“Cilantro chutney best part of meal”

Taj Palace Indian Cuisine
Ranked #230 of 451 Restaurants in Bend
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Boise, Idaho
“Cilantro chutney best part of meal”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I love Indian food and have eaten it for the past 15years,even learning to cook several dishes. I tried the lunch buffet. many choices tasted the same and most were lukewarm. Tandoori chicken was tough and chewy and not warm. Pakoras were very small, unlike any I've ever had. Rice was regular white rice not basmati. Again lukewarm. The server took the tip right after I put it on the table before clearing our plates. Very odd.

Visited November 2012

Nanaimo, Canada
“Who knew a buffet could be this good?”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I'm not a connoisseur of Indian food but I've eaten around the Pacific, and have been to lots of buffets of all types. I wasn't expecting anything great for a late weekend lunch, but the food was fresh, tasty and there was an unexpected variety (not just tandoori and curries). I'd come back again for dinner.

Visited September 2012
Redmond, Oregon
“I had the buffet and it was good but not a big selection”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The food is what you would expect at an Indian restaurant I would go back if I am in the mood for Indian food. Not many choices for Indian food in this area

Visited August 2012
Bend, Oregon
“Home Style Indian Food”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Taj is hard for me to review because a visit there made me realize that I don't know that much about Indian food. In days gone by when visiting Indian friends or eating in restaurants in NY or San Francisco, I was always able to figure out what I was eating. This is not a knock on the Taj Palace, but I didn't really know what some of the stuff was that I was eating during a recent visit to Taj Palace.

I was looking forward to Taj's buffet when my family went there for dinner on a Saturday evening, but alas there was no buffet offered. My daughter, who is a vegetarian, ordered a lentil dish and found it to be a little on the spicy side for her tastes. But then it doesn't take much spice to make food too spicy for her taste. We had to laugh because it was difficult to figure out which dish in her order was the lentil dish that she ordered. Now that sounds like a strange thing to say, but her order was presented as cylindrical tray with 5 smaller cylinders, each containing something, surrounding a bed of rice. Eventually we figured out which smaller cylinder contained lentils, and they appeared to have been cooked for quite a while so that the dish resembled a stew. My wife ordered a lamb dish, and sure enough, she also was served a cylindrical tray with 5 smaller cylinders of food, one of which was lamb. It wasn't so hard to figure out which cylinder contained lamb, and she found it to be very good. I also ordered a lamb dish, but it was presented on a separate sizzling platter and was accompanied by .... you guessed it, the ubiquitous cylindrical tray with 5 smaller cylinders of food. The lamb had been braised in a spicy mixture and was very good. I managed to figure out that one of the small cylinders contained eggplant and potato - spicy and tasty but a bit greasy. I really wasn't able to figure out what the other cylinders contained. It struck me that everything had been cooked for a long time, and it reminded me of older home style cooking from grandma's era where food was "cooked to death".

Dinners included a starter that were thin sheets of baked something accompanied by three condiments reminiscent of hummus, a cilantro-based pesto sort of thing, and a chili something. Naan, which was very good, accompanied dinners. A dessert option was also included - a doughnut hole in a sweet syrup or rice pudding in a yogurt based sauce with cashews.

Prices are quite reasonable for dinners, mostly in the lower to mid-teens. Service appeared to be provided by family members, and they were helpful in answering questions and helping us avoid dishes with nuts (to avoid an allergic reaction in my daughter).

My best guess is that Taj Palace serves authentic home style Indian food. The food is not upscale, but it is decent and different.

• Visited September 2012
Bend, Oregon, United States
“One dimention, Curry”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

So it's buffet style, which looked very sloppy. I love curry but this placed offered one taste curry, curry.. no different flavors, would not recommend

Visited September 2011