“Outstanding”
Review of DRAKE

DRAKE
Reserve with OpenTable
DRAKE is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 469 Restaurants in Bend
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Franklin
Description: DRAKE is an authentic neighborhood joint serving up creative and inspired comfort food in downtown Bend, OR. DRAKE's Chef Ryley is reinventing American classics with a modern, fresh flair. Specialties include daily fresh fish and risotto specials, mussels and fries, poutine and an array of burgers, salads, small plates and sides. DRAKE serves lunch and dinner seven days a week. Take in the view from over-sized windows on the iconic corner of NW Wall Street and NW Franklin Avenue in downtown Bend. On warm days enjoy prime outdoor seating on the bustling sidewalk. Inside, you'll enjoy a diner inspired ambiance with a beautiful hand crafted bar, an open kitchen with front row counter seating and comfortable booths. We are passionate about hospitality and we insist on delivering sincerity to every guest, every time. We want you to have a great experience at DRAKE from beginning to end, that’s our mission and that’s why we love this business. We gladly accept online or phone reservations and walk in diners. Please do not hesitate to call us to discuss your reservation needs.
Reviewed July 4, 2014

So happy to find a late night dinner option in Bend that isn't pub food. Our meal last night at Drake was excellent. The portobello mushrooms appetizer was perfect and my husband said his fried chicken was as good as Screen Door in Portland. Thanks Trip Advisor reviewers for another great recommendation!

1  Thank Amy W

Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is a great place to stop for lunch. Quiet, friendly, creative, and the food is always a cut above typical. It's nicer than home, but feels quite homey and relaxed. How do they do it?

1  Thank theepunch
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Back again since my last review of the Drake.

Bend, Oregon, is a very VERY busy little city in Central Oregon starting right after schools close, so I had to do some heavy watching for a parking space near the Drake. It is on the corner of Wall and Franklin, a perfect location! I lucked out and found a parking spot right in front of the restaurant.

I am giving them a very high rating for several reasons, but will name only a few:

They serve most of their menu in a Gluten-Free mode. BUT...They apparently no longer provide G-F buns or bread if one wants a burger etc. But they do a lot to make a Gluten Intolerant person leave very, very happy. So I "dinged" them one star in that category because of the reduction of G-F capabiliity. But I give the Drake a half a star back for diving through hoops to provide a large selection of G-F without trying to "sell" the idea that "we DO serve salads." The person with me who is Gluten Intolerant has a lot of experience in eating wood and drinking water - and we really do appreciate the Drake's staff and owners for serving real G-F food.

The atmosphere is lively, and our previous time was noisy - er, loud. This time it was nearly empty because they were just about to do their lunch-to-dinner pause and there were only a few people there. But the reason we went there was for the food and the service, and the atmosphere for lunch would have been just fine with a bit of noise. However, we were quite happy that we could hear each other talk without having to shout.

The server, LORI, was really great. We came in about five minutes prior to their closing for the afformentioned hour when they change menus and prepare for the dinner crowd. When we asked if they are still serving, LORI (I capitalized it so you all know who to ask for) told us that they are getting ready but she would check with the chef - which took about ten seconds since the cooking is all right in the open. A smiling "of course we can" was more than we expected.

After going through the questions and answers about G-F, we perused the menu and ordered.

My Drake Cheese Burger With Fries was cooked to order and was perfect, although my 4-inch mouth height was about an inch less than the Burger's height (all measurements are estimates).

The other person with me asked where the shrimp came from. We ask this after finding out most oriental-farmed shrimp are now approved by the FDA for allowing the feeding of human excrement (sorry) to them. The answer from the chef: "they are Gulf (of Mexico) shrimp." So shrimp it was - with a really neat accompaniment in which I cannot exactly remember as I peered over the high pile of Burger between us. They get a super five stars for their food quality including clean shrimp.

So: Ambiance - pretty good, Service - spectacular, and Food - excellent. Oh yeah - we heard the couple at the bar exclaim that their drinks and service were wonderful.

Go there and bring friends.

1  Thank R W
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Came across this wonderful eatery by accident when passing through. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming. All the staff stopped at the table to say hi and check on us. Super friendly. The food was excellent, Very unique combinations of ingredients, which was a welcome surprise. Give this place a try...well worth it.

1  Thank Suzzers
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We ate at Drake for dinner, and loved it! The fish and chips were amazing! The service was good, and the restaurant had a nice atmosphere. Great place to eat in downtown Bend.

1  Thank JRWalker