“Out of the ordinary Indian buffet”

Abhiruchi South North Indian
Ranked #99 of 399 Restaurants in Beaverton
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were sightseeing with our daughter in the Portland, Oregon area and had gone to visit a garden in Beaverton. When lunch time rolled around we sought out a restaurant in the area and found that Abhiruchi had good reviews. My husband is not fond of most Indian restaurants, but agreed to go because my daughter also wanted to try it. All of us were surprised that the food was much, much better than most Indian buffets--and the price was around $10 each. A mix of northern and southern Indian dishes, it had several chicken offerings and a lamb vindaloo. What's more, my vegetarian daughter found many vegetarian options--and several were different than the usual sag panir and nondescript dal. There were even appetisers--potato pakora and onion bahj.i Unlike many such restaurants, everything DIDN'T taste the same; instead each had its own distinct flavors. Dessert offerings were also more than expected--a carrot helva along with the somewhat unusual rice and tapioca pudding. I would definitely return and only wish the Indian buffets in my town were as good. Don't let the strip mall location put you off.

1  Thank super-intrepid

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I love spicy food; the hotter, the better. However, for my wife, mild sauce at Taco Bell is too spicy. So for me, I ordered their mutter paneer, which was delicious. My wife ordered chicken kurama, and asked the waiter to have it prepared with hardly any spice. And, both of us were pleased by our food. We'll visit them again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I would give this 5 stars if this was a restaurant you went to because it was also pretty, but it's fairly sad to look at. The food more than makes up for it. You get a lot and it is really delicious. We've never gotten anything we didn't like. Make sure to order the dinner meal, since it's only a few dollars more for twice as much food. Definitely worth it. It's unfortunate that this is also in a strip mall.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was introduced to this place by an Indian friend who assured me the food tasted just like home, and I am now a convert and have eaten here at least ten times. The lunch buffet is perfect for trying a little of everything and getting acquainted with the flavors.

The service is a little slow and the atmosphere nothing special, but do not let that deter you. The standout dishes so far have been the chicken makhani, lamb pansada, aloo mutter, and saag paneer. The takeout portions are huge, you'll enjoy leftovers for days! Their samosas are really yummy, I have tried the vegetable and lamb. I think they only serve it in the buffet, but try the halva, an orange cream of wheat dish, great brunch food. My fave dessert is definitely the galub jamun, which is kind of like a cross between a donut and tiramisu.

I was not familiar with Indian cuisine before, but now I crave it. This place is a hidden treasure in Beaverton, I do not get why more people haven't heard about it because the food is always excellent.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

Might want to call in the order ahead of time--service can be slow but friendly.
I've eaten here a half dozen times, and the flavors have never disappointed. Many tasty options, vegetarian and gluten- free options also plentiful.