“Nice option”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Marietta, Georgia
“Nice option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

We stayed for 5 nights. Our suite had functioning kitchen with a 2 burner stove, mini fridge and dishwasher. There also is a gas grill by the pool. The kitchen seemed to have lost some pieces over time. We were able to cook and used the grill.

The suite was spacious for 2 and there is plenty of storage. The room was clean with a few signs of wear. Our mattress had seen better days.

If you require service and you staying a longer period, you need to make sure the front desk knows. You are not automatically scheduled for service every day. This is not uncommon at extended stay hotels.

All in all, our experience was fine. The staff was friendly and helpful. You are within walking distance of a few
restaurants and grocery. Plus you are only a little over a mile to the new shopping and entertainment area in Bend.

If you want a resort or a boutique hotel, this is not the place. If you want a solid property with a kitchen and room to spread out, this is a good option. I'd stay again.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Bulldog82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

A bit late for the review but I think the hotel truly deserves it.

Stayed here for the July 4th weekend 2009.

Value:
Paid about $125 (all inclusive) for 2 nights (priceline). So was happy with the value. But hotel was definitely worth more. . 2 star rated but seemed like a 3 star to me. But this place is great regardless of the value.

Comfort:
Its an extended stay hotel but it had everything one could want. Didn't really need the room service. Staff was courteous. Its a newer hotel, had a great breakfast, nice outside pool and jacuzzi.
Rooms had a fully-equipped kitchenette - one could want - shiny silverware and all. One rarely "cooks" in the hotel kitchenettes but I like that at-home feeling it provides or to sometimes warm up some leftovers from previous night :-)

Surroundings:
Its in a great new and very quiet part of Bend, very close to the river. We biked a lot in that area and had a great time. Nice shops and little mom and pop stores around - from coffee and outdoor stuff.

Cons:
Let me think ........hmmm... errrr...

Conclusion:
Would happily stay again ... and again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

We decided to take a quick getaway mid-week, and wound up here. Our selection criteria involve needing a two-room suite, with a bedroom on the other side of a door which can be closed from the rest of the space, due to special needs involving a child. This hotel had a one bedroom suite which involved two full size hotel rooms, interconnect by a non-locking door. One room had a queen bed, a 32" tv, a full closet, an arm chair with floor lamp beind it, a sofa which also folded down into a queen bed, a desk, and a full handicap accessible bathroom. The other room had a queen bed; two nightstands with lamps and electrical outlets; a dresser; a 32" tv; a dining table with chairs; a kitechenette with refrigerator, stove, microwave, diswasher and a full array of utiensils. Both rooms had seperate HVAC controls, and curtains which pretty fully blocked the light from the windows.

The hotel itself was very nice, with a spacious lobby which had a self-service snack bar, a computer with internet access, an area with tables which had the no-host "happy hour" reception (cheese, crackers, nuts, swedish meatbals, fruit,cookies, etc) and the extended continental breakfast (bagles, cream cheese, various bread and roll varieties, cold cereal, hot oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, make-your-own-waffles, etc). There was also a contstantly refreshed water dispenser with iced water and slices of lime and lemon floating in it. We refilled our water bottles every time we went past!

The pool and hot tub areas were outside, which was nice but would be a bit of a problem in the colder months. The pool was heated, but only to about 80 degrees, a bit cold for younger children to be in for any extended period, but refreshing for a short dip.

The rooms were very comfortable, it was easy to get them to the right temperature and to keep them there. The beds were comfortable -- soft, yet supportive. All of the in room amenities worked as expected.

The one surprise was a lack of typical in-room entertainment options. Near as I could tell, there was no premium cable channels, nor were there on-demand movies. However, in a pleasant turn, the AV inputs on both TVs were fully accessible so if we had brought along appropriate cables, we could have played movies from our computer, phones, etc on the TVS, or we could have brought along gaming consoles for the older kids. That by itself is a HUGE win -- if you know about it in advance.

