“quiet and beautiful setting but it has some shortcomings”

River Lodge and Grill
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Boardman
“quiet and beautiful setting but it has some shortcomings”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

A little remote but a beautiful location on the Columbia River. It is very quiet both on site and in the rooms. The rooms seem large and have nice flat screen tvs.

The shortcomings? The internet service was hit and miss and extremely slow. Dial up slow when it was working. Using my phone was not much better and service is sometimes not available (ATT) The restaurant have nice view and is a pleasant atmosphere. The service is mediocre at best. The menu is somewhat limited but here are enough choice to satisfy most people.

I might stay here again if I was not needing to be connected to the outside world.

Room Tip: There are some nice and quiet walking paths that go along the river. Great feature if you like to g...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KeizerDuck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lincoln, California
Reviewed October 17, 2012

On our way home from Spokane WA we read about this lodgei n our travel book and decided to give it a try. We were presently surprised. A lovely setting with beautiful sunsets over the river. Clean, comfortable rooms. Pleasant staff. Good rate. We recommend this lodge for the weary traveler. The Grill on the otherhand had a fantastic view, however the food was so-so.

Room Tip: The river side is very nice - but not by the pool or spa! Was a little noisy!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrizia12
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Have stayed at this property three times in as many years and always in the fall - Sept/Oct. A nice clean and quiet location with good food and excellent location on the river and with jogging/walking trails leading from the hotel to the marina and camping area west along the river. A soothing respite with nice views.

As I have not interacted with management cannot confirm or deny other comments but front desk staff is friendly and the kitchen staff was very accomodating in allowing me to order and take the food to my room.

Would highly recommend staying here if you can as the hotels in nearby Hermiston are not comparable.

Jackie
Arlington Virginia

Room Tip: Definitely get a second floor room as the first floor rooms are not private enough to leave your cur...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Stockton, California
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This place is very beautiful, however the manager is very terrible. My best friend had her wedding reception at The Lodge. I arrived 30 minutes late, and I noticed that they began to put all the food away. Thankfully, this nice waitress (her name was tif) was able to still serve us. A few minutes later, I noticed the manager (Bob Okeson), yelling at one of the guests in front of everyone at the reception. Personally, that was very unprofessional. We understand the rules in oregon are not to bring outside alcoholic beverages. What we also understand is that yelling at a guest is not a way to solve the issue. Overall, the hotel and the view is amazing. Unfortunantly, I can not say the same about the manager.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ida jane p
Spokane Valley, Washington
Reviewed August 23, 2012

A hidden gem. Beautiful facility. Very charming with modern day NW log house decor & feel. Price is great. Water views from room are worth the extra $$$. Stunning! Very clean + king room huge with 2 tables & chairs, coffee table, couch & flat screen. Wet bar with mini fridge & microwave. Full length mirror. Huge closet for longer stays. Updated top of the line sink fixtures. Beds extra comfy. Linens nice. All my bed pillows unfortunately lumpy :-(. Pool wonderful. I would not say it is heated but it was a hot day & very refreshing. Impressed with hotel security - card key needed for every entrance. Grounds are very pretty & well kept. Great room darkening curtains. Arrived 2 hours prior to 3:00 PM ck in. I was told very bluntly by desk clerk 3:00 PM was ck in & under no circumstances would a room be available until then. No offer to take my cell # & call if one should be open sooner. No offer to call house cleaning to see what stage they were. Asked to talk with manager - he took #. Cant say he was much more polite. Anyway fairly quickly I was called back & told a room would be available in 1/2 hour. "Issue" was corrected to my satisfaction but if clerk would have been more helpful & a little less rude hotel would have received a 5 rating. I did not eat in restaurant but did notice menue prices seemed high. No full service bar - only beer & wine which seemed strange for a hotel restaurant of this category. I did not see nor was told about a free continental breakfast so assuming there wasnt one offered. However definitely be back again if in area. A very relaxing atmosphere after a long drive. NOT your typical one night stay chain.

Room Tip: Defintely water. Mine looked over pool also - quiet during my stay. .
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Coos Bay, Oregon, United States
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stumbled onto this hidden beauty. Sitting on the Columbia River behind a little town in western Oregon. A great getaway and a real charmer. Careful - you'll never guess that such a great placecould be here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I had my wedding reception at The Lodge and it was a complete nightmare. The general manager was completely unprofessional and rude to all my guest. My reception was completely screwed up by the first person I had been in contact with for over a year of planning it. A month before the wedding I emailed to confirm the details and was informed that there was nothing on the books for my reception at all and everything the person told me was inaccurate so I had to redo everything. When I got to the Lodge, 3 days before to meet with Bob, he told me they would not have a bill ready until after my reception because of the pouring fees for the alcohol I brought on. This was understandable but then the day of the reception not an hour in, he demanded payment. How can you charge for services you have not completed yet. The food was disgusting and was carted away an hour into service, where employees of the Lodge packed my food to take home for themselves. After my sister requested the food be packed up for us they refused stating they did not have boxes. They finally packed the food on paper plates wrapped in foil and dumped everything into a box. Bob continued to berate my guest because one brought in a cup of alcohol. I understand the laws of Oregon and a simple warning would have suffice. When my husband and I tried to check into the room they comped us for te wedding night he was told there was no rooms in our name as nothing was available. After threatening to pull the reception, my husband was put on hold and the lady returned and now said a room was available. I find it completely pathetic when the employees of the Lodge had to apologize for the behavior of their manager. I will never do business there ever again and they ruined the one special day I can never get back.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank ThaiWalty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boardman
Oxford Suites Hermiston
#2 of 3 in Umatilla
Oak Tree Inn - Hermiston
Oak Tree Inn - Hermiston
#3 of 7 in Hermiston

Been to River Lodge and Grill? Share your experiences!