“Cool, cool, cool!”

McMenamins Old St. Francis School
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was my first McMenamins hotel, but being familiar with their pubs and restaurants, I was looking forward to the Old St. Francis School and Bend in particular. I would now highly recommend both.

Any one familiar with Mc's properties knows that each is highly stylized in something of a Northwest meets Craftsman, meets Harry Houdini advertising poster, so I won't waste time describing it further, except to say it is extremely cool.

Just on block off Wall St.(the main street) this location is perfect. The rooms are spacious, parking convenient, staff wonderfully helpful, and the front desk is manned 24 hours. There are also cottages for larger groups

The 'campus' contains a brewery, 3 drinking establishments, a full service restaurant, a movie theatre, a very interesting and highly decorated Turkish bath, and wonderful indoor and outdoor communal areas at which to meet fellow guests.

One Tripadvisor reviewer suggested that one might be tempted never to leave the campus. This is true. But don't let it cause you to miss a spin around Bend. It is an infinitely charming and livable city full of fun restaurants, microbreweries, shops, great neighborhoods, and a riverside park that is the town's serene centerpiece.

Can't imagine you won't love this hotel. I would stay here again in a second and would proudly recommend it to fellow travelers.

Tip: if you visit one of the communal areas, your stay will be further enhanced by easy conversation with other guests who are just as charmed by the McMenamin's style.

Room Tip: Because of McMenamin's 'woodsy' decor, the rooms are a bit dark, even with the lights on...
1  Thank portofcaller
There are newer reviews for McMenamins Old St. Francis School

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had a wonderful evening here, loved the incredible soaking tub (yes, it is essentially a huge hot tub - so relaxing) and the hotel is a block from all the restaurants and bars of downtown, as well as the pretty park along the river. We had a great time!

Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and I camp for one week every year with some friends who have children. We bookend this event by having an adult centered evening before and after. This was fantastically romantic. We took two long soaks; one the night we got there, and one in the morning. Very good way to start the week. The movie theatre is free if you are staying the night, although we didn't make it that far, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

Room Tip: It is not really a swimming pool it is a soaking tub and I don't think that they have a fitness...
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We found this place by accident, boy did we get lucky. This Hotel is by far the best place we've ever stayed. The atmosphere is absolutely fantastic. The rooms are cozy. There are three different bars on site. They brew their own beer, and it's good. Oh yeah, they have a Movie theater and a soaking pool/hot tub. The staff is really attentive and helpful. We will be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Dblhaul
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This was one of my most favorite vacations. My bf and I stayed in the Father Dominic O'Connor King suite and it was great. We had a comfy bed...the friendliest staff...and amazing freebies. The food was great at the pub and the beer is yummy. I would definitely stay here again and in the same room with the same package. The Outdoor package was amazing! =)

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I am writing this review from my very comfortable bed in the Nunnery Cottage at the St Francis hotel. This is our "down day" on a 12-day road trip around central Oregon, and I am so pleased we decided to stay here. We checked in last night after a long day of driving, hiking and site-seeing, and found a spacious, lovely place to sleep, a happy hour with reasonably priced, delicious food, a movie for the kids, free wi-fi, and every amenity we could ask for within walking distance . . . mostly right on the property. The staff is super friendly and helpful and seem to like their jobs so much that after work, they hang out in the bar (which is right behind our cottage--we were able to send the kids "home" to bed while we stayed on for a drink). A very nice place and a really good value for families.

Room Tip: We are staying in the Nunnery cottage, which has 4 very nice bedrooms, although only one bath. I do...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel is very special and Bend is such a great city to visit. I'm not much of a history buff, but the concept of restoring old properties headed for destruction into something with so much charm and character is really something to see. I would love to meet the leaders of this company b/c it is quite an intriguing hospitality model they have developed. The rooms are all named after students who attended the St. Francis School, there are pictures, art, and historic explanations everywhere. The warming pool is so nice after a long day of travel and the custom ground black rabbit coffee was to die for. They make their own coffee, wine, spirits, incredible baked goods, you can't miss here. I can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family