“Single overnight stay - business”

Riverhouse on the Deschutes
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was incredibly impressed with the facilities for The Riverhouse. The room was superb. When they say "on the river", they mean it! We were about 30' from the Deschutes River! The sound of it was wonder sleep therapy on the most comfortable king I've ever encountered in a hotel. The staff were exceptionally friendly and accomodating. They answered all questions expertly and even allowed me to check-out an hour after norm to allow me to change after an important interview. The drink coupons encouraged my wife and I to go over to the restaurant lounge, which had beautiful pool tables and a top-quality shuffle-board. Excellent micro-brews on tap and again, the staff were superb. Try the 5-beer taster! Even the hot breakfast buffet in the morning was excellent! Can you say "lots of bacon"?! Fruit, cereal, yogurt, scrambled eggs w/ salsa & cheese, potatoes...and lots of bacon! Great French Roast coffee too. All in all, The Riverhouse provided one of the best hotel experiences. I would recommend The Riverhouse to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for a fantastic review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Riverhouse!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed 5 nights at the RIverhouse in early March as part of a Mt. Bachelor sponsored familiarization trip for the Ski Club of Washington, DC. As such, I was particularly interested in the hotel's capacity for handling larger groups, such as the typical ski club wintertime trip. I toured all of the rooms and the Convention Center, ate some meals in the Crossings restaurant and bar, and used their shuttle service to visit the downtown district, Old Mill shopping area, and the DesChutes Brewery..

The Riverhouse is a very large motor hotel with 220 rooms in 4 separate buildings spanning both sides of the scenic DesChutes river. All of the guest rooms are in 2-3 story low-rise buidings, with motel-style central corridors. I stayed in a standard King room facing the river. The room was quite spacious, considerably larger than comparable rooms in another luxury resort I recently stayed at in Big Sky, MT. The bed was firm and very comfortable, with high-quality linens and multiple pillows. There was a comfortable overstuffed sofa and low table, in space that would be taken up by the second bed in a Queen room. The room was very well equipped, with a small fridge, microwave, DVD player, coffee maker, iron and ironing board, and hair dryer (not present in my room, but probably available on request). The TV was a 40" flat screed HD unit, with full cable service. Nicest amenity was the free and very high speed internet service --- maybe the fastest I have ever experienced in a hotel environment.

The only downside to my room was the step between the bathroom area and the lower bedroom area, which almost caused me to have a nasty fall during a late-night trip to the toilet. The view out the picture window of the DesChutes river roaring by was very nice.

Other amenities in the main lobby building included a business center with computer and printer, DVD video rentals, guest laundry services, room service, and free shuttle service around town and to the ski area. There is also both an outdoor and indoor pool and hot tub, an exercise room, and an indoor "swim" exercise pool, with motorized jets. The outdoor hot tub is conveniently located a few short steps from the lower level of the main lobby building, where there are changing/shower facilities. No cold walks from the hot tub back to your room!

A complimentary full,buffet breakfast is provided in the Crossings restaurant. This includes a choice of juices, hot coffee & tea, various cereals, yogurt, muffins, fresh fruit (typically two types of melon, orange and grapefruit slices) scrambled eggs, potatoes, breakfast meats, and "cakes". These last items change daily, so one day they might serve hashed browns, bacon, and french toast, and the next day spuds, sausage and waffles. Mostly, the breakfast food was tasty and well prepared. The scrambled eggs tended to be overcooked and not very hot, as is often the case with steam table service. If the eggs were cooked in smaller batches, the result might be improved, at the cost of more intensive preparation time & effort. The coffee, unfortunately, was pretty bad --- strong and bitter. Fortunately, the free coffee in the main lobby was immensely better, and you could also pick up a daily newspaper or USA Today.

Service during breakfast was quite good. Tables were bussed immediately, clearing the way for new quests. I overheard one guest complaining that there was no crisp bacon left in the buffet line, and within minutes the manager brought out a special order of bacon, prepared exactly to taste.

The Riverhouse also provides a complimentary welcome drink in the Crossings bar, which is quite roomy, with pool tables and slot machines (!!!) available.

The shuttle service was extraordinarily good. Drivers were basically available to deliver and pick up guests almost anywhere in town, even so far as the High Desert Museum 5 miles out of town. The drivers were both courteous, personable, and timely --- I never had to wait more than a few minutes. Without asking, they would always return me to my room, rather than dumping me off at the main lobby.

