 am. The rooms are not sound proofed and the noise level is horrible. When we mentioned the many issues we had with the rooms the staff could care less. They are in a great location and know they will have no problem filling the rooms so they can be as rude as they want. I will NEVER stay at the Tolovanna again and DON'T recommend it to anyone who values a decent nights sleep!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Borisblu96
PolyManager, General Manager at Tolovana Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Let me first personally apologize for your stay at Tolovana Inn. We take great pride in providing a comfortable and relaxing stay at an affordable price with a helpful and friendly staff. We do ask guests to make their beach fires in the fire rings provided by Tolovana Inn located 50 feet from the breakwater for public and guest use. We also walk the beach in front of the hotel and if fires are closer than 50 feet, we ask that they move them out to the appropriate distance. I also apologize for the screaming child in the room next to yours. We are a family hotel and do try to make sure everyone is comfortable.

As you may know the Tolovana Inn is a historic landmark and was built in the early 1970s. We are continuously remodeling the units and trying new and innovative ways to reduce noise from neighboring rooms. The cleanliness of the rooms has been discussed with the Housekeeping Manager and appropriate corrective action has been taken. I apologize if you felt our staff was rude or gave the impression we did not care. We do care and do not take guests for granted even though, as you said, we have a great location. If you would be gracious enough to give us another chance, please send me an email with your name or reservation number, I would very much like to make it up to you.

Jim McDonald
Best Western Ocean View Resort
Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
#8 of 14 in Cannon Beach

Been to Tolovana Inn? Share your experiences!