“Middle Eastern flavors”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Bend, Oregon
“Middle Eastern flavors”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having lived in the Middle East, my husband and I are always on the lookout for good Middle Eastern food. We tried Joolz in Bend recently, and while we liked what we ordered, we would not give the menu rave reviews.

The decor of the restaurant is very effective, and the dining room was comfortable. We had reservations on a week night in late October and were glad we did, as the place appeared to be full.

One of my must-haves in this cuisine is Baba Ganoush, and Joolz makes an excellent one, smoky and garlicky, although the appetizer portion is on the small size. I'm also a Felafel lover, and Joolz makes the best I have had in the Northwest. They are moist and flavorful, and don't crumble into bits like many other restaurants' attempts. My husband is the lamb lover, and he liked his Lamb Kabob all right, but he wasn't blown away.

Our only real disappointment is that we felt the entree menu was rather limited. There are a number of American choices (burgers, for instance), although one of our dining companions was grateful for this choice. All in all, the quality of the food at Joolz is excellent. The meze option may be a good idea for a larger group, but too expensive for a party of four, particularly when one in the group is "not very adventurous" when it comes to eating out.

The bottom line: we liked Joolz enough that, if we are craving Middle Eastern for dinner in Bend, we would probably eat here again.

• Visited October 2012

• Arabic first
Warden, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waiting for the Queen of Hearts!!!!!!”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

If you are traveling to Bend, Oregon do not miss Happy Hour at Joolz! Sitting at the bar and chatting with Ramsey while nibbling on cauliflower and sipping a PBR is a great way to spend an evening. I have never eaten at a place where I can honestly say everything I have had there is good, until now! Great food, great stories, great atmosphere! We have lived in Bend and tried most of the eateries in town, fancy to casual, and Joolz is at the top of our list! Ramsey and crew go to great lengths to make the “experience” at Joolz one to come back for. The first attraction we think about when friends come to town isn’t Mt. Bachelor, its Joolz.

1 Thank QueenofHearts_PBR
Victoria
“Noot to be missed”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A jem in Bend. I was not sure what to expect, but was very impressed with the depth of flavour in their menu items and the variety. The portions are a reasonable size and gives you the opportunity to try various treasures on the menu. Our service was outstanding, very helpful and I am pleased that we listened to the servers reccomendations. The prices are quite reasonable.

Vancouver, WA
“A delightful experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We ordered from the happy hour menu and enjoyed great food loaded with fun and rich flavors, excellent drinks and very good service. Perfect weather and dining outside was a plus. Joolz will become a regular stop on our frequent trips to Bend.

1 Thank Paul L
Santa Barbara, California
“A good choice”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Visited with friends who are regulars and they didn't lie...it's a great place. Loved the smoky baba ganoush! Just calling it an appetizer did not do it justice. Our dinners were good, but that was the star of the show for me. Cocktail menu strayed from the ordinary which was a pleasant surprise. Though Americanized enough to glorify their Elk on the menu, it was exotic enough to trigger memories of the mideast if you've ever traveled there. A pleasant dining experience overall, made that much better by our server who knew the importance of a smile along with the good service. She was a delight. When I return to Bend, this is on my list of places to visit.

• Visited August 2012