“Well worth the visit”

3-Day Tour from Portland to Crater Lake
Ranked #1 of 95 things to do in Bend
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The museum, set on 135 acres of pine forest, has something for everyone. Explore the nature, culture and spirit of the High Desert through fun, interactive, indoor and outdoor exhibits. Encounter live animals, interact with living history characters at the Miller Ranch, visit the 1904 sawmill. See what life was like for pioneers, enjoy Western art and an extensive Native American collection. Special programs and events for all ages.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Windsor, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Well worth the visit”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We always wanted to stop by here and finally did. Great exhibits, friendly staff, do not miss the raptor demonstration that is only done once a day.

La Pine, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesomeness at a great price!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was so much fun! My wife was at work and I had the day off so I treated myself to some fun at the museum. It was a great price considering how much there is to see! I spent about 3 hours there and I got to glance at everything there, but didn't get a chance to read every little thing.

For the people who complained of the lack of animals: This is a museum, not a zoo! So if you're expecting to see tons of animals, go up to Portland!

I can't wait to see which exhibit they will host next! So much fun and a great place to learn more about Central Oregon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“be careful when you go”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We wanted to beat the sun, so we got there at the museum's opening at 9 AM. that was a mistake. First, the museum is in a forest, so one need not worry about the sun, as one must at the Tucson Desert Museum. Secondly, and most important, the Museum does not really staff the exhibits until starting about 10:30. The staff add a lot to the enjoyment of the Museum, so I would advise you to get there no earlier than 10 AM and maybe later. Overall, the Museum is well done, but don't expect anything sensational.

1 Thank Chuck E
Durham, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome! DO NO MISS!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We loved the museum. The displays were well done, the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Our main mistake was that we had not allotted enough time to do it all! Be sure to give it a full day. Great for kids and adults.

Durham, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Excellent Museum”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very nicely done museum. Excellent exhibits inside and out. We took a guided tour outside that focused on the plants of the high desert area. Volunteer, a former professor was fun, knowledgeable, and helpful. My wife and I are both environmental scientists so we asked lots of questions and had a great time.

1 Thank BlueFingers