“Left after just one night ...”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Lodi, California
“Left after just one night ...”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I had originally made reservations for a 6-night stay (30th wedding anniversary), but left the hotel the morning after our first night's stay. We stayed in the "newly renovated" 600 Building. The fireplace in our room did not work, so we asked to be transferred to another room. We had to pay for an "upgrade" to a larger room. As soon as we walked in, I smelled a not-so-clean smell, which is my least favorite "first impression". We were tired, so my husband went straight to bed. I went to take a shower. YUCK. I found the source of that smell, and numerous other issues. The toilet was leaking at the base and had a ring around the inside (Advice: pumice stone!) The floor had not been mopped - I'll skip the graphic details - so I kept shoes on my feet the whole time I was in there. And the WORST of it was the source of that "smell"; as I climbed into the shower, the entire inside bottom edge of the shower curtain was covered in a nasty pink mildew film, with black mold splotches!!! (I still needed a shower, so took the fastest one possible!) The shower head was meant to be handicapped-accessible, but it was attached to a hose that hung only high enough to shoot water up to my neck and it kept moving during my shower. (The fixture was also old and worn, obviously not replaced as part of the "renovation".) Needless to say, I was completely disgusted by the time I joined my sleeping husband in bed, and spent a very fitful night wondering about the cleanliness of the bed linens and the rest of the room. The following morning, we told the (very nice) front desk staff that we'd "had an unexpected change of plans" and left. We said nothing at the time, because we did not want another room and frankly, did not want to leave such a pleasant person with a negative start to their day! However, it was not at all pleasant to pay for such an awful (our WORST EVER) hotel experience. Our remaining 5 nights in Bend were spent elsewhere, in a much cleaner and more comfortable local hotel ...

Room Tip: Looking at other reviews here, it looks like it is a real gamble as to the kind of room/experience y...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Christine M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We spent one night with our three children and loved it. The room we stayed in was a bit dated, but it was clean, smelled fresh, and the beds/bedding were wonderful. Our room was very large with wooden beams and a fireplace. The breakfast was better than the typical continental breakfasts we usually have at hotels. The grounds were just beautiful! And the staff was friendly. I left without my pillow and had to go back and the cleaning crew was very helpful and friendly. Next time we go through Bend, we'll definitely come back to the Shiloh!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Dear elizabeth f,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Shilo Inn Suites in Bend. I am happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience. I will be sure to pass on your comments to all the staff. We look forward to you staying with us again when you are in Bend.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I really enjoyed my trip to Bend, and I loved my room with a view. I paid a bit more for it, but it was worth it, to hear the river at night, and see the beautiful river during the day. My only complaints is the light was out on the balcony, and it took three calls to the front desk to get it fixed. The room was clean, the mattress was firm, and nice, and we slept well. I could smell a vague cat smell....which totally did NOT go with the rest of the room. It was not strong at all, I would be complaining if it had...but I could tell a cat had been in the room. I would hope they would have specific rooms for people with pets, since many are allergic, or just do not want to smell that animal smell, in a room you are paying about $120 a nite for.Anyway, except for those 2 issues, I really did enjoy Bend, and my room with a beautiful view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor of building 6, that building I believe is pretty updated, and is rig...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank matzma16
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Dear Matzma16,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Shilo Inn in Bend. I am sorry that it took 3 calls to get the light fixed and that your room had a faint feline scent, I will definitely look into this. We only accept dogs and do not allow any pets in the 600 building for anyone that suffers from allergies so the cat smell should not be there unless a previous guest brought a cat without telling us, for that, again, I am sorry.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We do hope that you will come stay with us again in Bend.

Oregon
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I stayed overnight on Priceline.com at the rate of $45 and it was still too much! The room (507, river view) was dark, deary and very cave like. I didn't even know that they sold bulbs at such low wattage! I could barely see anything, which was just as well, because eveything was very old and out of date.
The king bed was in terrible shape and it sloped downward to one side. I have never had worse pillows, either. I barely slept a wink all night, as I listened to the smokers (in a non-smoking hotel) chat and party all night on the their outside patio, next to mine. There were no dividers, so I could see them every time I looked out of the window.
There was an old bedspread on the bed that smelled. The outdated TV did not work and I missed my favorite TV show, The Amazing Race. I called maintance and he could not fix the TV.
The breakfast buffet lacked simple whole wheat toast! The eggs are a crummy powder mix. The breakfast room is very dark and deary, very poorly lighted and playing loud country music. The potatoes were good, however. The juice glasses were tiny and they look designed for midgets.
The grounds are pretty. The rooms are terrible, dark, deary and dated. Worse of all, for a "pet friendly" hotel, there are No Dog Walking Here signs everywhere on the property!
A terrible place and unfriendly towards pets. A total dump...

