“A charming place to stay at Cannon Beach”
Review of McBee Cottages

McBee Cottages
Ranked #7 of 18 Cannon Beach B&B and Inns
Tualatin, Oregon, United States
“A charming place to stay at Cannon Beach”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I am not a fan of big cookie cutter hotels, so I love the McBee and also their other 3 propertries. I like the McBee because it reminds me of the places that my parents took me to as a youngster. The rooms are well appointed, maintained, & comfortable. It's great to able to drive right up the front door, and unload. It is a block away from the beach, very convenient.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
CBHotelGuestSvcs, Owner at McBee Cottages, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Guest,
I am so thrilled that you think the rooms at the McBee Cottages are "well appointed, maintained, & comfortable." I thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and I will pass your comments on to my team. I hope to see you back again soon.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed in #28. It was a large 1 bedroom unit with a full-sized fridge which was helpful when storing our food for the weekend. Our friends stayed in two of the other cottages - so fun to have all of us (and our dogs) close together.

What a charming bunch of cottages. We hope to return again.

Our feedback:

- Bonnie was wonderful to work with. We had been quoted a different price for our room, and she was able to help in a calm, helpful, efficient and very courteous manner. She's what customer service should be like.

- We arrived at the front desk near closing time - 9:55pm - trying to get there by 10pm from Canada - we were met by Holly at the front desk. She seemed quite irritated by our late arrival. Hardly spoke with us. Finally arriving from over 9 hours of travel, I would have really appreciated a warm hello. I had asked previously (on the phone a few days before) if friends could pick up our keys if we were late, but was told no - for we had to sign for the keys. However, I found out later that there was some sort of lock box where keys could be picked up after hours...? Much of our, and our friends (and perhaps Holly's?) stress about not getting there before 10pm could have been avoided if we had been told about a solution beforehand. Not sure of the validity of the lock box rumour we heard, but I think for travellers coming from afar, a policy about late night key pick up would be greatly appreciated.

- because there was an ice machine room between ours and the next cabin, we didn't hear our neighbours at all.

- it was so nice to stay somewhere where many other travellers had dogs as well. We loved this about McBee! The poo bag dispenser was readily available on the grass patch was great.

- you really are just a quick stroll down a street to the beach - a two minute walk (maybe less)

- loved the fire pit and the Muskoka chairs with the drink holders. We thoroughly enjoyed this gathering area.

- I was surprised that a dog friendly cottage would state that the dogs are not allowed on the furniture. I've stayed in many dog friendly hotels where this is not stated. However, for $15/stay, we managed to keep our dog off the sofa and bed for a few nights.

- would loved to have had a vacuum to vacuum a few areas myself (i.e. front entrance way) - the sand was a little much at times, and there was no dust pan for the broom.

Things I would ask maintenance to fix about the cottage:

- the countertops have mold around the small sink in the kitchen. I would change the entire countertop area (perhaps to a ceramic-like countertop with sink molded in, to avoid future water damage around the kitchen sink... or, perhaps change the size of the sink so that less splashing of water occurs?)

- the bathroom needs a side table between the sink and tub for counter top space in the bathroom (I just grabbed the side table from the living room and put that in the bathroom during our stay)

- the blower in the fireplace doesn't work very well, preventing the heat from being spread properly throughout the place and thus should be looked at

- I would replace the carpet in the unit with ceramic tile throughout... between the sand and the animal hair, I wouldn't have carpet in such a space

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Cannon Beach and McBee. The freedom of an off leash dog beach, with fires anywhere you please was so wonderful.

A few tidbits about the area:

- Go to Monk Coffee down the street and have a chai latte, vegan brownie and bacon blue cheese scone! Yum!

- Go to the french cafe next to the check in place for Cannon Beach Hotels - Wow, the Beef Deep and the Chicken Brie Sandwich were AMAZING! We also had the sweet potato soup - sooo good! The service was great, and the chef (Phil? I think) even came out to say hello.

Room Tip: Cottage 28 is on the main road that travels through Cannon Beach. We were there in the low season, s...
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind words following your recent stay with us in room No. 28 at the McBee Cottages. I was delighted that we met your high expectations and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future. I enjoyed sharing your review with Bonnie and my team, who were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I think I've stayed her at least 20 times in the past ten years and in recent times the hotel co-owner, Claudia, has done a FABULOUS job of "tweaking" the BcBee ( as well as their other properties) and I think it is basically PERFECT,
What Iove:
-the one time pet fee of $15.00. Yup, no matter how long you stay! I can't think of anywhere else I've stayed with such a reasonable fee for my beloved pooch
--the internet has been fixed! Years ago, under other management, the internet was IFFY at best. NOW it's fast high speed and reliable!
--love the little kitchens that come with some of the units. ALL units have fridges (mini) and microwaves but some of them hav stoves. I like the option of cooking for myself when I want so I always go with the units that have a stove
- WOW those nw mattresses are terrific! Clauida's partner told me they bought them locally and they're healthy and so comfortable. And I love the new sheets--all cotton--which were a godsend during the heat wave this past week
=the food at their cafe is delicious. I tried 2 different sandwiches on two occasions and they were so good. Interesting flavorful combinations and beautifully presented.

