“Lovely downtown Bend restaurant”
Review of Dojo - CLOSED

Dojo
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Lovely downtown Bend restaurant”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My friends and I go often and enjoy our experience each time. The Nam Jim Popcorn Shrimp is a favorite, along with the rolls and the cocktails :) Great atmosphere for a family or just to meet up for a happy hour cocktail. I will continue to go back!

Madras, OR
“Some things very good, others lacking”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I enjoyed the variety of fusion-style sushi rolls. I'd give a big miss to the grilled eggplant and kim chi. The former was simply boring. The latter delivered on a teeny-tiny plate for $5. I was shocked, but didn't say anything. About 10 min. later the server brought over an equally teeny-tiny plate of more kim chi saying we were "shorted" the first time. The kim chi tasted processed, vs "made in house" as advertised. Diners can find better Korean food at a Korean restaurant; Japanese food at a Japanese restaurant. Boken tries to combine the Asian flavors. Some are good. Two thumbs up on the sake selection.

• Visited December 2012
Bend, Oregon
“Grilled Asian bar food in Bend”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

You'll find Boken in the pedestrian walkway between Wall Street and Drake Park. This is Asian bar food, not fine dining, so please adjust your expectations. I prefer to stick with the grilled and fried foods such as pork belly ( yum!) , soft shell crab, chicken wings in a salty sweet and fishy sauce, eggplant, etc. I find the sushi and rolls to be mediocre. The daily selection of vegetabls in XO sauce is a great choice to balance out your meal. I have also tasted a wonderful bowl of noodles in a roasted pork broth.

Unfortunately, Boken has dropped the deep fried chicken skin ( now THERE"S a guilty pleasure) and the grilled asian peppers from their menu. I hope these return when the restaurant expands.

The ambience is crowded, noisy, and hip. The plates are small and relatively cheap. But you can run up a substantial bill here if you get carried away. Not for children

• Visited December 2012
“Stay away!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Worst so called Korean food I have ever had the misfortune to have eaten. Miso soup like dish water. Pickled veggies tasted like vlassic butter pickles. UGH! Tofu worst than bland. Kim chi was the white-est ever, no spice no garlic barely even fermented. Steamed buns with pork belly and Kim chi was more like a Mexican torta with cabbage, Ugh again. After all at my table was served and DISHES WERE CLEARED they finally brought out my spare ribs, which were so chewy and rubbery they chewed back at me. Had to leave them on the table.
Waitress was sorry and embarrassed about the food but the problems are all in the kitchen, not with her service. Just hard for her when the food is so bad. She disclosed restuarant is on the 3rd chef in 2 months. They need to be still looking. At least find a Korean cookbook and try a few Korean recipes.

1 Thank grannybud
Princeton, NJ
“Great meal in a cute little trendy Asian tapas restaurant”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

A charming little place with excellent hot dishes but, unfortunately, mediocre rolls (IMHO). Went last week (8/;22/12) with 4 family members. Dishes that we loved: the sweet potato fries (had to get a second order!), the XO vegetables (spicy, salty, flavorful, wonderful), the tofu (in a spicy kim-chee-like sauce), and the mussels. We also really liked the terrific papaya salad and the eggplant but the latter was a tiny portion. Others at the table really liked the pork dumplings; I don't eat much meat so I can't really judge, I think. one disappointment was the vegetable spring roll - too much cucumber; it was unbalanced. Also disappointing were the sushi rolls; the fish itself was tasty but the rolls lacked something. We speculated, but didn't quite know; perhaps the rice (crucial in top quality sushi) is lacking. Service, provided by a beautifully tattooed waitress (Lisa) with a 1000 kilowatt smile, was great. We wanted to adopt her and bring her home to smile at us! Another pleasure was the bill, which was about 2/3rds of what we were expecting - $104 for 5 people- and we were stuffed. All in all, a great meal and I loved trying lots of different things. My daughter loved it so much that she went back a couple of days later with her brother (both teenagers) and ate there again, getting mostly repeat dishes but also the Cambodian corn, which they both loved. Will definitely seek this place out again next time I am in Bend!

Visited August 2012