“Cozy atmosphere but sort of bland food”
Review of Bistro

Bistro
Ranked #25 of 50 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We were hoping for more from our dinner at this sort of new place in Cannon Beach (they had a fire and were closed for awhile). My husband had the flat iron steak and I had the pasta special -- spaghetti in an olive oil and herb sauce with scallops and red pepper flakes.

The steak was a good solid steak but it didn't have any additional seasonings or anything that made it taste any different from what we grill at home. I ordered the pasta special due to the waiter's description of scallops with red pepper flakes. However, my plate arrived without any signs of the flakes so I asked for some and mixed them in myself. A special missing one of the touted ingredient? That was really surprising. And without those red pepper flakes, the dish was sort of boring.

The service was friendly, the ambiance was warm and cozy and softly lit, and it felt like a place for both locals and visitors. I just wish the food was more interesting and flavorful.

1  Thank ToniPortland_OR
There are newer reviews for Bistro

Reviewed November 2, 2013

...I've got to start hitting the bars (bistros) more. Looking for a nice dinner in Cannon Beach on Halloween and not knowing the area we asked for recommendations from the owner of The Oil & Vinegar Bar (that's another recommendation in itself). One of his choices was closed and we walked across the street to the other option, The Bistro. It's small and the waitress suggested a table near the bar, stools all filled. There is a dining area separate from the bar and we were beating the rush. It's a small intimate bar and there were about four tables for diners. No blaring music or loud conversations, a nice atmosphere for dinner. Jeff, the regular Wednesday-Thursday night bartender handled our orders and was helpful getting my choices of dinner drinks. The menu is one page which allows for quick decisions. You would have thought we were in a 4 or 5 Star restaurant. You won't find buffalo wings and fries on this menu. I opted for the Sauteed Scallops with sun-dried tomato, garlic, capers, white wine, and parsley, served with risotto, and a Pear, Walnuts, and Bleu cheese salad. My wife had the Hot Seafood Salad which was a first for her, i.e., a hot salad. Crab, scallops, and bay ship warmed and served on a plate of greens. If this is the quality of "bar food" I'll start frequenting them more often, especially this little Bistro. My compliments to the chef and Jeff for a fine and unexpected dining experience. We live up the road about 120 miles and would consider this drive for dinner in a heartbeat. Ask for the Spanish Coffee after dinner.

2  Thank KBWestport
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Fish soup is to die for as is the hazelnut torte. Bartender kept us entertained while we waited for our table. Good wine selection.

1  Thank MJTfromCA
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We enjoyed a Saturday night dinner at Bistro in late October. Their menu is not long, but provides a nice variety of choices. My husband raved about his pasta entree and I thoroughly enjoyed Prawns with Jasmine rice. Service was good, and the live background music was a bonus. I ordered a Latte to enjoy with our dessert and was disappointed to learn they didn't do Lattes. It would be a nice addition to finish off a fine meal.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

When you visit a town that is a tourist destination, it is sometimes hard to separate the tourist shops and restaurants for the real gems that offer unique service and quality products without having to pay extra dollars for such service.
We had almost given up finding such a memorable casual eatery when we stumbled on the Bistro that offered a great menu and wine list in a lovely comfortable and youthful setting. On a warm day, you could sit out in the private courtyard which would have been a real bonus. It was a stormy day for us. We wanted a nice dinner early in the evening so that we could curl up in our Cannon Beach hideaway. Not sure where we were going to end up, we didn't have reservations. We were welcomed but it would have been better to reserve as the only down side was being sat at a table in a back corner instead of up front which seemed to sit empty the whole time we were there.
However, we were able to talk, enjoy martinis and listen to great background music. The food was delicious with good value. My husband raved about his seafood stew, fresh and flavourful.
We would definitely, go back to this hideaway in the village.
Please share your menu with the lodgings so we can find you a little easier. One of the best, not to be missed.