“Rude reception”
Review of Silver Spur Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Burns
Silver Spur Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Burns
Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you are a smoker, or especially have a pet do NOT stop. If they have such a problem with these people, then they should put "non smoking, not pet friendly" on their sign. Those people need not stop.
We are on a short trip from Wyoming, passing through on our way to Sweet Home, OR and Prosser, WA. As we came into town, we saw this motel so decided to stop. As I walked into the lobby, the lady said "oh, you have a dog". I asked if they had a downstairs smoking room. At that time, she said "here comes the manager". He walked in the front door and she said "they have a dog, and they smoke", in a very rude manner. She proceeded to tell me that I would have to take my dog 3 blocks to walk it. "Not on my property" she said. The room was $42.00, which was very reasonable. My husband walked in the front door at that time, and I told him what she said. He said that was OK, we would just find another motel. At that time, I told her it seemed that having a pet and being a smoker were too much of a problem for them and left. I would not recomment this motel to anyone with a pet. My dog is my "kid" and is extremely well behaved. Also if you are a smoker, she is very rude about that also. NOT AT ALL RECOMMENDED!!!!!!

Room Tip: NOT PET FRIENDLY OR SMOKER FRIENDLY!!!!! Didn't get a room because of rude reception.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank A J
silverspurmotel, Manager at Silver Spur Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Around the Silver Spur Motel there are a number of good options to walk a dog. We like to explain some of these options to our guests as they check in. In the past, we have had guests take their dogs into our neighbor’s yards to go the bathroom. This didn’t go over very well with our neighbors. Explaining some of these pet walking options seemed to upset this lady. I don't understand why.

There are newer reviews for Silver Spur Motel

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is one of the most pleasant places to stay on a budget. Even with a budget I prefer this charming motel over the local chain offerings. Rooms are basic but very clean and with comfortable beds. Perfect for a good night sleep on a long road trip through Oregon's southeast.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is out dated but very clean. The price was good, room clean, and functional. Perfect if you just need to get some sleep. Would not recommend more than one night stay. Didn't try the breakfast. Lady at front desk was not the friendliest but the gentleman was.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Nothing fancy here - but adequate. The room is small with a charming western decor. Vanity outside the shower/toilet area (had a stall shower which worked well).
No table or chairs but a desk with chair and two extra chairs. There was a really good internet connection. Fridge and microwave - older TV.
The bed (queen size - they do not have any king size bedrooms) needed a new mattress as the one we had sank in the middle and caused a less than sound night's sleep.
A/C was quiet and efficient.
The couple at the front desk are sort of characters with a wee-tiny dog who is a unique personality himself. More than cute.
Chairs line the front of the hotel so you can sit and have a drink and watch the traffic on the one road that goes through Burns.
Overall a good place to stay. The best part is the price - very reasonable for a clean room and a one night stay. (Anything longer would probably turn out to be annoying with such a small space - and for us, the sinking mattress.)

Room Tip: We had a first floor room and could park the car right outside the door.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I arrived at the hotel one evening to find a couple working on reception whom I presumed were husband and wife.
On the morning of my departure at 8.55am, I entered the reception area to find the lady receptionist deliberately blocking my way. Bluntly she said "Breakfast's finished", despite the male receptionist having told me on my arrival that breakfast finishes at 9.30am. There was still 35 minutes to go, more than enough time to eat breakfast. Recognising this was the case, she then yelled at me: "I want you out of here by 9.30am", on the pretext that this is when the cleaners were due to arrive. I said she should wait until 9.30am before kicking up a fuss, and not before. Realising I wasn't going to be pushed around that easily, she then suggested I could take breakfast back to my room, but I decided to eat it there in the breakfast area of reception, as was my right to do so.
She then said "and you don't spend an hour on here either" pointing to the desktop computer in reception available for use by guests. This was extremely rude, and I got the feeling she was deliberately looking for an argument. I told her I didn't appreciate being spoken to like this.
I had used the computer on the two preceding evenings, and this was apparently something that bothered the two reception staff. There is no sign up stating that computer use is limited either in terms of length of time or time of day. One wonders why they provide a computer for guest use when they appear to object to guests using it. I never encountered this type of attitude anywhere else on my travels.
She then went in search of the person she called her husband, and on his arrival I complained to him about her behaviour and the offense I felt in being treated in this manner. She started pointing her finger at me, and I again told her off for this, once again a very ill-mannered way to behave. I had done absolutely nothing wrong to bring any of this on.
Her husband apologised for her behaviour, saying she'd had a brain aneurysm, and this explains why her speech was distorted as it was sometimes difficult to make out what she was saying at the end of her sentences. He said she "had some issues". In that case, she should not be helping to run a motel in a customer-facing role and abusing guests into the bargain! You'd think he'd have the intelligence to work this out. A business is only as good as the quality of the product or service it provides.
This has to be the worst experience I've had in a hotel or motel in decades of travelling all over the world. It is especially harrowing in that I gave the lady no reason to behave in this way.
I made sure I spread the word around about her later that day, as I visited the Harney County Historical Museum just opposite the motel and also the chamber of commerce and let them know all about it.
I also remember how unhelpful the couple were in terms of suggesting places to visit. They claimed they never left the hotel, so didn't know the area well. Perhaps this is true, but usually people have been able to help me. Lastly, they rather unhygienically let their dog run amok on the reception counter, close to the breakfast area where food is being served. I'm sure this has to be against the most basic rules of food safety and elementary hygiene.
If this can happen to me, it can also happen to you, so be wise and avoid this motel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
10  Thank levado656
silverspurmotel, Manager at Silver Spur Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

The reviewer raised his voice at the hostess for no apparent reason. He was asked to leave the breakfast area. This seemed to agitate him even more.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Passing through on way to Wyoming. Location was good, pet friendly, and clean. Continental breakfast included bagels, cereal and oatmeal. Have to walk across the street for dogs to void. It's a motel but they had a spacious room bigger than the chains I've been too. Recommend :)

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Mrsunderwood08
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I don't find my way to Burns very often but I have stayed here about 3 times in 20 years. I don't hunt deer nor meet the migratory birds every year. It seems that little aside from Wi-Fi has changed at Silver Spur. Someone has clearly done the maintenance well. I also recall it was clean and overall pleasant years ago as well as today.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Leigh E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burns
Americas Best Value Inn
Days Inn Burns
Days Inn Burns
#3 of 3 in Burns
Rory and Ryan Inn
Rory and Ryan Inn
#2 of 3 in Hines
Best Western Rory & Ryan Inns

Been to Silver Spur Motel? Share your experiences!