“Nice festival”

Swan Island Dahlias
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Canby
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife has been doing mail-order with Swan Island for a few years, so it is probably inevitable that we would attend their annual dahlia festival. For me, our non-stop route from Santa Rosa to Portland made it pretty easy, plus I had never been to Portland and wanted to learn why everybody loves it. We got out to Canby on the Saturday before Labor Day. From the I-5, the path was pretty well-marked. The parking was extremely efficient. We wandered just a bit until one of the ladies advised us to catch the indoor exhibition before it got too crowded. The variety of colors, sizes and configurations of dahlias was extraordinary. We took lots of pictures and made lots of notes for placing orders. Our last step indoors was to place an order, which was also done very efficiently. We managed to get volume discounts and freebies, which always leaves one feeling like they did well. The outdoor plantings are just too overwhelming to describe. The colors go on for acres and no camera can do the scene justice, The festival also featured a few food booths that we did not try and a really decent band. Over the course of the weekend, I also learned why everyone loves Portland. I expect that I will be back to both.

1  Thank Chipol
"great attraction"
in 2 reviews
"on display"

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I didn't think I would enjoy going to a "flower show", but hey, this place is worth it. I have been going there for the last two years and this year was the third. This year I did something different - I stayed for the lectures for about 1 and 1/2 hours, and learned a lot. It was amazing to learn some of the things I did, and the questions from the audience were all good and kept coming. The show flowers are really neat and the flowers in the field are just vibrant. You gotta bring a camera. There is a beautiful little Koi pond as well as a fountain out in the field.

1  Thank mugshotmike
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have returned again to this wonderful place on the outskirts of Canby, Oregon. The owners welcome everyone to visit and enjoy the bounty of Dahlias in all their varied glory. There is limited parking close to the main picnic tables but a lot of parking is available on access roads cut divide the property. The walking is safe but not paved so plan to wear good foot ware. There is limited food during their yearly festival (Aug-Sep) but you won't go hungry. The display of flowers more than makes up for any lacking.....as the variety and expanse of flower fields is a truly great annual treat. Even if you have a passing interest in flowers, this visit will impress you with the best Nature has to offer.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I caught wind of this event on line and instantly knew I needed to go. If you've ever been to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival and like it--you'll like this. The fields are smaller than the tulip festival but the sheer variety and beauty of the dahlias make up for the lack of size. I suggest you pack a picnic for before or after you wander through the fields, it's such a serene place to enjoy a meal. Also, they don't have any food sales on site (besides candy bars in the gift shop). The only bathrooms are port-a-potties.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you have never seen how flowers are raised, this is the place to go. Rows and Rows of more kinds of Dahlias than you can imagine. Every one more beautiful than the next. Pack a lunch, there are picnic tables where you can enjoy the ambiance like you will never get in any restaurant. The Entire are of Canby just 20 south of Portland is quite a surprise as it is all farm country where you can buy product, wine and candy. Nice day trip, but you must have your own transportation.