“Excellent Hot Springs and Great Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crystal Crane Hot Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burns
Crystal Crane Hot Springs
Bend, Oregon
“Excellent Hot Springs and Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I just returned from a wonderful 3 days at this hot springs. The wind blew heavy for two of the three days but, with the new hot tub bye the pool, it made it a wonderful time. I have to say the staff went way out there way while I was there and believe the last review was somewhat harsh. I will return over and over again. The room I stayed in was very clean and a great value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank riverwalker12

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Eastern Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We have stayed at the Crystal Crane cabins on numerous occasions while we purchased property in the area and have taken family and friends there when they have come to the area to visit. We have also purchased their "tub" cards in the past.

I would recommend the facility but I would also caution visitors not to expect the most pleasant service from all of the staff. The younger staff members have always been helpful and courteous, while their manager has always came across as curt and unwelcoming.

During a recent visit while my wife and I rented a tub, I was asked to leave the common area during a rain storm while my wife was still using the tub and well within our 1 hour time period. I was told, "sorry to put you out in the rain but this area is for our over night guests only". We have never observed this posted. Our assumption was that when you pay for two people to use the tub you can come back in the building, I would think it would be difficult to sell concessions and other services if one cant come back in or sit in the lounge area.

We most likely will not be returning or bringing our future guests.

Room Tip: Cabins are good, trailer is ok
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Tim A
Union, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Crystal Crane Hot Springs is remote and isolated, although a local old-timer argued with my classification. "We're not remote--we're just in between." Crystal Crane is a few miles from Crane, OR (which has the last public boarding school) 28 miles south of Burns. That translates to 2.5 hours east of Bend, 3.5 hours south of Baker City.

Do yourself a favor and get a private tub. They come in various sizes. They are housed in private little cedar rooms. The outside pond is great for seeing stars, but be warned that the winter wind is wicked and drops the outside pond temp significantly. When I was there in Feb it didn't get over 90 so the tubs were a must.

The cabins are tiny and comfortable. Showers and bathrooms separate. All the buildings are heated with the thermal water and are toasty warm in the winter. You can use the Camp Kitchen to cook for yourself and hang out in the Commons room. Cook in the Camp Kitchen--otherwise you have to drive to Burns or the Crane store which has some groceries, supplies and cafe.

The owners are wonderful and accommodating, completely dedicated to the springs.

Fun attractions are the Pete French round barn (30 miles), crater hikes and plenty of open, good blacktop for road biking.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Nellamae
Ladysmith, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed here in September 2013. Nice rustic facilities and the hot pond was very nice.
Would definitely come again. It is out of the way but worth taking a side trip. Stayed here in an RV. Staff were friendly and helpful. Wish they could expand there number of Rv sites.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank William W
Yamhill, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

First keep in mind this is not the Hilton. It’s a small resort (not the best choice of words) about 25 miles from the nearest town. If you’re looking for a 5 star, or even 3 star, experience pass this place up.
Having started with a disclaimer let me add that I’ve been staying here every fall for 3-4 nights for years. It’s a quaint facility with small cabins with a common shared bath/shower room a short walk away. They also have a small common kitchen for guests to use. In the main building there is a large common room with couches, TV and a fireplace. This is a great place to get off the grid, enjoy rustic amenities at a fairly cheap price. The price of the room includes access to the open pond (about ½ acre) that runs from about 95-105 degrees. There’s nothing better than to walk out of your cabin at 6am and into a pond with rising steam and watching the sun rise over the distant hills. I’ve stayed in plenty of 5 star resorts over the years, and will continue to do so but I must say that our annual trip to Crane is a highlight of the year. This place is so rustic that you’re forced to do nothing but relax……I love!

Room Tip: one cabin has a queen all the others have twins
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank harpergd
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

This is not the ritz. You will sleep in a cheezy rennovated tuff shed.... and i just love it! The hot spring is a pond and is maybe 8 feet deep in the middle. The rooms are small but comfortable. This is best in cooler months as there is no ac in the cabins. Halfway between boise and bend... couldnt ask for more!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Tee_jay78
Bend, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here several times and always had a great time. Cabins are nothing fancy but we dont spend much time in them. Beds are not very comfortable to me. The staff has always been very very friendly and welcoming. The pond is awesome even if you cannot drink beer in it. The camp kitchen is a nice feature also. They have all the basic needs so you do not have to pack everything. My favorite part is sitting in the pond at night listening to all the coyotes.

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank Kevin G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burns
Americas Best Value Inn
BEST WESTERN Rory & Ryan Inns
Rory and Ryan Inn
Rory and Ryan Inn
#2 of 3 in Hines
Days Inn Burns
Days Inn Burns
#3 of 3 in Burns

Been to Crystal Crane Hot Springs? Share your experiences!