“Very good sushi - first time diner.”
Review of Kanpai

Kanpai
Ranked #135 of 469 Restaurants in Bend
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We walked in and were seated right away. The place is small so for a Saturday night we got lucky. Three non-Japanese guys making sushi, but do not worry. It was awesome rolls and nigiri. Waitress did a good job keeping everything in check. This will be my first choice next time.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This little place is amazing. They def know what they are doing. Just tell the sushi chef what you like (don't like) and he will hook you up. Each sashimi came with a different sauce which we were skeptical about trying but they all were amazing and went so well with the fish. Soft shell crabs were incredible and very reasonable.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Having lived in the Bay Area for 18 years, we were surprised by the quality of food at this restaurant. Both the nigiri and the rolls were excellent and we enjoyed the warm neighborhood atmosphere. We will definitely be back for more.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This restaurant has a great selection of sushi and a nice atmosphere. The sushi is good (it's not quite as good as the high price might suggest IMO. You might be paying more for the location and the atmosphere).

My one complaint was the sashimi dish I ordered (7 pieces of salmon for $16). The salmon was quite good, however it was undoubtedly the smallest serving of sashimi I have ever seen, and I have ordered this dish at many upscale sushi restaurants in Oregon and California. Considering the price, I was very disappointed.

Other than the dismally small serving of sashimi (think 7 small bites), everything else was good, and the wait staff was very friendly and professional. I would recommend this place if you have money to blow and want a nice ambiance in one of the best parts of town.

1  Thank Christopher S
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The sushi was very good (I especially enjoyed the eel, which was grilled a little longer than most places). The steak dish and tempura were also very good. There's an excellent and long sake list, and lots of items on the food menu to choose from. The wait staff was good: attentive and friendly, but not overbearing.