“Artful Middle Eastern Food with Generous Portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mazza Bistro - CLOSED

Mazza Bistro
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Eugene, Or
“Artful Middle Eastern Food with Generous Portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

First time here - at lunch - so ordered a Beef Schwarma Wrap. First of all - it's huge; enough to feed two people. Second - deliciously prepared with fresh sauces, vegetables and nicely seasoned meat. You can tell they know what they are doing and don't just throw a couple of middle eastern style ingredients together in a wrap and call it good. There are a lot of ingredients in this, so complex flavors and textures. I can't wait to come back for a dinner - they looked like they would be great as well. Lunches are in the $8-9 range, entrees in the $12-14.

• Visited January 2013

Bend, Oregon
“Best middle eastern food in Bend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

After being disappointed by Kebaba and Joolz, I was excited to try the newest middle eastern restaurant in town. The place is small but the staff and owners are very friendly and attentive. Because the dining area is so small I almost felt like I was being served in the owners' own home, as a beloved guest they hoped to please with delicious home cooking. I found this to be very pleasant, yet not bothersome. Lets start with the mezza plate. It contained the best tabbouleh salad I have had to date, tangy, fresh and not overwhelmed by mint. The falafel are bar-none the best I have had in my life and it was a pleasure to watch them make them fresh. The hummus was pungent and garlicky with a hint of smokiness as I prefer it. The babaganoush was very well seasoned as well, garlicky, balanced with sesame and with a kick of fresh lemon to complement the subtle smokiness. The dolmades were very good, better than the rest in town, in our opinion, as well. My husband also really enjoyed the rice and lentil dish that rounded out the mezza plate. Yes, the mezza plate is a feast for vegetarians and lovers of middle eastern cuisine alike. The chicken schwarma was also a generous portion of well seasoned chicken over a bed of rice. It came with a side of the delicious aforementioned hummus and I chose the Greek salad. I ordered a side of garlic yogurt sauce which I enjoyed with my meal and when I drizzled it over my Greek salad as well. Lets not forget that the plate was studded with whole chickpeas. They were savory and delicious. I normally don't like whole plain chickpeas but I loved these. The owners explained that they make everything fresh and use no prepared foods. Ah! So this is the reason the chickpeas (and everything else, for that matter) didn't taste like flavorless mush! All in all I heartily enjoyed our meal and look forward to eating there many more times as we sample the rest of the menu. If you like authentic middle eastern home cooking, then visit Mazza Bistro. I REALLY liked it!

Bend, Oregon, United States
“Boss's Day Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I decided to treat my boss to lunch at this pleasant little restaurant just down the street. This is the second time I've visit Mazza Bistro and Maxine and Michel are doing a great job. I ordered the Chicken Shwarma Wrap (for the second time) and my boss had the Falafel Wrap and we shared a salad. Our meal was huge. Enough for lunch the next day for sure. I found that the flavors have greatly improved since my first visit and I thoroughly enjoy the hot sauce that I asked for on the side. The salad was fresh and flavorful. I really enjoy this place and will be back very soon.

• Visited October 2012
Farmville, Virginia
“Excellent first impression!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We bought take-out last night from Mazza Bistro for the first time. I bought one complete dinner and two sides to share with my husband. Not only was this plenty of food for the two of us, but we had some leftover today as well. The food was excellent. I watched them as they prepared it from scratch while I visited with one of the owners, Maxine. You can't go wrong at this place. The owners are wonderful people. The food is delicious, fresh, and the portions are large. The menu is varied and the prices are very reasonable, especially considering the quality of the food and the amount. I plan to tell everyone I know about this place, and will return soon. We were impressed!!!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank furnmtz
Bend, Oregon
“Great start, disappointing follow-up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am a Middle-Eastern food fan and was happy to learn about this new restaurant in Bend. Lunch started off promisingly, with some of the best baba ganoush outside of Lebanon--smokey and perfect in consistency. However, the main course shawarmas (chicken and lamb) ordered by my companions were rather boring. The garlic sauce lacked that hot garlic zing they expected. The mezza plate that I ordered did have some wonderful falafel, but the dolmades and hummus were both just ho-hum.

On the other hand, all the food was freshly prepared and attractively presented. I guess I would have to say that, of the Middle Eastern restaurants in Bend, Mazza has some of the best food, depending on what you order. I would probably eat here again, but I would stick to the baba ganoush and falafel.

• Visited September 2012