“Great downtown location”

Schooner's Cove Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Cannon Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed here many years ago and loved it for the location and value. I'm happy to say the place is still great. It's on the beach, it's clean and quiet. It's close to great restaurants, shopping and the market. We will visit again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews on the Cannon Beach area and we selected Schooner's Cove Inn. It is in a perfect location...close to all the downtown shops and restaurants. Schooner's Cove is the perfect place to stay if you are looking for something that has a beach view (we kept our sliding open at night to listen to the waves) and close walking distance to shops and restuarants. Cannon Beach overall is a great, relaxing vacation spot. We walked 2-3 miles on the beach each day. My husband is not usually a fan of the sandy beach, but with low tide / high tide changes the sand is perfect for walking on.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jjdavis22
Reviewed September 29, 2009

We stayed 3 nights at Schooner's Cove Inn. We stayed in a second floor, double sloop room which had a vaulted ceiling, a fireplace, two double beds, and a kitchenette. The vaulted ceiling created a roomier feel to the room, and the window above the sliding door allowed in extra light. It was comfortable for 3 adults. The bathroom, although updated was still, on the small size. From our room and balcony, we had a great view of the beach and all of the activity there: horseback riding, kite flying, bike riding, and an endless parade of people and dogs. This inn has a no pet policy, and I witnessed it being enforced one day. A woman with a dog under her arm was talking to a guest on the inn's grass. In a few minutes, a staff member came out to remind her of the no pet rule. It was nice to see the rules being enforced. For privacy, I would recommend a second floor room. One night, three boys played soccer until 11 PM or so on the grass between the inn and the ocean. While they weren't being disruptive, I'm not sure if I would have wanted to keep my curtains open if I were in a first floor room. The inn seems like a great place for families with the grass, picnic tables, grills, and proximity of the beach.
There is no A/C. While this is no problem most of the time, one night it was. We were there on a Friday night, and there were 4 bonfires burning on the beach near the inn. Hoping that the wind direction would soon change, we tolerated the smoke for as long as we could. Finally, we had to close our sliding door. It did get stuffy after awhile with no A/C and no ocean breeze.
The staff was very helpful. They helped us get our airplane boarding passes 24 hours before our flight and gave us written directions to the airport. We left at 6AM for the airport and so we checked out the night before. All of this was handled very well.
The walk along the beach to Haystack Rock takes about a half an hour. We walked down there twice at low tide. There are fantastic tide pools around the rock and also thousands of birds, including puffins, on the rock! Definitely worth the walk!
The inn has a great location. We parked the car and left it there - except to drive to Ecola State Park. Walking to restaurants, the grocery store, and shops is a lot easier than driving the car on the streets with all the tourists!
Finally, we fell in love with Tillamook ice cream and was buying it by the half gallon at the local grocery store by the time we left! Eat it whenever you can!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Hulagirl74
Reviewed September 14, 2009

My wife and I stayed in Room # 44. We were originally booked into staying in room #41, but asked for an upgrade at checkin as we figured the property would be slow for the 2 nights we stayed as we checked in on a Monday. The front desk was very accomodating as we were instantly moved to room # 44.

Each and every room had a view. We had a second floor room which was completely renovated and updated. We didnt hear a peep for the two nights we stayed from anybody.

Everything in Cannon beach is walking distance. There are restaurants and shops 1/2 block behind this property. As it was mentioned elsewhere, Haystack rock was 1/2 hour walk (very enjoyable), and the 'other' part of town (downtown or midtown) was a 5 minute walk. We ended up going to the Lumberyard for dinner the first night which was OK (upscale 'pub' style food) and to the Wayfarer at Surfsand the second night which was a little better. The surfsand had better reviews on TA, and we were originally booked into there but I'm glad we switched last moment because the hotel / resort was far too 'large' for our taste. Cannon beach is a small quaint seaside town and the surfsand is trying to emulate the larger chain hotels by building a monster structure right on the beach.

Save a few $'s, stay at Schooners Cove...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrandmrsp
Reviewed September 6, 2009

This hotel had a great location right on the beach. We had a second level "Sloop" room, which I believe is one of their smaller rooms, but it was fine for a family with 2 small children. There was one bedroom, separated from the rest of the room by a wall halfway across -- not totally private but okay. The room itself included a hideabed, which was enjoyed by my kids, 5 and 9. There was a refrigerator and wet bar as well as a small table that seated 4.

