“Better than initial impression” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dunes Motel

Dunes Motel
Ranked #39 of 43 Hotels in Bend
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Better than initial impression”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

This was a very reasonably priced motel. There have obviously been efforts to update the decor fairly recently. The king bed was very comfy. My only gripe was that the bath/shower diverter didn't work properly so I was showering while my feet were in a couple of inches of water.

The continental breakfast, while not exciting, was perfectly adequate and included oatmeal, yoghurt, cereals and fresh fruit.

All-in-all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Grecofan2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tacoma, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, and maybe I'm feeling a little more free with my money now that the economy's turning around, but I think I'm going to stop staying at 2-star motels.

The Dunes Motel is located next to the traffic light at Olney and US-97, and although the traffic noise may bother some folks, I didn't have a problem with it. I sleep pretty heavily.

The continental breakfast is cereal, fruit, and a dry pastry. That's fine; I was saving my appetite for a big lunch planned in Hood River.

The room decor reminded me of my late grandparents' rec room. It had a definite 70s feel to it. At one point, I woke up in the middle of the night when I rolled over and my wristwatch snagged on the throw pillow's applique. My bad -- I shouldn't have left it on the bed.

There were small coffee splatters on the wall near the coffee pot, the pink bathtub was chipped, and there were scuffs and scrapes throughout the room. It's a 2-star motel, though, so it's not unexpected.

The toilet seat was very loose and wobbly, and the toilet tank would continuously drain until you wiggled the handle just right. Not a big deal; I can wiggle the handle like a boss.

The soap was very rough, as if chunks of baking soda had been baked into it. No big deal, I used it, but didn't take any extra for home.

The wireless internet connection was sporadic, but good enough for surfing the web. Streaming video was jerky, but I didn't do much of that anyway. Facebook browsing worked OK.

The drunk guy pounding on the door at 3 AM, startled me awake, but he went away when my masculine voice made it clear that I wasn't the woman he was looking for.

I awoke again 20 minutes later when he and his buddy were standing outside the room next door, loudly professing his drunk love for the woman inside. I can't fault the hotel for it, and he went away for good when the guy in next door yelled at them to leave. The drunks apologized as they thundered down the stairs, shouting "sorry, wrong room" in a very frightened voice at least 10 times. I can accept their apology.

At $49 each for Friday and Saturday nights, I really can't complain. The front desk was friendly and probably my fastest check-in ever (Got ID? Here's your key.) The bed was comfortable. The carpet, bed, and counters were clean. The room temperature was fine. But all these other things, taken together? Yeah, maybe I should have splurged on a 3-star place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank RulesLawyer

Travelers are raving about these Bend hotels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I would like to add my satisfaction about the Dunes Motel in Bend Oregon. For the money this was one of the best deals of a 9 nights of different rentals during our recent Oregon trip. This motel although rated two stars was very clean and had wonderful decor for a lower priced 2 star rental. The king size best was new and very comfortable. The management was very accommodating and friendly. For a 2 star motel I give it 5 stars based on value for the money. I would gladly stay there again and highly recommend it to others who don't need a 5 star hotel and just want a comfortable place to spend the night in a good location.

Room Tip: Use priceline. I got this room for $51.00 and it was clean, nicely decorated, and the bed was very c...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Redding, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were looking for a last minute, cheap but NICE hotel labor day weekend. My wife and I were a little weary when we booked the room for $69, expecting the worst but needing a place to sleep. We were so surprised to find that the hotel was real nice. The room was very clean and smelled real good. The bed were nice and comfortable. It had a fridge and microwave which was nice. Our AC was acting up in the room and right away the front desk associate came and fixed it. All in all, we were overly satisfied with our stay, especially with what we got for what we paid. Will most likely stay again on our way too and from WA.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The room was very comfy but we were located on the back side ground floor and we did have a lot of road noise... room was nicely decorated and bed was comfortable. Price was excellent and they did offer free wi-fi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is an older place and right on 3rd street so if you get an end unit it can be noisy. But the room was very clean, the bed had bright sheets and comforter on it and it was super comfy. Made me want to just stay there with a good book and enjoy the soft sheets and good mattress. The air conditioner wasn't the greatest. Took quite a while to get the room cooled down. But for a king size room it was only $88 a night. The housekeeper does a great job and she was so sweet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Yakima, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

On our way to California we stopped at 2:30 am to see what they charged. The man at the front desk gave us a great rate of $69 for a 3 double bed room that was normally $107. It had a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, mini lotions and mini shampoos. We had two teenage girlswith us and for a few hrs of sleep the room was good.

• Stayed July 2013