“Had to quit”

Double Happiness
Ranked #262 of 463 Restaurants in Bend
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Ate there many times, but then it seemed the cooks fell in love with the salt shaker. Now I love salt and some of my friends stated I liked a little food with my salt, but the last meal I had there was almost uneatable.

2  Thank FishyBendOregon
There are newer reviews for Double Happiness

Reviewed June 21, 2012

After reviewing the mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, I decided to check out Double Happiness myself.
The restaurant is located in a small strip mall near Togo’s on Hwy 20 just past Pilot Butte. The address on Trip Advisor has it as 60331 Tall Pine Avenue, whilst the take out menu has it as 2115 NE Hwy 20, in Bend. Same place. In a nutshell, the experience was pretty darn good. Every dish (House Special Peaking Pork, Beef Chow Fun, Pork fried Rice and house Special Double happiness which was a mix of shrimp and chicken sautéed with vegetables on a hot platter) was fresh and not overly greasy. The portions were generous even by Chinese cuisine standards. The staff was friendly and engaging. The dinning area was clean as was the bathrooms. The only area I was not able to inspect was the kitchen. Out of five Chinese restaurants frequented so far, my wife and I have to agree this is the best. I must say my favorite dish was the Peking Pork. I could not stop eating it! Though marked spicy, it really wasn’t; just mildly so. The Chow Fun was closest to the Cantonese style I long for, but not the fried rice which was just okay. The four dishes, tea and one beer came to just under $42.00. Will we be back? You can bet your bottom Yuan we will.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Service staff is nice and the food is good ol' american-chinese. Would consider this my go-to-place in Bend for a good price. Plan to take a nap after the meal, it always leaves me sluggish.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

On the quest to find authentic Chinese food in Bend and so far Double Happiness has ranked top out of the 7 places we have tried.

Having lived in SF I'm used to getting cheap and genuine hole in the wall Chinese food. Options are a bit more limited in CO but Double Happiness was good. My wife and 3yo also concur. None of us had upset stomachs or that strange dehydration headache and offness you some times get with mega MSG places (no MSG here).

The food was less americanized/sweet and tasted more like the food I've had in Chinatowns all over the US. We had cashew chicken (with a lot of cashews!) and dried fried green beans. Both were tasty and the portions were huge (enough for the wife and I to have a big lunch the next day).

I'm looking forward to going back for some of the noodle dishes and maybe a beef dish. I'm even tempted to try the dim sum on Sundays though from what I was told is not made fresh (likely frozen then steamed/fried here). Still...where else in Bend can you get dim sum?

Prices were ok. They were not the cheapest for Chinese food in Bend but for the taste I'd pay the premium and as mentioned you should have plenty of leftovers. The real test will be when I bring my Chinese parents there next week when they visit!

Just a minor update: Went back and tried fried noodle (chow mein) and fried rice dishes. They were ok. For the money I would stick to entrees and steamed rice.

2  Thank chetliew