“Unique Family Experience”
Review of Lava River Cave

Lava River Cave
Ranked #12 of 109 things to do in Bend
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I am not sure what criteria one is supposed to use when rating a lava tube, but my family (which enjoys hiking and outdoor activities) had a surprisingly good time. The hike to the end of the underground tube (one mile) and back was the highlight of our Oregon trip for my six-year-old. I can see where some kids might be scared by the experience of hiking in a cold, dark, and confined space, but mine thought it was great. It's not a long walk, and you can always turn around early if you don't want to go all the way to the end.

You can rent lanterns onsite for a reasonable cost of five dollars, but I would urge groups to also bring flashlights or head lamps or to rent more than one lantern. We had extra lights, and I suspect that it would have been difficult for our group to have made it through with only a single lantern.

3  Thank CWB71

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Make sure to bring your head lamps and dress warm. Great place to bring your friends and out of town guests.

1  Thank clint g
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We rented a lantern from the park, but you can bring your own flashlight. You will need it. The cave is pitch black, damp, rocky walkway so be careful. It takes about 2 hours to walk roundtrip. It is really an amazingly unique experience.

3  Thank HeyJudeOregon
Reviewed May 11, 2013

They told us it was 42 degrees, but it didn't seem too cold with the rented lanterns. The entrance of the cave was the best part. The rest is kind of plain if you are not into geology. Still, it didn't seem boring. I would think one trip in the cave is enough for most people. There are some rocky spots that can be a little slippery, but most of the cave floor is flat and sandy. My girls had no trouble (5,6) and were fine once they knew there were no bears or snakes in the cave.

2  Thank montyl33
Reviewed April 11, 2013

If you are interested in the volcanism of the Central Oregon area, then the Lava Lands is for you. There is a huge field of relatively young Ah Ah lava here, with vistas of the Cascade Mountains to the west. The lava lands contains mountain of lava, with nearby lava river cave and Newberry National Monument full of lava also. You can hike into and around these areas now, but they visitors centers won't open for a few more weeks when Tourist Season Starts. Check them out in the next few weeks to explore without the crowds!

3  Thank Lorenzo B