“End of an era” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Bend, Oregon, United States
“End of an era”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Don't even waste your time. The quality of the food at Hong Kong has been steadily going downhill since the previous owner decided to leave. We stopped going a little over a year ago then last week decided to give it another try. We got take-out of our favorite - #6 substitute the sweet & sour pork for hawiian chicken. The meal also included fried shrimp, pork fried rice and almond chicken subgum. First thing we noticed is that the portions were so much smaller. The almond chicken subgum had no white meat. The tiny bit of chicken that was there was dark and looked wrong. And there were NO ALMONDS!!! Then the fried shrimp - usually there are 5-6 shrimp. We got 4. The pork fried rice was dry and tasteless. We also ordered a BBQ Pork appitizer which the server forgot to put in our bag. She said there were five containers. Well the 5th container was just more pork fried rice. Thankfully they refunded the cost to our debit card. I got my to go order around 6:30 in the evening - the restaurant had one occupied table. They used to have a good buffet but I don't see that they advertise that anymore either. And the restaurant is dark and dingy. They need a good cleaning and bright coat of paint or something to brighten and liven up the place.

About 10 years ago Hong Kongs rival, Eddies Canton, closed their doors. We thought Hong Kong would pick up where Eddies left off. Nope.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank AmySampels

Bend, Oregon
“Happy hour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stopped in on a Sunday afternoon, after taking the dogs for a run. We were not dressed for the main restaurant, but felt comfortable being in the bar...we hoped.

It is a nice bar, only one other person there when we arrived. Quick service. Clean, kinda dark like you would expect. TV's, video poker, etc.

We thought for what we received during Happy Hour, it was a bit expensive, but we did have an outstanding bartender/server. His descriptions of the food were fairly accurate, although we found the portions larger than we expected from his description. We had leftovers for the next day, so it wasn't a big deal.

Good food. Nothing outstanding other than the friendly bartender!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bend or
“cold food no help from managment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Ordered the four thing for 10,50 got fried shrimp with only 2 of the 4 had shrimp in them.Egg foo young was cold and the size of a golf ball.Fried rice was like it was 2 days old and cold. chow mien was not to bad but had very very little chicken in it. When i called them and talked to the manager she was snotty and didn't even try to help me, Patty said she went and talked to the kitchen help and i was wrong. I will never go there again.We have been going there of about 20 years and this is the 3rd and last time i will ever get bad food from there. It has been in the last year and a half food has gone way down hill. Don't need to through my money away.

• Visited September 2012
Bend, Oregon
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

Average Chinese food. Nothing special. Place could stand a good cleaning......

Visited January 2012
Wine Country, north of San Francisco
“Disapointing; did not live up to previous http://www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewEdit-g51766-d417333-a_placetytwo reviews!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

Being a new resident to central Oregon, I put together a list of restaurants Trip Advisor to check out. The decor is mediocre at best as was the service. They were attentive but they just seemed like Zombies dragging themselves around with great effort. The table was not properly cleaned as was some of the surfaces of the condiment dispensers,We did not let this influence our opinion. Living near Chinatown Oakland and frequenting San Francisco Chinatown, Ive had some of the best (Cantonese) food on the planet. My wife and I settled on the Family Dinner #B for two. She had egg flour soup while I chose the hot and sour. Wow, my soup was top notch. Spicy hot but so good you did not care. I'll come back for a large to go order the next time I come down with a cold. Next came the appetizer try with 2 veggie egg rolls, 2 crab filled pot stickers and 2 thick slices of BBQ pork along with some dipping sauces. It was average...not bad but not exceptional either. Next came the main entree: a combo medley of carrot celery and other sliced veggies mixed with some beef, some shrimp and mostly chicken. the shrimp and chicken was just okay, while the beef had an off taste like bad liver that made us remove it from our mouths. The veggies were the best part. The second dish was a glazed chicken sliced. It was bland until I added some salt. It now turned out to be one of the tastier dishes. The third dish was the BBQ pork fried rice. So bland and mediocre, I've made better fried rice at home. He took the leftover glazed chicken home, but not the mostly untouched rice. The menu indicated Cantonese and Sichuan, I would call it Americanized, like chow mein..

Overall the proportions were generous and the and the dinner cost just $22.00. I recommend you pay more and eat better somewhere else.

• 2 of 5 bubbles