“Small location, amazing food.”
Review of Castaways

Castaways
Ranked #6 of 50 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a small, family owned and operated restaurant specializing in international fusion cuisine. We have a full bar with fresh-squeezed juices and home-made syrups, etc. Our focus is on quality and creativity!
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife was skeptical of this place, it was small and decor was pretty budget looking. Most of all though she hates a wait for any kind of dining. We were lucky enough to make it here on a Wednesday night, so our wait for a table was only a few minutes, but it's clear from the size of the tiny tiki, the wait could get very long on busier days. We ordered Mediterranean rolls for an appetizer and were blown away by them, you only get two with an order but they were reasonable size. At that point I couldn't wait for my haystack chicken to arrive for my dinner entree. It did not disappoint. A chicken breast inside of a pastry she'll with cheeses, mushroom, some sort of delicious gravy, with mashed potatoes and perfectly sautéed vegetables for a side. The chicken was a bit over done for my liking, but I would not hesitate to try again. At this point I was very satisfied, but based on the quality of my meal up to this point I could not turn down dessert. You are out of luck here for dessert if you do not like coconut. I went with the dessert special if coconut brownie topped with coconut ice cream, it also came topped with whipped cream, chocolate sauce and strawberry slices. It was great but probably not as good as I had expected after eating the first two courses. My only negatives to this are wait times, cafeteria style bendable metal utensils, and the slightly dry chicken. All worth it for a great value on excellent food.

There are newer reviews for Castaways

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We were referred to this restaurant by the hotel manager at Lands End and she did not steer us wrong. The selection of unique cocktails and the diverse and interesting menu were exactly what we were looking for. The quality of the food was excellent with interesting combinations, rich sauces and crisp flavorful vegetables. We had the Haystack Chicken which was excellent and the mashes potatoes were amazing. Not the cheapest place but in line with the area I think. The owner and staff were extremely friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I do not normally write reviews but I just returned from dinner at Castaways and thoroughly enjoyed every piece of my experience. The atmosphere was special the food outstanding the service was incredible and other diners friendly and enjoyable. I could not have asked for a better evening out. This place gives Canon Beach hope!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

This tiny place at the edge of town slipped by our notice, but the referral of a trusted local sent us that way. The place is intimate ( read small ) and we ended up giving them our cell number for a call back after about a 1/2 hour wait.

They featured a nice selection of seafood ranging from just caught local (fresh halibut) to less local (prawns & ahi) and as the name would suggest, a great selection of excellent rum drinks.

We had an Ahi salad with Jamaican jerk dressing which was excellent and a great steak as well. The staff was very personable and the wine list looked good. In addition they were serving Carlton Cider Works Trapper bourbon barrel aged cider which was a treat.

Overall the menu was unique and appealing, fine dining in a funky friendly environment.

I hate to recommend it so well as it is like giving away the location of your secret fishing hole, but they earned it. I hope the wait isn't longer next visit.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Enjoyed dinner here during the first week of April. Had a few mixed drinks which were quite good and the bartender was friendly, and personable. Ordered the East meets West chicken scewers which came with 4 different dipping sauces and was one of the best appetizers I have had in a long time. Ordered the tuna for the main entree, and it was excellent as well. The only knock I would have on this place is that it took awhile to get our food, but drinks were always full and we were not really in a hurry so it was not really a big deal. Prices were not cheap but well within reason for the quality of food served. Overall I would rate this as one of the best meals that we had in Cannon Beach.