“Can I go back?”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
sacramento, ca
“Can I go back?”
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Last March my husband and I took a four day drive up the Oregon Coast. It was a beautiful trip, but if I had known how much I'd love staying at the cozy Stephanie Inn, I'd would have headed there immediately, checked in and relaxed for three days. This property is truly meant for finding peace.

Upon our arrival we entered the lobby and were warmly greeted by the staff. When we expressed interest in staying there, the reservationist (lack of better term) showed us several different rooms. She ended up giving us a fabulous deal on a third floor room with and ocean view. (303) It was worth every penny. If we didn't need get back to our young kids, we would have stayed another night.

My poor husband was fighting off a stomach bug so he spent the entire time sleeping. Kind of a bummer when you are in such a romantic place. But hey, the bed was twenty times more comfortable than ours at home, so if you have to feel bad this wasn't such a bad place to be. I certainly made the best of my time.

I walked downstairs and someone immediately asked if I needed anything. (this was common throughout our stay) I expressed my interest in a bottle of wine. The gentleman took me to the lobby and showed me several choices along with some personal recommendations.

With wine in hand, I went back upstairs, opened the door to the balcony, turned on the fireplace and listenend the waves roll in all night long. I didn't have any reading material with me, but the Stephanie Inn so thoughfully had several items already available in our room. I chose the Glimmer Train (short stories) sipped on my wine, nibbled on cheese from an earlier excursion, ordered room service and eventually took a bath in the jacuzzi tub. (oh the lemon tart thing that I had was scrumptious!)

My stay there was heavenly. The Stephanie Inn has thought of some many details. Like a lantern for nightime beach combing, robes, luxurious bath gels and shampoos, a cute little rubber ducky. A selection of CD's for the bose radio and a video library.
The list goes on.

I have stayed in few hotels where I would make a point to return . But the Stephanie Inn certainly is one of them. It would be a lovely place for a romantic weekend or even just some quiet alone time. Pay for the room with a view and go offseason for better rates. It really is worth it.

• Liked — Ambiance, attention to detail, service...
  • Disliked — I am wondering if they are thinking about room renovations soon.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelBug075

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Richland, Washington
Reviewed September 7, 2007

Not worth it! The Stephanie Inn is very overpriced and overrated. We went recently for my birthday and stayed 2 nights. Yes it has a great view of the ocean but the highly touted service was lacking. Its all about the attitude and their attitude was just that they were doing us a favor. The cocktail hour was a nice touch but so crowded that there was hardly ever a place to sit. The appetizers nothing much more than cheese and crackers. The rooms were small and not at all worth the price. To pay THAT MUCH for this hotel is not worth it! I encourage readers to look at other places in town and on the ocean. The Stephanie Inn is nice but not worth the price.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the attitude of staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
15 Thank sondra62
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 25, 2007

My Fiance and I were looking for a nice place to stay on the coast and I came across the Stephanie Inn in my search. Though there are definitely less expensive places to stay, you can't beat the attention to detail and cozy feeling that the Stephanie Inn provides, along with its excellent oceanfront location and views of Haystack Rock.

The lobby greets you with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and cookies (very good!) available all the time. The staff was very friendly and make you feel very welcome and right at home.

All of their oceanfront rooms feature sliding glass doors and patios to enjoy the views from and you can walk straight onto the sand from your room if you want to. Ours was located right near the main lobby and had a gas fireplace, jacuzzi tub, Bose Wave Radio (with some CDs to listen to), plasma TV, and a small refridgerator/wet bar. When making your reservation, they'll even ask what you like to drink (I asked for Coke) and they'll have a couple of them waiting for you in your fridge when you get there. They also offer complimentary turndown service.

In the afternoons they have a complementary wine and cheese event located in the Chart Room where you'll be able to sip a glass of some great Northwest wine and enjoy the ocean view. In the mornings they also offer an excellent hot breakfast buffet which was delicious.

I originally booked for only one night but immediately after I arrived I couldn't resist adding a second night to my stay. I can't wait until next time.

Happy Travels.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — The price, although definitely worth every penny.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank blazinrebel
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We are a couple in their thirties looking for a romantic getaway. We booked a non-view room at the Stephanie because it was all the Inn had left (though the view rooms are beyond what we are willing to pay).

