“Great Food, Slow Service”
Review of Cafe Kitanishi

Cafe Kitanishi
Ranked #23 of 64 Restaurants in Brookings
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Earth
“Great Food, Slow Service”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Excellent food. Pricey but worth it. Slow service but worth the wait as almost everything is made to order.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Nunio

Myrtle Point, Oregon
“Great place for lunch!”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

GREAT Bento Box. The server/owner was wonderful, when I was ordering I asked about rice noodles due to my gluten free diet. She informed me that she offered a gluten free tempura dish in the bento section!!! Yippee! I haven't had tempura for a long time....so happy to see gluten free on this menu. The food was great, hot and tasty.

The costs isn't cheap, about $16 per person.....but the food is high quality so paying $16 for lunch is OK!

I come to Brookings on business about 4 weeks a year and will definitely be BACK on my next visit to sample more items on the menu!

Visited April 2012
Brookings, Oregon
“Excellent food.”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Love it but very expensive. Worth going to if you have the extra money.

1 Thank Lovetotravel51780
talent
“The worst service ever”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We dined at Cafe Kitanishi last year and enjoyed the food very much. We were so happy to find good food in Brookings and were excited to return this year. We had reservations for 3 and were promptly seated at a table for 2. After complaining we were moved to a larger space. Then we waited to order...and waited...and waited...Our server was the least personable, least helpful server I have ever experienced. I tried to get over the frustration of ordering but then we proceeded to wait for our order...and wait...and wait. It took at least an hour. Our food arrived and was quite good. We quickly ate and then, you guessed it, we waited over 35 minutes for a bill. I finally got up and stood by the door. My server took my money and did not say a word when I expressed my frustration with the long wait. I hope they can improve their service in the future.

• Visited September 2011
6 Thank sheilade
Brookings, Oregon
“Best food in Brookings, and best sushi anywhere!”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We go to Kitanishi regularly. They have wonderful food and great service. Easily my favorite restaurant in Brookings and my favorite sushi anywhere.

The fish is really fresh, there is not "fishy" smell associated with it (how you know sushi fish isn't good) and the sushi is professionally made by their sushi chefs. The appetizers (particularly calamari and the two types of prawns) are wonderful, I believe Kitanishi makes their own tempura and sauces and they are yummy! And the cheesecake and desserts are to die for!

They also have wonderful coffee, as they are a coffee shop as well in the early hours of the day. Their hours are a bit odd, with them not being open roughly half the nights/days of the week. I believe lunch is served Tue-Fri and Dinner is served Thurs-Sat nights. It's something you get used to, it is understandable (considering how much work goes into a restaurant). I do, however, highly recommend making reservations - they are busy and popular!

The service is friendly and attentive, always making guests feel comfortable. They knowledgeably answer any questions you might have about the food.

Awesome restaurant!!!