“Nice quiet evening”

Ranked #13 of 66 Restaurants in Brookings
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Was very nice but expected something more. Had heard great things so maybe our expectations were to high. I had the grilled salmon on salad and it was over cooked and dry. The mrs had the grilled salmon dinner and it was cooked perfectly. Good bottle of wine. Great desert, flourless chocolate volcano cake. So maybe it was just an off night and will probably give them another chance.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We love steak houses and O'Holleran's is one of the best we have ever visited. And there have been many. Rib steak, superb. Prime rib, beyond superb. Sevice, perfect. Price, not that high, when you consider the quality of the experience. Not to be missed. In addition, around Christmas their decorations are way over the top and famous.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

After reading the reviews on the left side of this page I wonder if I was in the same restaurant! Our party of six was seated and greeted right away-we did have reservations. Our waitress, Angela, was very social and made a few jokes -she was very professional. Beverages and rolls were served timely. My salmon bisque was the best I've had. The lights (December 2) were amazing and the placed was packed for a Sunday night. Our food was served with in a reasonable time after our first course....My trio of fish was tasty served with rice pilaf and a medley of squash -half of which I took home -plenty of food. My husband's pecan encrusted pork chop was also very good. The six of us each had a drink and shared two bottles of wine and our bill (the 2 of us ) was $67 but left a nice tip; so ended up being $80.00. We will be back, but not until a special occasion. We were very pleased ; it made the drive from Gold Beach worth it.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I am in the Brookings/Crescent City area on a long term assignment and would miss Thanksgiving with my family so I decided to find a nice place to have dinner by myself. I located O'Holleran's web site and looked over the pretty pics of Christmas decorations and thought it looked perfect. I arrived and was ignored at the front desk for a while by the hostess while she performed some task behind her desk. When she finally acknowledged me she told me I could seat myself at the bar. No problem. I walked in to the bar and conversation literally stopped. It was surreal. People watched me take my seat then resumed their conversations. The bartender acknowledged me and gave me a wine list but never came back to take an order. She and the other bartenders, one of whom I believe was the owner, were world champions at ignoring someone who is politely trying to get their attention. 20 minutes or so later I had a glass of wine, 20 minutes after that I had a dinner menu, and 20 minutes after that I had an empty wine glass and a cold plate of food in front of me and that's how it stayed. Then things got a little weird. A group of people came in and took the stools next to mine. A woman with the group sat there and said "I hate crowding people". I moved over a bit. Then she got up and a man who was with her took her seat and rammed it right into mine so hard my drink spilled; he never acknowledged what he did or apologized for it. He and the bar staff were talking and laughing; I noticed that all of the local people were being served far more expeditiously than I was. All of the sudden a light bulb went off over my head; I was an outsider and being treated like one. Nobody gave a crap that the reason I was there was that I couldn't be with my own family, nor did they give a crap about ensuring that my experience was as pleasant as those of their "regulars". I shouldn't have let it humiliate me but it did. The moral of my story is that small towns very often produce small minds. The bottom line is that the service sucked and the food came out cold. The prices are reasonable, but good luck getting anyone's attention to make a complaint.

3  Thank Kim3955
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is Thanksgiving. The hostess, which I found out was the owner acted like we were bothering her by showing up. She was rude, and crass.
The food was just slopped on the plates. Actually, the only good thing was the mashed potatoes. The bread came after we had finished the salads.

It had been years since I had eaten there because the food just isn't good. Perhaps I'll try it again in another 6 years and see how they are doing.

3  Thank ieatoutlots