“Very cozy, good meals, and good specials.”
Review of Roszaks Fish House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Roszaks Fish House
Ranked #314 of 471 Restaurants in Bend
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have eaten here very often, and have enjoyed so many lunches and dinners. The service is usually good and not long waits to be seated. Always have a fun time.

1  Thank Margie25312

Reviewed December 19, 2012

On a whim, we decided to give Roszak's a try. I hadn't been in there in several years and surf and turf sounded pretty good.

Sadly, Roszak's seems like a likely candidate for Robert Irvine's "Restaurant Impossible." I think Roszak's opened in the 70s, and the decor hasn't changed. The lounge was busy, but when we arrived, we were the only people in a 20+ table restaurant - never a good sign.

I ordered the fish and chips, very disappointing. The "chips" were clearly defrosted Ore-Ida crinkle-cut fries, and the fish "nuggets" were clearly frozen as well. My wife ordered a steak that was supposed to be medium but, even after sending it back for being too raw, came back bloody red, not to mention it was far too salty. To be honest, I'm fairly certain the only thing in our two orders that was fresh was the coleslaw, and even that I'm not sure of.

It's pretty obvious that everything that comes out of Roszak's kitchen comes from the freezer first.

The service was not bad, but not great, either.

There are too many other good restaurants in Bend that do a far better job than Roszak's, and I'd recommend looking elsewhere for seafood or steak fare.

1  Thank DMeddish
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The name is a bit misleading. While they do have seafood on the menu, they have other genre's as well. It's to bad the focus isn't on seafood. The fish didn't seem fresh and when asked about the steamer clams, we were advised that it was a frozen pre made product. The soup was beef barley and Indian curry? No chowder. The decor was pure 80's. needs a face lift for sure. Probably wont go back with other options close.

1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had dinner there last night (Friday nite), and the place was empty. I wondered why and attributed it to the goings-on downtown. I ordered lobster with the two sides being salad and sweet potato fries. Husband ordered oysters with baked potato and chowder. Sister ordered the Shrimp Fest. My lobster was watery,leaving a puddle under it, and not broiled, just boiled. The portion was about 4 small bites, if that, and I'm not exaggerating. It was mushy and tasteless. The drawn "butter" was almost cold, the sweet potato fries were cold and tasteless, with absolutely no seasoning. The dipping sauce for the sweet potatoes was inedible. I took one bite and almost gagged. Waitress acted offended when I told her I couldn't eat it. I thought it was spoiled. She said it was the "signature recipe," a cajun recipe that they have used for years. She even brought the recipe out and read off the ingredients, which included tarragon, rosemary, etc. Whatever it was, it was not good. I also ordered a shrimp plate from the appetizer menu, for $9.00, which was actually a better meal than the lobster. The salad was boring, as was the dressing. I ate a small portion of salad, but it was basically lettuce and a mound of grated carrots, My husband liked his oysters and baked potato, and my sister said her shrimp fest was "okay," but that she thought the sauce for the sweet potatoes was spoiled, and that a few of her grilled shrimp had the same flavor as the dipping sauce. No atmosphere, and we were the only people in the restaurant, on a Friday night. There were several people in the bar, which I noticed as I left the restaurant. The bread was good, the service was fast, and the waitress was nice, but seemed to be shocked when I didn't like the dipping sauce. The lobster was $25.95, for 3 or 4 bites...Unbelievable! Mostly shellfish on the menu, but no selection of fish like I assumed.

4  Thank Anne M
Reviewed August 3, 2012

They offer regular coupons for their prime rib dinners every weekend which are reliablely tender and generous. There is a cozy happy hour with small-meal dishes, as well as drinks. Even their lunches are affordable and elegant. Finally. it is never noisy and/or crowded.

1  Thank Loomis and Bev G