Room Tip: In the winter make sure to get a room with a gas fireplace. They are so cozy! Rooms along the back...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
I am so thrilled that you think the McBee Cottages is just "basically PERFECT", and I thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I have passed your kind words to all the team who appreciate it, and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future -- with your dog! --. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance at any time.
Victoria, B.C.
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We just spent an enjoyable three night stay at the McBee Cottages. We stayed in #31 and found it very comfortable and quite spacious for a cottage. The location is great - one block from the wonderful beach and a few blocks to the town. The renos that were done to the inside of the cottages are excellent - don't be put off by the exteriors. Everywhere I've stayed with housekeeping facilities has asked that you leave the kitchen as it was found, so I have no problem with that. I also had no problem with paying an extra $15 pet fee for the stay. Some places charge that or more for each day. They provide tea/coffee/hot chocolate but don't replace them if you're there more than one night - a bit cheap. Also, I dealt with three different staff at reception and two of them (one especially) were not the best at their job. The third, however, was excellent. Overall, especially if you don't have to pay the full room price (it's a bit high but so is everything in Cannon Beach!) I would recommend a stay at McBees.

Room Tip: I believe room #31 is probably one of the best rooms, being more spacious.
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind words following your recent stay with us in room No. 31 at the McBee Cottages. I was delighted that we met your high expectations, and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Thank you again for your lovely review, I enjoyed sharing it with my team, who were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in Cannon Beach.
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We had originally booked a room at a different cottage, the Hearthstone, but were informed when we arrived that they were not available but they could put us in just across the street at the McBee Cottages, same price, same amenities. After a little 'haggling' they agreed to 'upgrade' us to their better 'suite'. OK that would be fine. We arrived at 'cottage' 31 and were very disappointed. First of we noticed the notice on the counter by the stove that there would be an additional $10.00 fee if the kitchen was not 'cleaned up' by us before we left. Also were informed that if there was additional items 'missing' that we would be charged for them, like cleaning supplies. Really? They advertise that they are 'pet' friendly. Sure, if you want to be subject to an additional fee for any cleaning that might be necessary, including any hair that might get on the couch. They did provide a rather well work 'pet' blanket that we could use for this purpose. The only good thing about this place is that they have been recently redecorated and I will say that who ever did the job did excellent work, given what thet had to work with. By the way the floor slopes about an inch and a half from the fireplace (gas, with no thermostat) to the outer wall. For what we paid I expected better . . . at least a little better. Never heard of additional charges for 'dishes' in the sink, especially since they have to sanitize them before the next guests (?) arrive. Save your money and keep looking . . . .

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
CBHotelGuestSvcs, Owner at McBee Cottages, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback, this is very important to us and we do read and respond to all comments. We are very sorry that the McBee did not meet your expectations. The McBee was built in the 1920's and 1940's (two buildings) and has been an institution in Cannon Beach since that time, and continues to be very popular. We've done our best to upgrade yet keep the feeling of the original buildings, something we are very proud of. All the surfaces are new and our kitchens are well equipped in a manner hard to find in a motel. We advertise as "housekeeping" cottages. This alerts guests to leave kitchens the way they were found, just as it is required in a vacation rental. Most of our guests sincerely appreciate a kitchen in which they may cook a meal and are more than willing to leave in order. Please accept our sincere apologies if you found our sign to be onerous or difficult to understand. We are inspected every six months, and we routinely sanitize before the next check-in.We do not have enough staff or time to clean everything in a full kitchen before each check-in. Our prices certainly reflect this compromise. Our sign does not indicate there are charges for cleaning supplies, we gladly provide them free of charge in all our cottages: dish soap, paper towels, napkins, salt and pepper, fresh sponges, dish towels, other cleaning supplies, and so on, etc., all refreshed at each daily service. Our pet fees are the most inexpensive in Cannon Beach, $15 per stay! We rarely charge a guest for extra pet cleaning. However, if the carpet must be cleaned due to pet damage, guests are charged a reasonable fee. Each unit has wall heaters with thermostats, plus a gas fireplace for your enjoyment and pleasure. Our price point is well below the standard for what we offer. Again, we are quite sorry you found the McBee disappointing, for that we are extremely sorry. Our guests happiness means everything to us. Perhaps one of our other properties would be more suitable, we do hope that you will consider staying with us again.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We had planned to spend two nights at McBee Cottages. When we opened the very small and poor quality hide-a-bed we found one lightweight blanket. Since we had two full grown people on that bed I called to ask where additional blankets could be found. I was told I could walk to the office two blocks away if I wanted one.
We had friends come to visit for the day. We were quiet and away from the hotel for a majority of the day. We returned to find someone from the office saying "there had been reports of more than two dogs in our room". I said there was for the day. She made it clear she would be returning later to check that the third dog was not spending the night. I found it interesting they could come check on the dog but could not bring us a blanket.

