“Very interesting/fun hotel!”

McMenamins Old St. Francis School
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Reviewed October 26, 2010

My fiance were road-tripping through Oregon and stayed at McMenamins in Bend for 1 night. This hotel was so cool! It used to be an old school house and each of the classrooms are now hotel rooms! Our room was very comfortable but we didn't spend much time there. Bend is a super hip town so we were out exploring. McMenamins is a great place to stay because you are right in the heart of downtown.
The night we stayed was a Monday night and they had Monday Night Football on in the theater - it was really fun!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dsmtravelgal

Reviewed September 13, 2010

We did not stay in the hotel but being a Native Oregonian I must say this place still is one of my favorites! The seared Ahi is to die for and you have to have the "Rubberhead" beer. It is not on the menu but if you ask the servers they will know. It is a refreshing mix of the Ruby and IPA...yummy!!! Great service and ambiance! Definitely an Oregon thing I missed!!

1  Thank HomeGrownOregonian
Reviewed September 10, 2010

This hotel was the most depressing awful place. The rooms are so dark that even with all the lights on I still had to use a flashlight to see into my suitcase. It was a school before being a hotel and it still had that school feel but not in a good way. I felt like I needed to be wearing flip flops in the shower. I had booked a room at the Oxford House and also at the St. Francis since they both had great reviews. I should have gone with the Oxford. Bend is such a beautiful place and this hotel just seemed out of place. Not my thing.

3  Thank tandh45
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Being a teacher, the last thing you usually want to do during your vacation is to go back to school! However, I made an exception for the fantastic Old Saint Francis School in Bend. All staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Each room was named after a local figure and had artwork, photos and a description of their background which was really interesting! The rooms were comfortable and clean although cooky and old-fashioned but such is the nature of the place. We reserved the Hammerhead package which got us $50 dinner credit and $20 breakfast credit - the bar has excellent micro beers and a good menu in a fun atmosphere. Breakfast was superb with the most delicious fresh lime and cherry scones! There are loads of things to do whilst at the Old School - there is a mineral soaking pool (which I wish I'd tried), live music, a bar and even a whisky and cigar bar! For further entertainment, charming downtown Bend is right down the street and has loads of cute stores and restaurants. Next time we're in Oregon (or Washington State) we'll be sure to check out another McMenamins property...

1  Thank flos
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We just returned from a trip to Bend and spent two nights in a King Suite at the Old St. Francis School. The room was the only one available when I made reservations in Jan. but having wanted to stay there for years we went for it. It is large--more than we needed or used--but very comfortable and well decorated. In all our travels--here and abroad--we have never experienced such helpful employees. We ate in the resurants, enjoyed the movies, bars, etc. and they all went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. If they didn't have the answer they even went so far to google for us and printed maps. Only problem we had was they were late getting to clean the room after the first night, even though we were out of the room all day and so all they did was replace towels, etc.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed here awhile back, I'm just now getting around to writing the review, sorry. We only stayed here one night, we were driving from Idaho to California. I loved this place. The room reminded me of a log cabin with the wood walls and extremely spacious room. The room was extremely quiet, the bed was very comfortable. We never went into the pub, but we walked around the next morning and the place is gorgeous. The only negative was that parking was limited because the pub was busy. We parked well away from the door, which was inconvenient because we had a lot of luggage since we were traveling with a baby. I would stay here again, I loved that this place was different, but still comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed here one night with my daughter (13) and nieces (15 and 10). The girls enjoyed the soaking pool. It's really a very large hot tub. Not a pool to swim in. We also enjoyed the free movie. Go early to get a seat on one of the couches. We ordered a pizza and ate it during the show. Very fun.

We stayed in the Art House which is a small bungalow on the back of the property. It was well air conditioned and roomy enough for all of us. The only very small downsides were that the shower is quite small (didn't matter to us) and the pub out back played music rather late that we could hear in the house with the doors and windows shut. Again, it didn't bother us but others may want to be aware. The grounds are well planted and fragrant.

We're staying another night in Bend on our way back home and the girls were disappointed to discover there weren't rooms available for us to stay here on our return trip.

All in all a very good value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family