“Lava flows”

Lava Lands Visitor Center
Ranked #9 of 109 things to do in Bend
More attraction details
Owner description: The interpretive hub for the Newberry National Volcanic Monument.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I liked the opportunity to walk through lava flows from nearby volcanos! We also drove to the top of a cinder one and hiked around its crater.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

So off world, Definitely not in Kansas...

Worth a look just to see something for most of us very different! Geology up close and personal. Kept thinking about the biblical calculus of only 6000 or so years!?

Thinking also that at some point in time the entire planet must've been like this and that here in the much older eastern US time has re-worked these once harsh barrens; "6000 years"!?

How many eons does it take to make soil, dirt?

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Very interesting pace to get out of the heat of summer. It is very cold. I don't recommend wearing shorts and tank tops. I saw some people wearing this and they were shivering and cut the visit short. It is very difficult walking for the first 15 or 20 min. So wear good shoes. I wore Keens and had an easier time than those wearing flip flops. As far as lighting goes I had a head lamp and I wished I had taken a good flashlight as well. It is very very dark and if u don't take adequate lighting it is very easy to stumble and fall. I really enjoyed it and would go back again

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Loved this hike! It takes about an hour to hike to the end of the cave and back. Wear sturdy shoes and layer your clothes as the temp in the cave hovers around 50 F or slightly below. We brought our own flashlights, but they have lanterns for rent. I really enjoyed this hike and strolling through the cave. We combined this hike with a stop at Newberry National Volcanic Monument, which is also worth a stop. I highly recommend this visit to your National Forest!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had a great time. For 5 bucks can't beat it. We went over once to the visitor then had to get to sunriver to check in. Then we went back and paid 5 bucks again another day to drive up to the top (the butte, lava butte). Be sure to take the hike around the rim. It was beautiful. Kids thought they would fall off the side at the beginning but that was very unfounded. Lots of room, it was a lot of fun explaining to them that they would not fall off the edge of this volcano with 10 feet of path on each side and a gentle slope beyond that. The ranger was very helpful and great to talk to both at the visitor center and up by the fire watch at the top of the butte!