“An amazing place to stay with so much to do!!”

McMenamins Old St. Francis School
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Portland, Oregon
“An amazing place to stay with so much to do!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

This was one of my most favorite vacations. My bf and I stayed in the Father Dominic O'Connor King suite and it was great. We had a comfy bed...the friendliest staff...and amazing freebies. The food was great at the pub and the beer is yummy. I would definitely stay here again and in the same room with the same package. The Outdoor package was amazing! =)

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I am writing this review from my very comfortable bed in the Nunnery Cottage at the St Francis hotel. This is our "down day" on a 12-day road trip around central Oregon, and I am so pleased we decided to stay here. We checked in last night after a long day of driving, hiking and site-seeing, and found a spacious, lovely place to sleep, a happy hour with reasonably priced, delicious food, a movie for the kids, free wi-fi, and every amenity we could ask for within walking distance . . . mostly right on the property. The staff is super friendly and helpful and seem to like their jobs so much that after work, they hang out in the bar (which is right behind our cottage--we were able to send the kids "home" to bed while we stayed on for a drink). A very nice place and a really good value for families.

Room Tip: We are staying in the Nunnery cottage, which has 4 very nice bedrooms, although only one bath. I do...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel is very special and Bend is such a great city to visit. I'm not much of a history buff, but the concept of restoring old properties headed for destruction into something with so much charm and character is really something to see. I would love to meet the leaders of this company b/c it is quite an intriguing hospitality model they have developed. The rooms are all named after students who attended the St. Francis School, there are pictures, art, and historic explanations everywhere. The warming pool is so nice after a long day of travel and the custom ground black rabbit coffee was to die for. They make their own coffee, wine, spirits, incredible baked goods, you can't miss here. I can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We just came for a beer and a bite and I loves the atmosphere, the helpful staff and the aforementioned beer and bites. I enjoyed the IPA and a veggie burger.
Sitting outside around the fireplaces with a good beer and a smoke surrounded by friendly, chatty people is what life is all about.
I like the M.C. Escher-ness about the school too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Beautiful room, comfortable bed, nice bar & and LOVED the soaking pool. Nice to be able to walk to dining and shopping.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at this hotel (Friday, Memorial Day weekend).

We checked in just after 3pm and were given the 'Delores Friberg' room (far end of the hall). It was perfectly cozy, paneled in wood and spacious enough with a TV and phone, broad windows and a bigger bathroom with a large shower.

Despite one minor incident with some people yelling on the sidewalk outside, we never heard a peep, inside or out. We attended a concert (The Shins @ nearby Les Schwab Amphitheater, a 1 mile walk) and dined beforehand in the main restaurant (decent ~ happy hour burger and over-salted/seasoned 'Cajun' tots); afterward we had a couple pints and a drams of Jameson in the wonderful Fireside Bar, along with a tasty (not on the menu, but ask for it) Mac & Cheese.

The bed was a little sub-par (lumpy), but otherwise the experience was very good and we'd gladly stay here again. The freshly roasted coffee left at our doorstep in the morning was a nice touch.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for three days this past weekwhile we enjoyed the Bend Ale Trail. Overall the hotel experience was great. You can find cheaper hotels in town, BUT you can't beat the location. The hotel has everything, even a soaking pool. Everyone who worked at the hotel was friendly. Our room was good size and comfortable. We had our dogs, which wasn't a problem.

The food and beer were both quite good. We had breakfast, dinner and happy hour. I love that you can buy a beer in the bar, then take it anywhere on the property you want to. After 10pm happy hour prices are only $3.25 a beer. I enjoyed a few late night IPA's.

You are right downtown and on the Bend Ale Trail. Including the hotel, you have five breweries within a short walk. McMenamin beers are sometime hit or miss, but all the ones I had here were very good. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple