“The apple of my eye!”

McMenamins Old St. Francis School
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Teachers get apples from their students, and this place gets an apple from me. As fans of places with character, we stayed in a converted classroom. The wood gave a warm feeling, and as an educator, I felt right at home. Service was supportive and kind. This is a truly unique establishment and worth a visit if you are in Bend and don't need anything modern and fancy.

Reviewed January 25, 2011

First I must highly commend the service. The manager there was great, and she did a fine job of taking care of us. We shortened our stay in Seattle, and decided to head to Bend - without a room for that night (Labor Day itself). She didn't have our room or a regular room, but put us into The Art House at no additional charge over our regular.

The Art House was very nice. You literally have your own house, complete with kitchen, kitchenette, two bedrooms and a living room. Very comfortable, bright, airy and fun. As agreed, we moved to the Main Lodge the next day. Our room was OK - but quite dark. The bushes outside didn't let in much light, and the log walls inside left the room with a very dark feeling. While we weren't in the room a whole lot, it just seemed too dark to enjoy when we were in it. Really, my only major complaint.

The other thing to consider when you choose this property is that I often think of McMenamins as a "destination spot". That is, you park the car and all of your needs are taken care of - meals, movies, bars, outdoor fires etc. This property had all of these, but in each case, there was something right outside the front door that was better in Downtown Bend. So the fantastic location is a good reason to stay here - but the location also takes away from the shine of McMenamins. If you can get better food, beer, coffee, wine and more right outside the front door, then maybe you go for a nicer room at a different property. We'll find out.

Again, I highly recommend this place - and would strongly recommend a house over the regular lodging. I liked it due to both the great service and the ideal location in downtown Bend.

2  Thank dukefan2331
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I've been wanting to stay at a McMenamins for a long time and finally did on Friday night. It was as wonderful as my expectations! The room is converted from actual classrooms, covered wall to wall [and ceiling!] in wood and log accents, with McMenamins' classic murals, clever celestial accents, and a healthy dose of wit. We stayed in the Robie Anderson room, complete with a funky portrait of Robie himself. The room was clean, spacious, with tons of thoughtful items like a coat rack and bench right inside the door, plenty of great armoire storage, 2-table desk and super-comfy reading chair. The bathroom was great and lovely as well.

I can't say enough nice things about the staff, who were so friendly and attentive, with that great laid back personality I've come to expect at all McMenamins properties; I felt like I was a treasured guest at the home of a good friend. Even down to little touches like asking what kind of coffee I like, as they have a coffee maker in the room but grind your preferred bean flavor fresh every morning and leave the grounds outside your door in the morning for you to brew in your room.

The crowning touch: the heavenly heated saltwater soaking pool, with about 1/3 of the ceiling open to the sky...must be incredible when it snows down into the pool. I could've stayed there all day!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cynthiashaffer
Reviewed November 13, 2010

I was in Bend for a week of business, and before booking my trip asked a few locals if there was any reason to stay anywhere else - the resounding answer was no. If you're looking for a high-end business experience (Westin, etc), note that this probably isn't the place for you. If, on the other hand, you're looking for something a bit different, with great food, beers you just can't find on the East coast, and an experience that leaves you wanting to up and move your family to cenral Oregon, this is the place. From classical music piped in to the bar/restaurant during breakfast, to Grateful Dead bootlegs and home-made pear brandy in the small bar out back, there really is something for everyone. The soaking tub was sublime, and I'll have to catch a movie next time I'm there...

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank jjshein
Reviewed November 9, 2010

A friend and I stayed here 3 nights in March. You can hang at the various restaurants/bars/movie theater etc. at the hotel or it's just a short walk downtown. We barely had to drive other than to drive the short distance to the Old Mill. There are many great downtown restaurants within walking distance and checkout the Tower Theater. We checked out a cool comedy show and got tickets last minute. Many of the downtown restaurants have great happy hour deals. Don't forget a visit to the soaking pool. Plus the free wi-fi is great.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank plaidbagel
Reviewed October 26, 2010

My fiance were road-tripping through Oregon and stayed at McMenamins in Bend for 1 night. This hotel was so cool! It used to be an old school house and each of the classrooms are now hotel rooms! Our room was very comfortable but we didn't spend much time there. Bend is a super hip town so we were out exploring. McMenamins is a great place to stay because you are right in the heart of downtown.
The night we stayed was a Monday night and they had Monday Night Football on in the theater - it was really fun!

1  Thank dsmtravelgal
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We did not stay in the hotel but being a Native Oregonian I must say this place still is one of my favorites! The seared Ahi is to die for and you have to have the "Rubberhead" beer. It is not on the menu but if you ask the servers they will know. It is a refreshing mix of the Ruby and IPA...yummy!!! Great service and ambiance! Definitely an Oregon thing I missed!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple