“Needs a good cleaning”

Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Bend
pittsburgh
“Needs a good cleaning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

This motel might look nice on the outside, but the rooms need some attention. They need new carpet and also some fresh paint and a good spring cleaning. The beds were comfortable and appeared clean, but smelled of Ben-gay or another type muscle ointment that must of been on the mattress pad. Staff was always preoccupied and upon checkout when I was going to inform them of the smell, they were on the phone and so I just got my receipt and left. The wi-fi was slower than my 3G; so forget using your smartphone or computer there. Much better choices in Bend, try another place,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in July. The rate was fair at about $80/night, The location is rather noisy as it is right off a busy highway and and behind a large gas station. The customer service was the largest issue. I checked in about 3pm, and found 5 or 6 people ahead of me, all waiting for the three desk clerks. Two of the three were busy chatting with each other about everything under the sun, except work. The third clerk was valiantly dealing with a very intoxicated guest who was trying to get directions to a bar where he had left his car. After 45 minutes, I finally got to the check in counter and had to deal with one of the clerks who was more interested in continuing his conversation with his coworker. The set up was odd, as the clerks are all sitting down, and that helped reinforce the non-personal attitude. Maybe I'm behind the times though. Upon entering my non-smoking room, the smoke and disinfectant smells were overwhelming. Back to the front desk, where there were now about 10 people trying to check in. One of the clerks went back to the room with me, and insisted it was fine; I told him it was unacceptable, so he called down to the front desk and the manager came to the room. He agreed with me it smelled bad, but the first clerk insisted on arguing with him also. The clerk finally noticed a cigarette butt under the A/C unit, so reluctantly agreed to give me a different room that smelled of disinfectant, but at least not smoke. The room was comfortable and had a small frig and coffee maker. It was worn, but clean. The bathroom was OK, but had some mildew around the tub and I had to call the front desk to come empty the wastebasket there. The noise level was high, with the nearby highway and gas station, along with hordes of Little Leaguers in town for a tournament. The outside balcony walkways echoed with their running, but that really wasn't the hotel's fault. The rate included breakfast, which was adequate -- muffins, bisucit and gravy, waffles, no fruit. More seating was really needed. The A/C was noisy, but managed to keep the room cool despite the record temps. I had planned to stay for two weeks or more while checking out the area for a possible relocation, but opted to move to a quieter hotel with staff that seemed interested in their guests (albeit at a higher cost).

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back that doesn't face the highway and gas station
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank M Q

Travelers are raving about these Bend hotels

Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We chose this motel based on its website, location, & price. When we checked in at 3:25pm, the desk clerk reminded us that check in was at 4:00pm & the room may not be ready yet. Upon entering the sparcely furnished room with 1 bed, I noted something under the desk & also under the sink counter. It was dog feces !! When I presented the "poos" to the front desk clerk, she said the manager would only allow a $10 discount for our trouble. I insisted on another, clean room, which we got after another lengthy wait at the front desk. It was missing some hand towels, but at least there were no feces in this unit.

Room Tip: Ask to inspect the room before you enter it to avoid an uncomfortable situation.
Pacific Northwest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel along with a group. We had rented five rooms. When I made the reservations we were quoted $79/room and received confirmations noting the $79 rate. When we checked out I noticed they increased the rate to $89. When I inquired with Eli, the manager, he said it didn't matter what I was quoted or what my confirmation showed because when I signed in the evening of our arrival, the rate on the folio was $89. Unbelievable. I'm a hotelier and you simply don't quote a rate, send a confirmation with the quoted rate, and then raise the rate at check-in and dismissing the previously agreed rate. Eli was no help and has a lot to learn about customer service and ethics.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank titleistone
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I visit Bend every other year and this is my favorite hotel to stay at in town!

Great price and value... can't be beat!

Rooms are very clean, modern, and roomy. Breakfast is well stocked with and maintained and what any travelers would expect (cereal, milk, biscuits, chipped beef, donuts, fruit, yogurt, make your own waffles, bagels, etc.).

Service team is very nice and helpful.

Can't beat it for service, price, and value!

Room Tip: This place is well known as a great value, so it tends to book up faster than other hotels in the ar...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OutdoorValleyForge
Oregon, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

It has really become a challenge to find a reasonably priced hotel in Bend but the Sugarloaf is it. We go to a soccer tournament in August every year. We stayed her with our two sons. Our room was clean. The staff was helpful. It had the usual motel breakfast, convenient and just fine. The price for our room was at least $40 less than other similar hotels.

Room Tip: This hotel fills up so you need to book well in advance. We had rooms on the backside of the motel...
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

The rooms were very good for the price you pay. There is a typical motel hot breakfast. I only rated it down because they didn't have enough towels in the room for the number of travelers (the number on the reservation). Went to the front desk and she didn't want to be bothered to go to the laundry room so she gave me a pool towel. Also, breakfast ends at 10:00. Folks were having a little difficulty with the waffle iron so there was a line up of about three little boys. Right at ten a less than pleasant employee swooped in and said breakfast was over and closed up shop. Thought she couldn't handled that better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family