The room was clean but noisy. A lot of the rooms here are made to accommodate more than one family. The room below us had at least two families staying there, and they were pretty rowdy. We couldn't go out on our balcony without hearing their very loud conversation during the evening. While it wasn't the hotel's fault that they were loud, the fact that a lot of their rooms seemed to be made for groups was a definite factor.

The view from our room was outstanding. We had an end unit, so there were some trees that partially blocked the view just a bit from one side, but not so much that it bothered us at all. I'm all about view -- you will not be disappointed in this one! It looked to me like every room in the hotel had an equally excellent view. No rooms behind the office, etc. Everything right on the beach. All second floor rooms had balconies, all ground floor rooms had patios. There was a small grassy area just big enough for picnic tables right outside the hotel (maye 20' or so?), then you were on the beach.

There was a large jacuzzi that could be reserved. It was located inside, but had large windows. You can't reserve it until the day you want to use it. We called in the morning and had no trouble getting a reservation. It was nice, but it was very hot and we couldn't find a way to adjust the temperature. You can also reserve the laundromat. At the time we called, only one time was available, right at dinner, so we didn't use it.

Service was an issue. We left the housekeeping sign on our door when we went to the beach one morning; when my husband returned to the room a couple of hours later, he found the door to our unit standing wide open with no housekeeper or cart in sight! He was not happy that our room was wide open, with his computer sitting on the kitchen table and my purse sitting on the floor in the bedroom. The kitchen area had been cleaned, but otherwise the room was as we left it, with the bed unmade and the hideabed still pulled out. He waited in the room for 30 minutes before locking up and going back out to the beach. When we returned in the afternoon, the room was still in the same condition. He went to the office to complain and they sent someone up to finish the job.

Service in the office was okay, but not particularly friendly considering the fact that we were spending almost $300 a night. When we went to check out, I asked the person at the desk if we could have an extra 15 minutes past check out time. She said she didn't know, then someone else (evidently the manager) walked up and said they couldn't do any late checkouts in a very abrupt tone. When told I was only asking for 15 minutes, she agreed.

All in all, this was a pretty good stay, but given the price I may look elsewhere next time we're in Cannon Beach. When I spend $300 a night, I need to be someplace I love!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank EmeraldCityWA
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Just returned home from Cannon Beach and really enjoyed our stay at Schooner Cove Inn. Our family of 4 stayed in one of the Captains Quarters units and it was perfect. The room was extremely clean and the kitchenette well stocked with all the basic gadgets. Granite counters with new mahogany cabinets in both kitchen & bathroom. No need to bring bathing supplies. The shower/bathtub have dispensers with awesome shower gel, shampoo, & conditioner.
The location is truly perfect for families. The property is kept up very nicely & the sand is literally a few steps away. No need to walk down dozens of steep steps to feel the sand in your toes. We had a first floor unit which was perfect for the kids. It provided easy access to & from the beach. There is also a very shallow tide pool that is a perfect water spot for small children. Gas grills are available on the lawn as well as picnic tables & beach chairs. No need to pack sand toys. Hotel has a nice selection for kids to use during their stay. The views from the property are quite beautiful and Haystack Rock is just a short walk away. All in all is was a perfect getaway for us & I don't have a single bad comment to make. We have found the perfect place to stay at Cannon Beach.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Our three-day stay here was very nice. This hotel is right on the beach with a beautiful view of several sea stacks to the north, and a thirty-minute walk to Haystack Rock. We made our own breakfast and lunches in the room, and one night we took advantage of the gas grills and cooked our own dinner. Everything in this small town is very close - the main street is one block over, with lots of restaurants and shops available.
Our room (Super Sloop) was a bit smaller than I had pictured, but it served us well. The gas fireplace is a nice feature, something we enjoyed every evening. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The walls between some rooms seem to be quite thin - we could easily hear the couple's conversation next door to us, and the rooms, although clean, show just a little bit of tiredness for the price one pays. I have a hard time paying over $300 per night just to stay on the beach; if I were to visit Cannon Beach again, I would probably look for a rental property the next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family