We decided we had such an uncomfortable night the first night and was made to feel so unwelcome the second night that we would just rather drive back to Portland.

The clerk at the desk was apologetic but no mention of a partial refund was made. Not that I would want to return to a place that was quite expensive for what was provided.

Additionally, being charged an extra 10.00 for not washing a few dishes... really! Isn't that against some health code to rely on customers to properly wash dishes for the next customer??

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ibulaura5
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your informative feedback and we appreciate hearing about your stay. Your disappointment is clear and we are sorry your experience did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately, your review is not straight forward and less than honest. Complaints were voiced to the Front Desk from other guests during your stay, additionally our entire housekeeping staff, many of whom have worked for this company for 20 years, were alarmed by the large number of people over occupancy (which you do not mention), and additional pets that were obviously sleeping in the room. An off-duty manager was alerted and chose to investigate and advised you that your party was over occupancy. We clearly advertise our kitchen cottages as "housekeeping" units. This alerts guests to leave kitchens the way they were found, just as required in a vacation rental. Most of our guests sincerely appreciate a kitchen in which they may cook a meal. We are inspected every six months and routinely sanitize before the next check-in. We do not have enough staff or time to clean everything in a full kitchen before each check-in. Our prices certainly reflect this compromise. Extra blankets are provided in each of our cottages and a blanket is provided on the hide-a-bed. Our rooms are more than adequately heated with wall heaters and a gas fireplace. Occupancy is mandated by state and federal fire code, laws to which we strictly adhere. We do hope that you will return to Cannon Beach in the future but find other lodgings that will better suit your needs.
Olympia
Reviewed March 19, 2014

For a living, I own vacation rentals so I am familiar with the industry, where mistakes may sometimes be made, and where, as a customer, I should offer some grace. This is not one of those times. I purchased a groupon and scheduled time with my Mom at the cottages for my 40th birthday. It is her favorite town, and I wanted to avoid the big 4-0 fanfare, ha ha.
What was disappointing about our stay:
Very musty smelling cottage
Long human hair on pull out mattress, which was like a prison mattress
Eyelashes on the pillows
Silverware in drawers were filthy, as they allow customers to save $10 by 'washing' the provided silverware. Yuck.
Coffee Splatter and other goo on walls
Cigarette burn in the only thin blanket provided
Despite having fireplace and small cadet heater, we both froze all night. I am used to sleeping with windows open year round and am NOT a sissy, but it was freezing! No extra blankets available.

The next morning (our only full day to enjoy the beautiful town) was spent by:
Stretching and trying to realign my spine after such a horrid night's rest
Popping 4 advil and drinking a pot of coffee, all to try to wake up and not feel so sore
Calling the front desk to notify of my awful night
Speaking with the manager who offered to move us to a nicer place
Packing up all of our stuff
Driving to the rental office that is not on site to get keys to new place, Sammy, the desk person, was not apologetic at all.
Driving to new location
Unloading car, only to find that the mattress was so worn out, with springs pushing through, that I almost began crying, but didn't.
Loading the car back up, driving back to the rental office to return keys and say Thanks but no Thanks. Person behind the desk didn't offer a refund of taxes paid or any other sort of compassion.

How this destroyed our trip:

Half of the day was eaten up by the time I found a place for us to stay (Surf Sand Resort, AMAZING)
My Mom and I were too exhausted and sore to enjoy our time there.
I had to spend an extra $150 on lodging that I did NOT anticipate
The room we found at Surf Sand that was affordable did not accommodate 3 guests, so my friend who was going to meet us there was unable to celebrate my birthday with us.

I tried to at least get a refund through Groupon and they offered me an $80 Groupon credit. At this point, a full refund won't ever capture the memorable 40th birthday I was trying to have. But a $80 groupon credit added insult to injury and I am left no choice but to share my experience in the hopes of saving others from the awful time that was had.

Room Tip: I was told our cottage (28) was their best unit. This leads me to believe there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mist C
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write and I appreciate your effort to explain what happened during your stay. I am deeply disappointed, as you are, in your experience. This is not the kind of stay we routinely provide our guests, nor is it the feedback we are used to hearing. I am always alerted after any early departure, but the Front Desk was very unclear about the actual problem and why you left. Sami indicated you were not happy at check-out, but explained that you did not share the problems. Sami was very concerned, but because of your very obvious upset she did not try to ask too many questions. She is one of our must popular Front Desk agents. We could not be more troubled by the issues that you have now shared and this experience on your birthday is unfortunate, we usually place a gift in the room for those who are celebrating. It is our policy when something like this happens that the room is inspected immediately by a housekeeping manager. She was unable to find any problems or issues. We find your comments very troubling, the mattress was brand new in the first room you occupied. Our rooms are checked carefully by a housekeeping manager after it is cleaned, quality control is key and essential to us, and we are more than happy to correct any issues that displease a guest during their stay. Apparently we missed the opportunity to make your experience everything that you could have hoped for on your birthday, and for that we deeply apologize.