“Cozy, modern, unpretentious - and right on the beach.”
Review of Blue Gull Inn

Blue Gull Inn
Ranked #5 of 18 Cannon Beach B&B and Inns
Staunton, Virginia
“Cozy, modern, unpretentious - and right on the beach.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

It as been years since I stayed at the Blue Gull Inn, so I'd been thinking of it as a cute, slightly funky little place in the heart of midtown Cannon Beach. Well, the Gull hasn't moved. It's still within a few steps of the beach - right at Haystack Rock. And within walking distance of good restaurants, the town's best coffee shop, and other amenities.

But inside its room and cottages, the Blue Gull has been entirely transformed. Our spa suite was unpretentiously ultra-modern, with a gas fireplace, a whirlpool bath AND a separate shower in the bathroom, and - to save room - a super-comfortable Murphy bed in the living room. The kitchen was, likewise, sleek and modern, without announcing itself.

All in all, the Blue Gull is everything anyone would need to enjoy a few nights, or longer, at Cannon Beach. What a pleasant suprise!

Room Tip: The Blue Gull is one of several properties managed by the same company. Ask to see a variety of roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brabantio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We come to Cannon Beach every year, and have consistently stayed with Haystack lodgings in one of their Inns. The Blue Gull while very cute and clean has never been my first choice, as it is just to noisy. You can hear the people in the next room talking, you can hear what they're watching on TV. It makes for frustrating stay. Unfortunately I booked to late this year, and this was all that was left in my price range. AT least Haystack lodgings still offers reasonable rates for those who can't afford the pricier Cannon Beach accommodations. Their lodgings are always clean, and the staff are always very helpful and friendly. If the noise level from the rooms beside you don't bother you, then fine. Otherwise, I'd choose one of their other offerings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Northshore65
Redmond, Washington, USA
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Given the price we had to pay (~$130) for a night this turned out to be very mediocre. The location is close to the beach and the room was nice and clean. It had a small but good bath-tub with jets in 'em. Other than that the unit we were in (7) had no views (and was pretty noisy. You could hear people in other rooms and cars pulling out of the driveway.

Contrary to the other reports, the lady who handed out the keys to us was very nice. She had no issues handing out the keys so that we could check out the rooms. Gave some nice suggestions about local restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Abhinaba
Tualatin
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The check-in was a joke. She was worried about giving us the key at five minutes to three!! She knew we were walking and could not possibly get there before 3;00pm!! Coffee cups left dirty the second day, coffee pot not cleaned out and no coffee package for the second day. The lighting is so poor you could not read in bed. Room the size of a rabbit hutch and for that you pay 150.00 per night and can't see the ocean. You can do better than that in Hawaii..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wanda Lee T
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed June 6, 2013

If you stay at this hotel, I hope you encounter a different employee than I did when trying to check in.
After driving from Denver, I arrived at 10:00 am, much earlier than expected. I knew that check in time wasn't until 3:00 pm, so I went into the office to see if it would be possible to check in any earlier than 3:00. I wasn't expecting to check in at that moment, I just wanted to know if I could check in any earlier or if I should tour the area for a while. The employee's response was to roll her eyes, become visibly irritated with me, and tell me angrily that there was no way I was checking in this early and that I needed to come back later.
I came back at 1:30 pm to see if the room might be ready. The employee again became immediately irritated with me and told me that it wasn't ready for check in.
I came back shortly after 3:00 pm knowing I should be able to definitely check in and not need to deal with this employee any more. As soon as I walked in, she asked me if I had anything better to do than bother her with checkin on my room. She did finally check me in, and luckily I didn't encounter her again.
The hotel itself is great. Good price and excellent location. My poor customer service experience was a bummer of a way to begin my vacation though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
haystackas, General Manager at Blue Gull Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I would like to extend a sincere apology for the experience you had with our office staff. I appreciate your feedback and want to let you know that your input was valuable for us in reviewing our current staff and policies. We have made changes on how early check-ins are handled and to ensure we have clear communication with our guest throughout the process. Customer service is the most important part of our business and I personally take responsibility for our team. We hope that some day you would give us a second chance to prove ourselves to you - thanks again for your feedback.
Belfair
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Blue Gull was my first experience with Coast Lodgings and I've continued to stay in their various properties during each visit to Cannon Beach. I found the Blue Gull to be quiet, peaceful, reasonably priced for a family on a budget, and a nice very short walk to the beach. Had everything you could think you need, even toys to play in the sand. Bed was a bit hard for my liking, but otherwise a great. The larger rooms were more cozy and decorated, but still a great place to stay. Wonderful staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The little cottages are great for a family of four. You don't have people right next to you and there is plenty of room for everyone to relax.We liked the short walk to the beach and it is close enough to downtown that you could easily walk there. We like the quietness of it's location as well. The jacuzzi spa cottage is well worth it if you can get one. We found it very economical. The weather was nice so not having a ocean view was not a big deal because we just walked down to the beach all the time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family