“I see her everyday from my office window”
Review of South Sister

South Sister
Ranked #23 of 93 things to do in Bend
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“I see her everyday from my office window”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great place to hike - but she is best when veiwed from afar - does not matter if it's winter or summer, although winter with the alpenglow when the sun rises is so spectacular!

Visited January 2013

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Worth the Climb but not for Everyone”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have climbed South Sister 3 times in the past years. Don't even try it until August as there is snow until then.It is a difficult hike and not for everyone. If you are not accustomed to higher altitudes factor that is as there is a huge elevation gain (Masybe 4000 feet) When you finally summit the views are to die for. Looking down on Mt. Bachelor and Broken Top with lot os little lakes--fabulous! Going down is much easier (unless you ahve knee issues. I have seen people hiking this with small children (they were crying) don't do that to your kids as this is difficult for adults let alone kids.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Pattym51
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Tough hike! But beautiful views.”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We impulsively decided to hike South Sister in the middle of the night when the moon was full and a meteor shower was expected. We started at 2 or 3am. Once we were above treeline, we no longer needed our headlamps. We hiked in early August, and snow was still on the slope and slowed us down quite a bit as we tried to cross it in the dark while it was frozen. During the day I'm sure it would have been easier. We tried to summit for sunrise but didn't quite make it. It was still a beautiful sunrise as we passed Broken Top. With a 2 hour break at the top, the whole hike up and down took us about 14 hours. Yes ... that is long.

1 Thank JennaBean3
La Pine
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Monumental for the Novice”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Before hiking this trail I read all the reviews which made this confusing to figure out what to expect from my inexperienced point of view. I had started walking late April in prep for the August 5th summit with my young adult and in-shape daughter. After months of walks and 50+ miles on my pedometer, I thought I was ready for this. We had plans to hike to Morrain Lake, camp and then summit the next day. August 4th we hit the trail at 11:30 a.m. in 80 degree heat with 40 pound back packs. I made it about 1 and 1/2 miles before getting heat sick and we turned back and went home. August 5th we were on the trail by 8:00 a.m.; the earlier the better.
We had an MRI and each of us had a Camelback water system, she had a water filter as well, you WILL drink all your water by the time you reach Lewis Lake.
The trail is easy the first mile, turns into heavily wooded area with switchbacks and the roots of the trees stick up above the trail--eyes on the trail or you will get tripped. After the twisty trail you begin to ease up and you get to "the plains" above Morraine Lake, about 6,000 feet plus. We stopped here and had our MRI lunch, last 'pit' stop as the rest of the trail is open. Please bury your excrement/pee at least 200 yards away from a water source, pack out your toilet paper and your messes. Bathroom facilities are only at the parking lot area.
We reached the plateau and it was close to noon, it was warm. Sunscreen, lip balm,bug repellant, sunglasses, hat or scarf and layered clothing is recommended.
I was not used to the pace or the elevation and had to stop about every 15 feet in the steep areas. Do it, don't feel stupid. IF you are feeling sick, DO NOT CONTINUE. I felt great as long as I could stop often and yes, we DID summit! We filtered drinking water at the false summit's lake since all of our water was gone (2 litres). The false summit area is like trying to climb out of a box of bread crumbs. Extreme care is to be taken.
Coming down is not any easier than going up, it's just different. The pressure on your heels on the upclimb is relieved and aimed at your toes and knees. Good shoes and socks are essential!
I highly recommend walking/climbing Pilot Butte or Lava Butte at least twice a week for 3 months before this one. My legs and thighs were extremely sore for two days. I'll know better next time.
And yes, there will be at least one more hike! This is a 12 mile round trip, on the trail at 8:00 a.m. and we were back down at the parking lot by 3:30 p.m.
My daughter and I had planned this the year before and it didn't happen, I had what I thought were heart issues in March; when the doc said I was okay, we made plans to complete this event and when we reached the top, we high-fived, hugged and cried. I was glad she didn't kill me with her ability...(:

Visited August 2012