Can't recommend the Riverhouse highly enough. This is not a 5-star resort, but is a great value. Management and staff are on top of their game, and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Try for a room facing Mt Bachelor, on the maim lobby side of the river. If you get a room with a st...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Hitman99
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for an outstanding review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. Your attention to detail will surely help our future guests get a sense of who we are! We look forward to your return, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Nice room with a view of the river. Centrally located in Bend without the feel of being crowded in by the city. The hot tub was great, as well as the bed. The complimentary breakfast buffet was exceptional.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for a terrific review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We hope that you'll come back soon for another visit to The Riverhouse Hotel & Convention Center!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Came down to Bend just for a quick weekend getaway, will definitely be back soon. The staff was friendly and helpful, we would come back just for the quality of service we received. The room was wonderful: clean, comfortable bed, with plenty of pillows! I definitely recommend upgrading to the fireplace suite, it was so cozy as it snowed outside. The complimentary breakfast buffet is one of the best we've had, above and beyond what you would normally recieve. Looking very forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade for the view and the fireplace for a relaxing weekend getaway!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for an excellent review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Riverhouse!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The plan was to attend a convention here, but on the 2nd day I had an accident that landed me in the ER. I had already asked to have my room changed (the headboard shared a wall with a noisy pepsi machine in the hallway), and they offered to pack my things and get me moved when I got back from the hospital. A lovely fruit and snack basket was delivered when I got back from the hospital. I had been scheduled to stay for 3 nights, but since I found a ride home a day early, they not only waived the 3rd night charge, but allowed me to rest comfortably in my room several hours past checkout time until my ride arrived.
Kudos to all the front desk personnel and the manager (as well as the custodial staff who promptly fixed a plumbing problem) for making a bad time more bearable.

The room was clean and nicely furnished, the bed was comfortable and the hotel restaurant provided a memorable steak dinner. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are choosing a non-view room overlooking the parking lot, the ground floor is easy to get you...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for a terrific review! We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered, even if they were not our fault. We hope that you are healing quickly! Please join us again upon your next visit to Bend. We would love to see you, and hope that you'll be able to enjoy more of the resort and surrounding area next time.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

boyfriend and I had a family gathering to attend so we stayed one night. Room looked fine, clean and the bed was good, small because we are used to king size bed at home. Got a complimentary coupon for a drink during happy hour in the their lounge, couldn't use because we had someplace to be. This is where I prefer to stay when I go to Bend -

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for a fantastic review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate your time in providing us your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I had a horrible experience at a different local resort where I had fallen on January 8. Have so many appointments and a number of doctors in Big Bend, now UGH! I live too far from Bend to drive in easily now. Thank goodness I found the Riverhouse Resort for a home away from home!!! While the surroundings (absolutely stunning, my RIVER runs through it, 3 whirlpools - two indoor, two pools - on indoor and one outdoor, fine dining, great pub. pool, hiking yadda yadda, I can't say enough and rarely am I at a loss for words!!! My new family members are here helping to restore my health and sanity (I didn't tell them I've ALWAYS BEEN CRAZY but i think they know that by now), THE STAFF AND MANAGEMENT HAVE RENEWED MY HOPE FOR HUMANITY, I am not exaggerating one whit!! These people CARE! They care about guests, in no small measure, BUT they also care about each other and operate like a tribe of like-minded, kind, efficient,rare and wonderful human beings! The staff at Riverhouse Resort Hotel and Convention Center represent what is makes a GREAT workplace. Something so rare and fine that when I saw and felt their kind regard, united as one species of humanitarian beings, I cried for happy, I REALLY DID!! I'm crying again now while writing this to encourage you (only if you are nice though, stay away if you are mean, stingy or whatever), a missive in gratitude for dozens and dozens of people who have just met me, our lives have touched and you have done so much to make me feel welcome, and whole, and at home, I needed that more than I care to admit, I'm supposed to act like a grown-up but still haven't figured out what the heck that means and I'm 58 years old so I'll probably never ever know and don't think I want to, I'm not a masochist.. AS GOD IS MY WITNESS, I AM The Riverhouse Resort Hotel and Conference Center's BEST FAN FOREVER AND I HAVE A BIG MOUTH, SO PREPARE TO BE EVEN MORE BUSY. This is off-season in Bend! Hard to believe that so much great powder on the slopes makes not for HIGH SEASON but low here! However, while most hotels and motels are virtually empty until Spring, Bend's official HIGH season, THE RIVERHOUSE is most often full OFF-SEASON, even mid-week!!! The truth is in the bookings not the pudding, although the food is really great here too!! Come see for yourself. Ask for me, Bunny, if I'm still here, I'll introduce you around!
One very very very satisfied guest/mama.
Bunny

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for such an ecstatic review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at the Riverhouse. We appreciate hearing how comfortable we have made you during this difficult time. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return.