WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Brookings
Portland, Oregon
“Nice surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We booked this motel as part of a group and expected your typical low budget stay but agreed to stay here to be with the rest of the group. We were pleasantly surprised by the Spindrift and their managers, Michael and Myrtle. First, we did not expect such a nice ocean view and there are lovely places to watch the sunset. The rooms may have dated decor but they were clean and the beds were comfortable. The managers are really trying hard to make the guests happy. Each day, we were asked if we needed anything, if everything was as we expected, they gave us recommendations on where to eat and even visited with our group a couple times during our stay. We have found a new "go to" place when traveling Southern Oregon Coast! Thanks Michael and Myrtle....to use your phrase...we had that "very, Mary Tyler Moore" experience!

Room Tip: Rooms at the farthest end are quieter and have the better views of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank funnsunlady50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Oliver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I'm writing this review through Scruff's POV( 10 yrs. old rescued Chihuahua )
Since Gramred found me three yrs. ago , I had just escaped from one of those places that they have all these poor creatures living and dying in cages, where I had to fight for food, water or a mate , No place to be for a pedigree like me , Not even a rag to lay down on .My life has been so different now, I have become very selective as to where I sleep , where I stay and what people (humans ) I can trust and know that I will be safe and loved. Gramred and I have made several trips back and forth from SoCal to B.C. several times in the past four years because Popa is Canadian and Gramred is American , which is a different story altogether, anyway. this past trip will probably be our last, as Popa has Alzheimer's Disease and cannot be left alone , so we brought him with us , so Gramred & I could keep him grounded and he won't have to be put in a Nursing Home. He get's very confused by other people giving him orders. So we took the scenic route down the beautiful Oregon Coast instead of the I-5 Gramred, of course did all the driving and I just sat in the back but kept my eyes on the road and told her when we all needed a rest. We had driven as far as Brookings on a Saturday afternoon, no reservations, looking for a decent, place to lay our tired bodies and souls , when we spotted a nice big bright Blue and White sign , , Gramred pulled into the wrong driveway, so we went back out into tourists traffic and down and around a couple of blocks of scary traffic to get back to the right place . I took care of Popa and Gramred went to see if we could final find a place of peace and quite and a good bed to lay our exhausted bodies, and found the most wonderful angels , any person would want to meet in the form of the manager and his wife , Michael & Myrtle ! Kindness, gentleness, you know they were hard working caring people who God put on earth. They made sure that Gramred Popa and I had the best room, right next door to where they lived because "they wanted to look after us" , The bed is what really did it for me!! Big enough that I had plenty of room without my crowding out Gramred and Popa. I had a nice little nook for my dishes and water bowl , the little kitchenette had all the necessities , coffee maker, microwave oven, and a nice little refrigerator to hold our items at the right temperature. Immaculate bathroom! Clean smelling room. It did not have any bad vibes, and best of all was the generosity of spirit of M&M
We spent a peaceful night ,slept soundly ,( I only had to get up once to go to the potty , well I am getting old) Popa slept soundly, he did not have any problems with "sun downing" or night terror and Gramred only had to wake up once to take me to the potty . Well that our story. If you want the VERY BEST !! THE SPINDRIFT IN BROOKINGS IS A 5+ HOTEL FOR US THANK YOU M&M FOR WATCHING OVER ALL OF US !!

Room Tip: Make sure you tell Michael & Myrtle what you need in the way of extra pillows etc. And tell them...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Have been coming to brookings every year and this year we stayed at the spindrift motor inn.The hotel staff was extremely friendly and offered every convenience we needed. I had a dead battery when we woke to leave on our day trip and the hotel managers gave us a set of cables and we were able to get on our way in no time. Mike and Myrtle were just super. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. What more could we ask for?

Room Tip: Any room is good and there is an excellent restaurant across the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank wes c
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were really happy with our room at the Spindrift. We were tired from traveling and were able to drive right up to the door of our room. It was very clean and spacious with plenty of room for our 2-year old to tool around. We had a microwave and a good-sized fridge--which isn't usually standard and made for a fresh breakfast of leftover Zola's pizza! Managers Michael and Myrtle are so friendly and hospitable! We called the desk directly and got a better rate than online and were able to choose if we wanted upstairs or down. Will definitely stay here again...

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Denduquette
Medford, Oregon, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

After reading the reviews for this motel, I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. It seemed that the reviews were either really bad, or really good. I am not too picky of a person, as long as the room is clean and comfortable. I was assuming the bad reviews were mostly due to the motel being older, and again, as long as it would be clean and comfortable, I didn't mind.
The first thing I noticed was that the room smelled really bad. We tried to open the window to air out the room, but it is screwed shut. Instead, we left the door open, hoping the smell would dissipate. I couldn't quite place what the smell was until I noticed a cigarette burn in the armchair and cigarette stains on the edge of the bathtub. I realized it was likely from previously being a smoking room and that it had been permeated with the smell over time. I also noticed there was a scent of dog - I am allergic to them. We went to the local Fred Meyer, where I purchased Febreeze, but though I sprayed it multiple times, the smell comes back.
I woke up this morning with a horrible neck ache, headache, and sore throat. The bed was not very comfortable at all - the label on the box spring was very old-fashioned and aged and the mattress was matching. I could feel the springs in the mattress and it's a good thing I brought my own pillow...I'm considering asking for a room change, but I'm not sure the management will be understanding about it.
The manager, Michael, was nice, but I did feel like I was getting a "talking to" about all of the rules. He was a bit overly direct and it made me feel like he thought everyone whom came here was going to cause problems (I am not one who even appears a troublemaker - I dress nicely and take care of myself). I was surprised at how much he went on about how the bed wouldn't be made if, as he literally stated, "Even if a sock is left on the bed." Again, he was generally nice, but I felt a bit odd afterward.
I don't think I would stay here again; I just don't think I could handle the uncomfortable bed and room smell. I don't think I would tell people not to come here, but I would definitely let them know not to expect quality. In the future, I think I'd be willing to pay a bit more at a different motel, hotel, or inn.
An additional oddity: I paid cash for the room for two nights, which was about $154, but the receipt he gave me said $77 - why would that be?

Room Tip: We were in room 238 (I don't think the smell in this room will go away until it's completely...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Monkeybug42
Selma, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

The service is truely outstanding !. I had the pleasure of finding this little Gem. The customer relations are truely Outstanding.. The managment is top notch..I liked when they told me to check out my room and if ANYTHING was out of sorts to let them know right away.. The room was perfect, spotless... The managers take pride in this property !.. I would stay again..

Room Tip: Asjk for the room with Ocean view..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Denver City, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Modern rooms, tile entrance, comfortable beds, manager strives for your complete satisfaction for your stay. On the back side, we had an ocean view and was very quiet. They will bend over backwards to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The management also screens people as to place them where they will feel comfortable also.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookings
BEST WESTERN PLUS Beachfront Inn
Brookings Inn
#8 of 8 in Brookings
Lucky 7 Casino & Hotel – Howonquet Lodge
Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach

Been to Spindrift Motor Inn? Share your experiences!