“Food was fabulous - service "not so much"”
Review of Barrio

Barrio
Ranked #24 of 471 Restaurants in Bend
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wall Street
Description: Barrio is a Neighborhood Spanish Kitchen specializing in fast-casual lunch (fresh salads, homemade savory soups, tacos made-to-order including pork carnitas and fish varieties, and vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free friendly options. Dinner is comprised of shared plates from a variety of different tapas to choose from, to different types of paella (including a vegetarian option), and mouth-watering desserts, including housemade churros and chocolate to end the night. Barrio also offers a full bar including unique cocktails made from fresh ingredients, a modest spanish wine list and local brews.
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I ate at Barrio for the first time with co-workers last evening. The restaurant is very small in size, about a dozen tables...and things were hopping. This was early in the evening, about 5-5:30. We were seated right away as we had reserved a table ahead of time. Good start, but the experience went down hill from there. We waited for a good 15 minutes before we were even served water and that was after tracking down the busboy. Then we waited for our menus to be delivered. After another wait, our drink order was taken and we waited at least 10 minutes for delivery. We finally had our order taken about 30-40 minutes after arrival.

The menu is fun, many interesting choices in tapas, several paellas as well as a handful of large plates. Prices are a bit on the high side, but the food was excellent. I enjoyed three street tacos, 1 carnitas, 1 grilled snapper and 1 carne asada. They were very good. The service was not attentive at all during the evening. We only saw the server to receive the menu, deliver our drink order and she checked in after the food was delivered by someone else. At that time I asked for a drink refill which never came. Same with the water, we never saw anyone to fill the glasses after the initial filling. We then had to try to find the server to track down our bill. The entire experience was just close to 3 hours. We weren't really in any hurry, but if the service was better, the restaurant could turn tables more often. We saw several people have to wait extended time for a table, or didn't wait at all.

It is a shame that the service doesn't match the excellent food. They have a good thing going if they can get it together. My average rating is due to the experience with the service, nothing to do with the food. I recommend the restaurant (due to it's size and cramped seating) for couples or small groups. It is not a place I would take or recommend taking children.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Having only been to a happy hour at Barrio , but been impressed by their delicious barside tacos, we booked a 6 pm table on New Years Eve. We arrived 7 minutes before 6, there were eight empty tables, set and ready to go. The hostess politely informed we'd have to wait a 'bit'. We had to stand in the cold, breezy entrance of the place for 7 minutes when apparently, the hostess was given the all clear to seat us. The wait staff seemed new, not familiar with the menu and besieged by the 6 pm seating. Ridiculous, we could have been seated and drink order taken before the other reservations came in and the place got busy. The waitress we had was , as sated, unfamiliar with the menu and the New Year's eve drink specials and more time was lost as she had to find out what they were. The drinks are unimaginative, you can get much better at other local establishments. The salad was fresh, although it had a choice of only two dressings , neither of which particularly appealed us. We had the fried plantains with carnitas and guac as an app. Skimpy with the fillings and should have been served hotter.We order the paella mixta for two. Barrio had 3 New Year's Eve seatings that night, we had the second one at 6 pm and the rice in the paella showed the stress. Very mushy. It had a good flavor although I expected to find the classic mussels or clams in it. It was supposed to come with chicken and chorizo and seafood. We had chicken, fish,calamari, 2, count 'em, 2 shrimp. No chorizo. Accompanied by 3 slices of grilled bread, if it had oil on it, we couldn't taste, just dry lackluster pieces of bread stuck upright in the chorizo. When the waitress delivered the paella, she did not clear the salad plates and it was apparent we were expected to eat our dinner off the salad plates with the same utensils. We had churros and chocolate for dessert. The churros had spent a minute too long in the fryer and were dark brown but still tasty enough. We were very disappointed that a New Year's Eve at Barrio was disorganized, chaotic and just ok. Probably would drop in for happy hour tacos but doubt if we'd pop for a meal there again.

4  Thank Tourmalinequeen
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I'd like to have given Barrio 5 stars. Everyone was very happy with their food. The atmosphere was fun and good for kids. I called before we went to make sure they had a kids menu and was told they did but upon arrival the kids menu was not posted ...was told they would make cheese quesadillas, peanut butter and jelly, or a hot dog. I ordered 3 tacos (delicious - $7), 1 cup of soup ($3) and a beer (??? $3-5 another price not listed). So I'm guessing my total was around $13. My bill however, was $32. That means I spent $19 on a hot dog with chips and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with fruit. So, while I loved the food, the end price tag kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd go back, but probably without my kids.

2  Thank Erika L
Reviewed December 30, 2012

WOW! Well worth the wait. The food was great and it was perfect that you could order small bites or full meals. Great atmosphere where families, couples, singletons and groups all co-mingled to enjoy delicious food.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was having a "between meal" hunger attack. The concierge at the Oxford suggested I visit Barrio. The menu selections were fantastic, the food delightful and reasonably priced.