“After new menu and remodel, not much has changed”
Review of Scanlon's - CLOSED

Scanlon's
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Bend, OR
“After new menu and remodel, not much has changed”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I've been going to Scanlons for the past 6 years that I've lived in Bend. Everything on the menu sounds good, but it constantly disappoints. They went through a big remodel earlier this year and introduced a whole new menu. My husband and I went there for the first time, in a long time, last month. I had the Cioppino and he had the scallops. The Ciopino was undercooked and didn't have any broth what-so-ever. It tasted like a bunch of seafood dumped into Prego spaghetti sauce. The scallps were displayed like an entree size portion, but they weren't the big ones that you would expect. They were less than medium sized and were underwhelming. We had salads as starters which were really good. Scanlons always makes great Caesars. I think next time I will have a burger and salad.

• Visited October 2011

Bend, Oregon
“Great Ambiance with Average to Very Good Food”
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I mentioned to someone that we were going to dinner at the Bend Athletic Club. "Oh, you mean a sports bar, right?" was the response. Hardly the case. Scanlons is located in the Bend Athletic Club and is open to the public. The restaurant itself brings words like classy and elegant to mind. It has lots of dark wood, subdued lighting, and a beautiful decor.

The service was very good .... timely and attentive but not overbearing. Each server wore a professional looking black top and blue jeans. Being Bend, blue jeans seemed to be entirely appropriate.

So what about food? The short answer is average to very good. Read further if you want some basis for that rating. Scanlon’s "Famous Caesar Salad" was made with sun dried tomato, pine nuts, some shreds of asiago cheese. This "famous" salad was average at best; the flavors just did not come together. Their house salad of young greens House contained gorgonzola, hazelnuts, and dried cherries. It was good. Their Sourdough Flat Bread appetizer was accompanied by roasted garlic, romesco, and goat cheese. Unfortunately I did not pay attention when my daughter ordered this .... unfortunately because she is allergic to nuts. The romesco looked suspicious so I asked our server if it contained nuts and she readily confirmed that it did, and she readily replaced it with another serving of goat cheese and garlic .... minus the romesco. Just as well, I thought the romesco had little character or taste. Otherwise this appetizer was good. My daughter also ordered the "Chef's selection of Cheeses". They were excellent, especially the brie; the chef chose winners! My daughter also ordered butternut squash pizza, which included sweet roasted onion, goat cheese, and sage. While she normally rates something imaginative like this as outstanding, she gave this particular pizza just a "good". For entrees, I had Idaho trout accompanied by green beans and pasta (something) with fresh tarragon. The trout was very good (although my daughter was grossed out by it being served with its head on), the pasta was different and good, while the green beans with a buttery lemon taste were really outstanding. My wife had Factory Free Roasted Chicken with truffle potato puree. I think she ordered this to see if free range chicken is better than ordinary chicken. We both thought it was good, but probably not worth $25. The truffle potato puree was very good.

I might recommend Scanlon's to a friend and I might go back again. From my perspective, the only superlatives go to 6 green beans and the chef's choice brie. It is a really nice restaurant, but the food isn't what I had hoped, especially since it is reasonably pricey.

• Visited January 2011
Albany, OR
“Always Dependable”
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We ate here, again. Don't know why it doesn't score higher as we have never been disappointed at this restaurant. The locals eat here...does that tell you anything? It is always consistent in food and service. Maybe not the place for a romantic dinner but otherwise you will not be disappointed and you won't have to rob a bank to eat here.

1 Thank Beaverfan62