Room Tip: No such luck. All of the room are terrible.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Dear sccastle,

First, thank you very much for the feedback. We only get better the more people connect with us. I am however disappointed to hear that your stay at the Shilo Inn Suites in Bend was not enjoyable. We have a variety of room types available. Some of them have been more recently updated than others. We would have been more than happy to find you a room more to your liking. I am sorry that you did miss your favorite show. We have been having problems with CBS, but we have rectified that problem.

The breakfast buffet has variety of breads available, but they do change. The eggs are 100% real and not any sort of mix. There are areas down by the river that pets are not allowed due to city ordinances to keep pets away from the ducks, geese, beavers and otters that live along the river. There is a half acre area in the middle of the property where pets can enjoy themselves without disturbing the wild life.

Kevin Coelsch, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Bend hotels

DENVER
Reviewed September 23, 2011

The room was large and clean if a bit dated. My boyfriend and I joked that it was bigger than some apartments we'd had. We had a balcony overlooking the pool, which was nice, but no chairs to sit on (I noticed other balconies did have chairs). The staff was great, very friendly & we got excellent recommendations for places to eat and to hike. Also the breakfast was real food (e.g. eggs, bacon, oatmeal, etc.) which we appreciated.

It was perfect for our purpose, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone looking for a vacation type of place, as it's in an area with a lot of commercial retail places. Very convenient when I needed to buy some warm weather clothes though!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear Kathryn R,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Some of you rooms are quite spacious, but I am sorry that you did not have chairs on your deck. We do have plenty of chairs, they just get moved around sometimes. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast buffet. On behalf of myself and the staff here at the Shilo Inn Bend, thank you for staying with us.

Alpine, Wyoming
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My bf and I recently stayed here for 2 nights too many. Imagine an old 80's room. Now imagine how it would smell and look with 30+ years of traffic. So, not too surprisingly our room smelled like cigarettes and carpet cleaner. With stained carpet. The bed had this weird, pilled, scratchy comforter on it, and it was anything but comfortable. Our room was the kind you don't want to take your shoes off in. The kind of room you feel like you need to take a shower after you leave it. We paid $85/night for this place, and I think that was way too high considering how outdated and uncomfortable our room was. Yes, they do give you vouchers for they're breakfast buffet. If you like cafeteria food, than you will love their breakfast. Bring your own pillows if you stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
I am sorry to hear that did not like you room here at the Shilo Inn. There are a variety of room types and styles here at the Shilo Inn in Bend. I am sorry if your room smelled of smoke. All of are rooms are non smoking rooms. We would have been more than happy to work with you to find a room more to your liking.

Kevin Coelsch - General Manager
Oregon
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here for one night. Will not go back. Glad we didn't need to stay longer. My husband and I want a limited number of things from a hotel room: good bed, decent water pressure in the shower, clean room. While our room in the 500 building had those three things, it did lack some things we just thought were so basic we don't usually think about them. Adequate lighting for one. The room was still so dark and dim after we turned on all possible light fixtures that it was depressing. One light fixture needed a bulb replaced, but that was only part of the lighting issue. Are they keeping the light low to prevent guests from fully realizing how worn the furnishings are? The bathroom fixtures and room decor were extremely dated and somewhat worn. The room may have been adequately clean, but the age of the fixtures made the bathroom feel gross. The tub drained extremely slowly, which lead to the oh-so-yucky "standing in the shower with water up over my ankles" situation. Only a barely adequate number of towels were provided. The blue plastic sign over the gas fireplace warning guests to not burn anything in the fireplace (wood or other items) might have been necessary (really?), but it was just the cherry on the top of the tackiness sundae. If they wait just a bit longer, the rooms might be considered throw-back or vintage. But I'm not sure bad eighties bathroom fixtures and tub surrounds will ever entice me to stay in a dark and dingy room.

1 Thank wivagardener