“The worst service ever”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We dined at Cafe Kitanishi last year and enjoyed the food very much. We were so happy to find good food in Brookings and were excited to return this year. We had reservations for 3 and were promptly seated at a table for 2. After complaining we were moved to a larger space. Then we waited to order...and waited...and waited...Our server was the least personable, least helpful server I have ever experienced. I tried to get over the frustration of ordering but then we proceeded to wait for our order...and wait...and wait. It took at least an hour. Our food arrived and was quite good. We quickly ate and then, you guessed it, we waited over 35 minutes for a bill. I finally got up and stood by the door. My server took my money and did not say a word when I expressed my frustration with the long wait. I hope they can improve their service in the future.

6  Thank sheilade

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We go to Kitanishi regularly. They have wonderful food and great service. Easily my favorite restaurant in Brookings and my favorite sushi anywhere.

The fish is really fresh, there is not "fishy" smell associated with it (how you know sushi fish isn't good) and the sushi is professionally made by their sushi chefs. The appetizers (particularly calamari and the two types of prawns) are wonderful, I believe Kitanishi makes their own tempura and sauces and they are yummy! And the cheesecake and desserts are to die for!

They also have wonderful coffee, as they are a coffee shop as well in the early hours of the day. Their hours are a bit odd, with them not being open roughly half the nights/days of the week. I believe lunch is served Tue-Fri and Dinner is served Thurs-Sat nights. It's something you get used to, it is understandable (considering how much work goes into a restaurant). I do, however, highly recommend making reservations - they are busy and popular!

The service is friendly and attentive, always making guests feel comfortable. They knowledgeably answer any questions you might have about the food.

Awesome restaurant!!!

Reviewed May 29, 2011

We found Cafe Kitanishi (Kita means North and Nishi means West) reading Trip advisor - thank you fellow travelers - and had a good meal and a lovely, relaxing evening. We sat in upholstered club chairs at a table by the window. Friday night and the place was humming with contented diners. We had the Rock n Roll - which was fantastic (the most popular sushi here) and the Fire Engine, also great. The vegetarian roll was a bit on the bland side, but a slice of the pickled ginger and a teeny schmear of the sauce from the fire engine, perked it right up. My husband also had the Hamachi Temaki and declared ti excellent. Cold beer served in a glass straight from the freezer made Jim happy, and the Syrah I had was a lovely warm accompaniment to the meal. As there were no folks waiting to be seated, we lazed about, chit chatting and enjoying the waning light out the window. The service was OK. Our waitress forgot to put in our second round order and cam back 20 minutes later apologizing that the kitchen was really busy (after most of the tables in the house were empty.) And, based on the raves in the menu and from our server we ordered dessert (which we almost never do.) Don't. At least not the Bailey's Cheesecake. Even so - we thought that this was great value for the food and the experience and will visit again. Call ahead for hours of operation. They have split service and limited days.

2  Thank AmeliaAnne1024
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Who would have thought that an-out-of-the-way, small restaurant would have produced the most delicious sushi ever?
The "Tiger" and the "Rock and Roll" were perfect.
If you go to Brookings, find this place just off Wharf Street and Hemlock. It's a small, unimposing place with a delightful interior.
Don't miss it.

1  Thank JudsonRandall
Reviewed November 19, 2010

This cafe is run by Beth - a charming friendly "cutie". They have an online menu if you want to see the selection. We had the "rock and roll" maki, "spider with a twist", and a couple of other rolls. All were superb. We have dined on sushi weekly for the past twenty five years in many different cities, and Beth's creations are amongst the best. Also, had salmon skin cone rolls which were very tasty. The hours are a little different so be sure to check. When we were there, they were open for dinner Wed - Sat and for lunch Tues -? Anyway, definitely worth stopping there. Thanks Beth. Judy and Bob from Canada

1  Thank briejayne