“Since I can't have my "beach home"”

and 1 more site!
Schooner's Cove Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Since I can't have my "beach home"”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

As a Seattle native, I've been enjoying the natural beauty of the Oregon coast for 40 years. I've stayed at any number of oceanfront facilities looking for the perfect union of view, room comfort, host hospitality, and town ambience. I'd narrowed this last one (town ambience) down to Cannon Beach, Oregon a good 25 years ago, so the "mission" became finding the lodgings that fit my total comfort needs- both physical, practical and spiritual. Schooner's Cove is my beach home that I can't feasibly afford. Right on the ocean and backed right up to Bill's Tavern in the heart of town, this gem offers outstanding accommodations to suit various size groups. The staff is warm and feel like family; the grounds are meticulously maintained; the rooms are spotless! I'm giving my review because I just returned from Schooner's last night from a week's stay that was stupendous- this is out of character because I really want to keep Schooner's "my little secret." It is a little slice of Heaven; truly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julie K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I believe that Schooner's Cove Inn is the best value for an "up close and personal" ocean stay experience. The beach is 10 paces outside of your ground unit. It's quiet; parking is adequate; all the shops are within a block's walk of the Inn. We've stayed many different places in Cannon Beach during various times of the year and this Inn is the best!!! The ground floor units are spacious; the room service and accommodations are wonderful; the unit is clean and roomy; kitchen is fully stocked with cooking and eating utensils for a long weekend. From now on our stays in Cannon Beach will always be at the Schooner's Cove.

Room Tip: I'd select a ground floor unit because of the easy, private access to the beach and the deck is...
Green Features: Re-use the towels....they provide several so you won't go without during your stay.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here for two nights for a little weekend get-away This is not our first visit and we agreed we will definitely be coming back. The rooms are always clean and the staff friendly and helpful. We love the location; walking distance to everything downtown and of course, the beach access cannot be better. One thing we might recommend that would be nice are outdoor firepits. The common grassy area is a perfect location for this and it would be wondeful on those cool nights. Other than that; we love it here.

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on our drive back up the Coast, and we enjoyed every minute of it. Not only is it close to everything that you would need while in Cannon Beach, you've got an amazing view of the Ocean no matter which room you stay in. The staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were quiet, clean, and cozy. Not to mention having a little kitchen in the room made it feel like a home away from home. We will definitely be back again. Thank you!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I am used to beach motels being gross and not very well taken care of. Wow was I wrong with Schooners Cove. My expectations were blown away with the cleanliness of the rooms and proximity to cool shops, restaurants, and one of the best coffee shops in the country (yes, country).

I didn't need the staff much, but when I did they answered my questions, suggested restaurants, and were all very helpful with a positive attitudes. This alone is worth staying at this location for anyone unsure.

The views from the room were amazing, with beach access about 10ft from our room, with clean landscaping eventhough the weather didn't cooperate. Short walk south on the beach to Haystack Rock was worth a little rain-soaking, with portrait-like sunsets once the clouds decided to part.

I will definitely return to Schooners Cove.

Room Tip: Just make sure to get a beach view. It's worth the extra money spent.
Green Features: The usual towel-washing practice is normal amongst nicer hotels. No different here.
London, UK
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed for one night off season - without the crowds, this place is amazing and Schooners cove has a wonderful spot towards the northern end of the beach. Staff were lovely and made sure we got a booking for the private hot tub. We had a Super Sloop which was very comfortable for a family of 4 with a separate bedroom, double bed in an alcove, sofa and table near the kitchen area and direct access to the beach. There's nothing particularly special about the interior, but it has all you need. Bath tub/shower is of the made-from-one plastic type - clean and functional.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night last week. We did not have a reservation, as we were on a road trip down the Oregon/N.Cali coast line and decided to find places to stay based on whenever/wherever we decided to stop for the night. We chose Schooner's Cove Inn based on Tripadvisor reviews, their location, and the "mention Tripadvisor" special offer price for an oceanfront room. Our room was a "Captain's Quarters" (as seen in the hotel website photo). This hotel is within an easy walk to all the shops, galleries, and restaurants. It has it's own beach access, and Haystack Rock is right around the corner (walk out onto the beach and turn/look left).

Checking in was a breeze and the woman at the front desk was friendly and congenial. Parking in the hotel lot is unassigned, but even though it seemed there were plenty of other guests, we found a spot easily. There are no elevators to the second floor, however we found the stairs to the second floor very manageable with my huge suitcase.

The Captain's Quarter's room was quite spacious. It is basically a mini-condo and I immediately thought it would be fantastic for a week-long vacation rental. The kitchenette was well-stocked with coffee maker/coffee, pots, pans, dishes, utensils, etc. and it even has a dishwasher! The living area had a small table and chairs for four, a pull-out sofa bed, flat screen tv, and a gas fireplace that did an excellent job warming up the place. The balcony had two chairs and side table, and despite the cooler temps, we sat out there for our morning coffee and enjoyed the fresh air and spectacular view (see photo).

The bathroom had good counter space and lighting. The shower was great and there were plenty of towels.

The king size bed was in a room of it's own with a small window that faced out to the parking lot. Plenty of storage in the drawers and closet. The bed was comfy--felt like a firmer pillow top. Because of the season, we had the window shut, and heard no parking lot noise. We liked that the room had it's own tv.

Overall, I was impressed by the room, the CLEANLINESS of everything, and my only disappointment was not being able to stay longer.

PS. The wifi was good!

Room Tip: Choose a room with an oceanfront view and balcony if you can afford it, even during the off-season...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple