“Disappointing lunch”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Jose, California
“Disappointing lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We passed through Brookings on the last day of our Oregon Coast trip, Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor, we stopped at the Art Alley Grille for lunch, The place looks nice, a unique concept of an art gallery with a restaurant upstairs. We sat on the balcony, enjoying the first rays of sun breaking through the fog.
The clam chowder was rather good but overly salty. The Thai salad I opted for looked wonderful but that first impression went downhill with the first bite: the skewered beef tasted off, almost foul, the greens were rather tired and the cashews and peanuts looked suspiciously identical to the ones you get in a bag of snacks. My husband's looked unhappy as he ate his smoked turkey sandwich, which apparently wasn't much either. We had some wonderful meals along the coast during our week there, and this was quite an anticlimax.
Going through the rave reviews again makes me wonder if the place perhaps fairs better at dinner time.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank LoveTraveling

New York City
“Top notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Nice atmosphere and delicious food. I had the risotto with salmon added and the salmon was tender and delicious yet thoroughly cooked. The risotto was flavorful. I can't quite remember what my husband and sister had now, but they enjoyed their dishes too. I did notice that the table next to us ordered some sort of bread with dip/olive oil and the bread had been toasted to the point of being burnt. Now, I personally would never serve burnt bread to customers, but I didn't order it and I did enjoy what I had hence the five stars. Just remember it can be a bit pricey for the area, but it is great food.

We also greatly enjoyed wondering through the attached art gallery upstairs viewing art by various artists on our way out.

• Visited September 2011
southern oregon
“One of the Best Restuarants in Oregon, Not Just Brookings!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have been to Brookings many times in the 35 years I have lived in Oregon and just this month discovered this little gem.
I had dinner there on August 2, 2012, by myself, and was thoroughly impressed by the atmosphere, decor, staff and the food. It was sooooo good that I went back to the Illinois Valley where we live and brought my wife back there the following Saturday night. Again, the whole experience was delightful. Their vegetable beef soup was homemade, the salad had just the right amount of a light vinaigrette dressing on it and the bread was super. My wife had the rack of lamb and it was prepared to perfection. She ordered it medium rare and it arrived exactly as such. Lamb is the only meat I don't care for, but it looked so good I had to try it. It was more tender than a prime fillet mignon and was seasoned with just the right amount of spices so as not to overpower the meat's flavor. My seafood risotto had tons of great seafood in it and was great as well.
This restaurant is quiet, classy, and great for that romantic dinner out or any occasion and the people of the area should be thankful for such a great place to eat! The soft music being played on the keyboard was a nice addition to a very romantic evening.
My only regret about this experience is that we don't live closer so we could enjoy it more often!
By all means, don't pay any attention to the Google reviews! There is a reason this restaurant is rated the number 1 in the Brookings area.
Try it,,,,, You'll like it!

• Visited August 2012
California
“A wonderful meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Thanks to on-line reviews, I found the Art Alley Grille in Brookings, OR, and I was not disappointed. My dinner tonight was perfect! The rack of lamb, consisting of 8 chops, was cooked exactly as I had requested. The entree was preceded by a seafood stew that was thick with bay shrimp and fish in a tomato-y broth. A diner at a near-by table asked me if the "soup was fishy," and I said "Absolutely!" It was brimming with seafood. The salad was good, the warm wheat bread was filled with crunchy grains, and the garlic mashed potatoes were flavorful. Two glasses of a great red wine and a piece of gooey, warm flour-less chocolate cake rounded out this very memorable meal. The servers were attentive and cheerful. My only suggestion to the restaurant owners is that the place is too nice to have table runners (over their white tablecloths) made of black vinyl. But the music and the art work on the walls made it easy to overlook this tiny flaw. If I return to Brookings, I'll definitely come back.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank anescapeartist
Granite Bay, California
“Best Little Bistro in Brookings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

We go to Brookings about once a year to visit, and this time we found this little local secret place which is entered on a little alley behind the stores along Chetco Avenue. It's very small and intimate and quaint, and with a romantic atmosphere. Inside there's maybe a dozen tables downstairs (with an overflow to the upstairs level which is at street level, which is normally an art gallery). This was a busy Saturday night due to the 20th Annual Kite Festival which was held down at the Port of Brookings harbor. The restaurant was full when we got there, but our reserved table for four was immediately made available.

Dinners ordered were Osso Buco and risotto with chicken, nothing was left of them. They followed some excellent seafood soup and salads, both of which are included in the dinner price. The white bread and butter were good, too, although the bread lacked crunchy crust because it seemed to be steamed by a heater drawer. There is an extensive, over 100 bottle wine list, and some of them are available by the glass, but most just by the bottle. There are enough options by the glass, but it would be better if more of them were available that way. I seem to be in a nit-picking mood tonight, these were very minor flaws in an otherwise excellent dining experience, with good food and superior service by friendly staff. When we return to Brookings we will certainly return to this fine establishment. Be sure to make a reservation, though.

• Visited July 2012