“It's all worth it.”

$100.00*
and up
Oregon Coast Day Trip from Portland: Astoria and Cannon Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: A large stone measuring 235 feet high.
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I did not spend a single night at this place because what I had planned was just to drive down there and take pictures during sunset. But I would really recommend anybody visiting this place to spend the entire day and probably spend at least 1 night. You won't regret it. It is beautiful for everybody. There are hotels and shops in the area.

Totally, I was not disappointed as I had taken great pictures. Spend walking along the beach with my camera and tripod. And most of all, witness how huge this Rock is.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach is one of my favorite places on earth. Great beach, nice town, relaxing spot.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We drove from Portland to Cannon Beach on Monday, July 14, 2014. We went in the late afternoon. It was sunny and warm in Portland, but cloudy, breezy and in the 50's at the beach. We parked at the "Haystack Rock" public park and ride lot, which was free. We weren't really sure exactly how to get to the beach and the rock from the lot, but we just started walking and eventually found a public access path to the beach. We stepped onto the sand and were immediately surprised at how cold it was. I am used to walking on sand in the summer on the east coast and the sand is usually hot! There was 1 gal there in a swim suit and she looked like she was freezing. I had on shorts, a short sleeved top, light weight sweater and scarf and I was still cold. There wasn't anyone swimming the day we visited, but there were people flying kites. At low tide, the beach is incredibly wide. The sand that is exposed by the low tide is solid and was easy to walk on. The beach is really clean. I saw no trash at all. I actually didn't see much in the sand at all...a few pieces of driftwood and a few small shells, but that was about all (other than the rocks). I was on the look out for sea glass, but I found nothing.

We saw some of the tide pools hear Haystack Rock, but saw no sea life. The tide was slowly coming in during our visit. We waded out to the rock to get a close up view, but didn't stay long as we were afraid the water would get too high to allow us to get back without swimming. And that water was COLD!! I can't imagine swimming in it. We didn't see much in the way of birds other than seagulls. But there were a lot of them flying around and perched on the rock.

There were shops and restaurants in the area where we parked, but we didn't visit any of them. There was also a public restroom across the street from the parking lot, but I didn't go inside as the odor was a bit intense.

Regardless of the weather, this place is gorgeous.

2  Thank VaAlleyCat
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Wow, have to see for yourself and walk on the beach. and go to a couple of the state parks in the mountains

Reviewed August 5, 2014

There are several of these up and down the Pacific coast and the are all amazingly different. This is a wonder in itself and the tide pools are fascinating.

Walking to it from Cannon Beach you can stop and sit on benches and take in all of the power and beauty of the Pacific.

Having been in the car a while sitting and looking out, listening to the waves against the shore, we relaxed and were ready to enjoy the town