We had occassion to call on the front desk a couple of times for assistance while there, and the staff was amazing. Can't recommend them highly enough for their performance.

Across the parking lot is the Original Pancake House, a not-to-be-missed breakfast spot. Our first morning, we at the hotel continental breakfast, which was typical for such fare, but far from the high point of the day. That afternoon, we realized that we had this vaslty superior option at our fingertips, and didn't even contemplate the hotel breakfast the next morning. HIGHLY recommend that as a choice!

Getting to the hotel, our GPS ran us though an industrial area and business office park. It was a bit concerning that we'd be well away from the more scenic areas, but it turned out that we were just minutes away from the downtown area and the Old Mill distrcits. Going to both we spent far more time trying to find parking then actually traveling there from the hotel.

The whole experience was overwhelmingly positive. This will likely be our first choice on future trips, and has caused me to re-think TownePlace Suites as an option for other cities.

Highly recommened.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank NoMrStan
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

While the hotel and the room were nice and clean, I don't think it was worth $130 a night. It's very apparent by the awkward location and the layout of the room (the TV wasn't viewable from the bed) that this was a businessman's hotel and little more. The beds and pillows were decent but not up to Marriott's usual standards (which is part of the reason we chose this hotel). It wasn't a "bad" experience, just left a lot to be desired, especially given the prices.

• Stayed August 2010
bendmarriottsMGR, Manager at TownePlace Suites Bend Near Mt. Bachelor, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are very sorry you felt the location and layout of the room were awkward. With nationally classed hiking trails and the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway out the back door and the world class shopping of the Old Mill District out of the front door we are a very popular hotel but still it is not for everyone. The suites at the TownePlace were built with the longer term traveler in mind with extra amenities such as fully equipped kitchens, “home office” workspaces and new 32-inch LCD screens. Extra touches such as granite counter tops and a variety of 5 pillows per bed are Marriott standards that we are happy to provide. We are sorry you did not find these to your liking. We hope your travels bring you back to our beautiful city in the future, and we would love the opportunity to host you again.

Kind Regards,
TownePlace Suites Management and Staff
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

The location can't be beat if you want to enjoy the outdoor life as well as downtown Bend. The hotel provides easy access to Century Dr. and the beautiful Cascade Lakes Highway. A brewpub is right across the street and a pancake restaurant is across the parking lot. You might not need these if you use the kitchen in your suite which has a full size refrigerator and the dishes and cookware to prepare meals. The suite is cozy in size but manages to fit in enough furniture to make it home-like. Our suite had a couch and a big desk with rolling chair. The odd thing was no place to actually eat a meal- for one the desk was fine but it was odd for two to eat comfortably.
The hotel itself has a nice, decent size outdoor pool which is much better than a "parking lot" pool as this one faces the piney woods across the road. Plenty of chaises too. The whole property is clean and decorated nicely. The setting is so nice it is a shame that the rooms facing the woods have no decks. Oh well, there are lots of places to walk- and a nice river trail too. Downtown Bend is only a few minutes away by neighborhood streets.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sitesea
Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

I am fairly new at business travel. I have only been traveling for a few weeks and I am already really tired. This hotel called me a few days before I got there that confirm my reservation. They asked what I needed in my room. I said nothing but that i would be arriving late and would be tired so a quiet room would be good. The clerk at check in could tell I was tired and got me checked right in, then when I got to my room there was extra pillows and the drapes were pulled closed and there was very quiet music playing. There was a note on my pillow that said welcome and sleep well. I also left my cell phone charger behind and they called me on my cell before I got out of town so I could go back and get it. Top rate.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Tmath6284
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

This hotel had "THE BEST" service, the friendliest staff, the cleanest rooms, the most delicious warm fresh cookies, and above all, the management was always right there to make sure your stay was enjoyable. Even my two teenagers were thrilled with their stay. Very welcoming and for those of us who over-indulge in the local brew-pubs, the gym is also a great amenity!

I'll be back! Very soon I hope!

Stayed March 2008, traveled with family