“Hail Howard - King of the Chowder”

Sporthaven Marina Bar And Grill
Ranked #10 of 64 Restaurants in Brookings
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Portland, Oregon
“Hail Howard - King of the Chowder”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stopped at the information stand down at the docks to find the best chowder in this coastal town. I came back to the car thinking either we were on to the local gem, or I just met Howard's cousin. Howard is the chef and owner of the Sporthaven Marina. As several signs out front attest, his chowder is award winning. Hands down the best I can remember having. If I lived locally, I would be here all the time. Besides the chowder we had oysters and clam "strips". When the clams arrived I told the waitress I did not order fish & chips - I ordered clams. She glanced at the dish and said "Oh yes, those are clams". <see photo> Exactly what you would hope for in a small town dockside fish place. it was great to see Howard out socializing with the regular customers - reminded me of Cheers in a way.

• Visited April 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Don't miss this if you are craving chowder, fish tacos or battered cod! It's a little noisy with the bar but very friendly place and who cares! The fish and chowder were awesome! Not a fancy restaurant, just good food!

• Visited April 2013
Crescent City, California, United States
“Best clam chowder anywhere!!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Must try the chowder. Owners are such nice people!!! Staff is awesome!!! Love this place:)...............

Brookings, Oregon
“Best chowder and burgers in town”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Lots of restaurants have come and gone in this building, so locals tend to ignore it, except for the small bar, but tourists fill it up on nice days down at the port. What sets it apart from any other fish & chip-type place I've ever been to is the type of clam they use in their chowder and clam strips. These clams are enormous, like razor clams, but melt-in-your mouth tender and sweet, not tough and rubbery. The clam strips are more like clam steaks. Be sure to ask for a knife and fork to handle them hot. Locals are always arguing about who has the best burger in Brookings, but that was almost an oxymoron until this restaurant opened up last summer. Their bacon cheddar burger is one of the best I've ever tasted anywhere in the world. The patty has got to be close to a half-pound of very lean beef, topped with a thick slice of real cheddar and crisp thick bacon for $6.95. Yet, most of the time I turn this down for the clam strips. That's how good they are. By comparison, the fish & chips are very good, but not my favorite in town. They coat a large slab of fish with breading, resulting in what I think is too little coating for the volume of fish once you cut it apart. If you think other places use too much breading and too little fish, you'll love the Sporthaven Marina.

The service is just, well, unusual. They were slammed and were trying out a new computerized ordering system the first time we tried the restaurant. It took 45 minutes to get my wife's order and they'd lost mine completely. To make up for it they brought me some free chowder while they made my order. We almost didn't go back, but I'm glad we did. The service is very friendly and usually prompt and accurate now, unless they get too busy. The owners often go around to chat with every customer, and they usually hug us now. They close by 6 p.m. in the winter, but if the locals ever catch on to what they've got here, they'll have to extend their hours.

Visited February 2013
Medford, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Chowder”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We always stop for lunch at this little bar and grill in the marina. Just love a bowl of their delicious chowder [ where you can actually find clams] and a fish sandwich. Would not think of bypassing this friendly place!

• Visited February 2013