“Close to town” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 43 Hotels in Bend
A TripAdvisor Member
“Close to town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

My wife and I stayed one night here by accident when our camping plans fell through. I was pleasantly surprised considering it was only around $60 for two. It turned out to be quite close to downtown Bend (the "trendy" part of town starts only two blocks away) so we never needed our car, and there's a beautiful park right next to the motel too. Any hotels closer to town cost a lot more, and anything further away to the North are just too far to walk, so it turned out to be in the perfect place. The pool, hot tub and spa were open late enough that I could enjoy it myself without being swarmed by kids.

The key positive is its price for the location and amenities. The only negative was a funky smell in the room (not moldy, just musty). After this night we moved to the McMenamins (Old St. Francis School) on the south side of downtown instead, and I would recommend that to EVERYONE who has no trouble paying an extra $40 per night - it's well worth it, read those reviews to see why. But if you're on a budget or have kids you want to keep away from the bars, this is a fine alternative.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Glenside, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2005

I checked into the Bend Riverside Motel/ Suites on a whim when I had enough during a recent visit to my son's house (where I was staying, sleeping on a mattress on the floor and dog hair everywhere).This was my 4th visit to Bend and my husband and I have stayed in a few different places, but this was the 1st time at The Riverside.

At first, the location didn't seem so great because it is located on Bus. 97, a fairly busy street. I am pretty picky about my privacy and need quiet, so it was with trepidation that I went to the office to see if I could check out some rooms before checking in.

While the Goth looking girl at the front desk wasn't as perky friendly as so many in Bend are (sort of a relief, actually), she was kind enough to tell me all my options for a riverfront room and gave me keys to look at all of them. If I was staying at a "riverside" motel, I want river.....

I looked at the first (least expensive suite @ $75) located on the 3rd floor of the original motel. While it did have a great view of the river way down below (but you had to go out on the balcony to get the best of it) and a firplace, it also seemed dated and a bit rundown and had a funky smell. The next room was a king suite, hard by the river in a newer, seperate "cottage" which is actually a row of rooms all on one level. This room, the most expensive at $95 was very nice. Newer furniture, very clean with a terrific view. The 3rd option had a queen bed, the best view, was very clean with newer rugs, no odor and best of all, completely quiet except for the fabulous sound of the small waterfall and water running over rocks right outside the huge picture window (no balcony). Sold........

I presume it wouldn't be quite as private or quiet in season with a full house,however, the room I chose had everything I was looking for. I was perfectly happy, comfortable and mesmerized by the river flowing by.

There weren't any amenites to speak of save for a single bar of soap, so if you're looking for the Ritz, this isn't it. But the mini kitchen was nicely stocked with cooking and eating utensils, the shower was great and the view can't be beat. It's also, while not in Downtown, close enough to walk to, which I did. The location is close enough to pretty much everywhere, even the lovely Pioneer park right next to it.

When I checked out, I asked if they would honor the internet rate (which I looked into only after checking in) which was $10 less than I was quoted. At first, the clerk said no, you had to reserve online to get that rate, but then changed her mind a few minutes later and gave me the lower rate, which was a very nice thing to do.

So the cottage rooms were it for me. I don't think I would like the older motel, but I'm sure it would be okay if you didn't want to spend so much on a room. All in all, a decidedly pleasant jewel on the Deschutes.

• Stayed November 2005
19 Thank visualgirl
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2005

Our family travelled to Bend mid-August 2005 and only had three requirements for our lodging:
1. Clean
2. Pool
3. Pets ok
This hotel was great. I was a bit dissappointed at first with the indoor/outdoor pool. One thing that is a MUST for us is a pool for the kids on vacation - and I enjoy reading in the sun while they play...but, I actually enjoyed the simplicity of just getting up and getting them to their swim, and one just before bed - without having to worry about sunscreen! I could sit on the beautiful lawn and watch them if I wanted, and if I got cold I would just sit inside the 'greenhouse' type enclosure (it had panels on sides and roof that openned up). I even went for a swim a couple of times. Nothing special about the pool, 9ft at one end, hot tub off to the side, sauna and showers right there, so no need to mess up our hotel room with showering the kids.

The grounds were very nice, and we had a room on the ground floor so the dog was outside on a leash whenever we were at the hotel.

Our room was clean, and had no bad smell or anything. It was a bit dated, I am very picky about the clean thing, and the couch, counters etc all felt clean.

We loved our time in Bend, and took the kids white water rafting, bowling, shopping in the very nice downtown area.

• Stayed August 2005