This Inn is probably great if you can pay $600/night for a view room. It is also great if you like a lot of pretension. You will see more people here in slacks than in beach clothes and we were definitely the youngest people there. But the non-view room was terrible, especially for the price. It was a small, tight quarters, and so extraordinarily hot. Because our room faced the parking lot on the first floor, we could not leave the sliding door open at night. That should not have been a problem, since the room comes with an air conditioner. Howevever, the unit needs to be manually emptied about every two hours -- if the guest doesn't pour the water out of it, it stops working. We kept waking up all night long, each time the unit shut off, sweltering from the heat! The bathroom was definitely not inviting. There was no lid on the toilet. I find that gross. The jacquzzi was very small (one third the size as the one at the Hallmark) and the seal on it was broken, so it did not hold water.

The dining room and the breakfast room share the same space -and there is no view from it, either. It overlooks the parking lot. Not terribly romantic. The buffet and dinner were fine, but we enjoyed our meals at the Wayfarer more because of the view.

We swtiched to the Hallmark after two nights here, and were surprised at how much better caliber our room was there. We wished we had booked all four nights there, not just because of the quality of the room and view, but because it is in closer proximity to the town and closer to Haystack.

I would note that when we checked out, the staff person tried to badmouth the Hallmark to deter us from going there, going so far as to ask my husband if I had personally gone to the Hallmark and viewed their room. It was none of her business, but the Hallmark's was fantastic.

• Liked — The lounge
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank KiNdReDSpRiT
Olympia, WA
Reviewed August 18, 2007

I wrote previously about a miserable night we spent at the Stephanie Inn and what we considered a very poor management response to our complaints regarding other guests partying around a bonfire right outside our room until the wee hours of the morning. A week after our review was posted, the general manager contacted us. She was on vacation while we were there and was quite concerned that we had such an unpleasant experience. She was also quite concerned about how the situation was handled and promptly offered us one free future night for our trouble (she'll likely offer lots of free nights - she said several other guests had similiar complaints). In addition, staff will be reminded of the Inn's commitment to its guests.

This is exactly what one would expect of a first-rate establishment. Combined with the beautiful location, the attractiveness of the Inn itself, and the other services offered, it now adds up to our unconditional recommendation.

• Liked — Quality of accommodations, natural beauty of setting.
  • Disliked — Smoke from fires on the beach.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank OlympiaSteve
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We celebrated our 29th anniversary at the Stephanie Inn, and we couldn't have chosen a more lovely, romantic place! The hotel is immaculate, the grounds are pristine, the beach is breathtaking, the staff is courteous, and the breakfast is fabulous! We stayed on the first floor on the ocean in the main inn. The staff is welcoming and friendly but also gave us our privacy. There were cookies and cofee and tea available 24/7, and--in addition to breakfast--there was a wine hour in in the late afternoon. The town of Canon Beach is lovely and peaceful with many nice restaurants and shops. For a diversion, the town of Seaside is 10 miles up the road. That town is more bustling, with many shops, including an outlet mall. There are some lovely historical parks nearby. We will most definitely return to the Stephanie Inn!

• Liked — Lovely beach views
  • Disliked — Smell of burning logs on beach
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sunee
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We spent two nights here over July 4th. Bell service was prompt and courteous. Check-in was relaxed and efficient. Everyone we met was pleasant; happy to see us. The lobby area is nicely decorated.

Our 2nd floor room was not the best the Inn has to offer. It overlooked the parking lot and offered a mountain view. Not unpleasant but not the ocean-front view we had hoped to get. The room was well appointed. Very clean. Huge bathroom. Flat screen TV was excellent. Room service was always top shelf.

Our only complaint was dinner reservations at the Inn. We made them for the 8:30PM seating (there are two: 6 and 8:30) and told the person taking the reservation that we looked forward to having dinner looking out over the beach at sunset. Well, the dining room faces east and has the same 2nd floor view as our room. Food and service was excellent, however so it worked out. Each morning we enjoyed our continental breakfast. Again, excellent food and service.

The Inn has an excellent location and offers easy access to local activities.

• Liked — Location on beach
  • Disliked — Room location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
#10 of 14 in Cannon Beach
Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
#8 of 14 in Cannon Beach

Been to Stephanie Inn? Share your experiences!