“New Year's Eve, they blew it”
Review of Barrio

Barrio
Ranked #16 of 476 Restaurants in Bend
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wall Street
Description: Barrio is a Neighborhood Spanish Kitchen specializing in fast-casual lunch (fresh salads, homemade savory soups, tacos made-to-order including pork carnitas and fish varieties, and vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free friendly options. Dinner is comprised of shared plates from a variety of different tapas to choose from, to different types of paella (including a vegetarian option), and mouth-watering desserts, including housemade churros and chocolate to end the night. Barrio also offers a full bar including unique cocktails made from fresh ingredients, a modest spanish wine list and local brews.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Having only been to a happy hour at Barrio , but been impressed by their delicious barside tacos, we booked a 6 pm table on New Years Eve. We arrived 7 minutes before 6, there were eight empty tables, set and ready to go. The hostess politely informed we'd have to wait a 'bit'. We had to stand in the cold, breezy entrance of the place for 7 minutes when apparently, the hostess was given the all clear to seat us. The wait staff seemed new, not familiar with the menu and besieged by the 6 pm seating. Ridiculous, we could have been seated and drink order taken before the other reservations came in and the place got busy. The waitress we had was , as sated, unfamiliar with the menu and the New Year's eve drink specials and more time was lost as she had to find out what they were. The drinks are unimaginative, you can get much better at other local establishments. The salad was fresh, although it had a choice of only two dressings , neither of which particularly appealed us. We had the fried plantains with carnitas and guac as an app. Skimpy with the fillings and should have been served hotter.We order the paella mixta for two. Barrio had 3 New Year's Eve seatings that night, we had the second one at 6 pm and the rice in the paella showed the stress. Very mushy. It had a good flavor although I expected to find the classic mussels or clams in it. It was supposed to come with chicken and chorizo and seafood. We had chicken, fish,calamari, 2, count 'em, 2 shrimp. No chorizo. Accompanied by 3 slices of grilled bread, if it had oil on it, we couldn't taste, just dry lackluster pieces of bread stuck upright in the chorizo. When the waitress delivered the paella, she did not clear the salad plates and it was apparent we were expected to eat our dinner off the salad plates with the same utensils. We had churros and chocolate for dessert. The churros had spent a minute too long in the fryer and were dark brown but still tasty enough. We were very disappointed that a New Year's Eve at Barrio was disorganized, chaotic and just ok. Probably would drop in for happy hour tacos but doubt if we'd pop for a meal there again.

4  Thank Tourmalinequeen

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I'd like to have given Barrio 5 stars. Everyone was very happy with their food. The atmosphere was fun and good for kids. I called before we went to make sure they had a kids menu and was told they did but upon arrival the kids menu was not posted ...was told they would make cheese quesadillas, peanut butter and jelly, or a hot dog. I ordered 3 tacos (delicious - $7), 1 cup of soup ($3) and a beer (??? $3-5 another price not listed). So I'm guessing my total was around $13. My bill however, was $32. That means I spent $19 on a hot dog with chips and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with fruit. So, while I loved the food, the end price tag kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd go back, but probably without my kids.

2  Thank Erika L
Reviewed December 30, 2012

WOW! Well worth the wait. The food was great and it was perfect that you could order small bites or full meals. Great atmosphere where families, couples, singletons and groups all co-mingled to enjoy delicious food.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was having a "between meal" hunger attack. The concierge at the Oxford suggested I visit Barrio. The menu selections were fantastic, the food delightful and reasonably priced.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have eaten dinner here now on 3 separate occassions, and each visit the food, service and drinks have been excellent. They bring a unique blend of flavors to each dish - spicy but not overly dominating to the plate, and the choices are very different from anything else available in Bend. Highly reccomend that you try Barrio, although it can be difficult to get into so we have made reservations the last two times. Barrio has actually become my wife's favorite restaurant now in Bend.

1  Thank SunloverBend