“Somewhat disappointing”
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 429 Restaurants in Beaverton
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Hall and Scholls Ferry
Description: Prepare for a dining experience unlike any other. Watch as your personal chef performs the ancient art of Teppanyaki. Listen as razor-sharp blades slice through tender steak and juicy chicken. Take in the aroma of sizzling shrimp, lobster and savory vegetables. Or visit our sushi bar, where your sushi chef will prepare fresh nigiri, sashimi and specialty rolls, all with the same flair that made Benihana a legend in Japanese cuisine.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've been going to Benihana's for the last 30 years. I took my boyfriend from Canada and my daughter and her boyfriend for a valentines day lunch.

The service was ok. But the food was less than stellar as I recall. I believe we had a fairly new chef. He was nice .. But for the scallops and shrimp appetizers -- they had NO flavor at all. It's not a cheap place so to have the food be sub-par was very disappointing. Maybe dinner is better but not going to spend double to find out.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you never tried the Teppanyaki style cuisine, you have to stop by!

You might find it a bit overpriced, but you pay for good food, a personal chef, and "the show" - him cooking right in front of you in style. It is a great place for a special dinner for two (less intimacy though), or for an evening with friends (also the 8 seating rectangular tables might not always be the best for long eye-to-eye conversation). It is also a way to meet new people who would join you at the table. It makes a great and surprising gift for people who discover this cuisine style.

We went there for New Year's eve so it was extremely noisy and packed but the service was still good. The restaurant is quite big. The waitress was friendly and the chef really outgoing.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

It took them 45 minutes to set our party of 10 (and we had a reservation!). Then it took the waitress another half hour to get our drinks and she didn't even bring the wine glasses so I told her we needed to order before she got them (because every time she left the table she was gone for 1/2 hour!) We finally saw the chef 2 hours after we arrived (and we had children in the party)! The place was so loud you couldn't even carry on a conversation! We did have a great chef who cooked the seafood perfectly so that is the only reason I didn't give it a terrible rating. The bill came to $40 a person and I don't think the experience was worth it.

1  Thank AWHSUM
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We frequently visit Benihana. The menu has a variety of sushi, steak, seafood, and other cuisines. Each table has a large grill and can seat eight persons. You can order either fried or steam rice for the entree.

French onion soup is served first followed by salad with the delicious ginger dressing. The cook normally shows up when the salad is half way finished. If you order an appetizer, it arrives before you finish your salad. The cook also entertains the customers in different ways- fast moving spatula and fork, throwing the egg yoke up in the air with the spatula several times and skillfully catching it before it lands on the grill, throwing an egg up in the air and force it to land in his shirt pocket, etc.. He will first review the orders to make sure they are correct before giving each person small dishes of mustard and ginger sauces for meat and vegetables, respectively. The cook then starts grilling some onions, prawns, and squash. He also prepares fried rice for those who have requested it. All the plates are placed around the grill to make it easy for the cook to place the food on the plate. You will start with the prawn followed by squash, onion and rice while the main dish is being prepared.Once your food is prepared and placed on your plate, you can then move your plate closer.

You have a choice of having combination of steak, chicken, prawns, lobster, and some noodle listed in the menu. The restaurant has a monthly special dish normally served for two at a discount price. Some items on the menu include ice cream or sherbert for desert. The restaurant has a bar that serves sake and other alcoholic drinks.

You can register your birthday on the benihana website and expect to receive a $30 coupon on your birthday. You can use the coupons for your own food orders, excluding drinks. It is advised to make a reservation since the place gets really crowded. The restaurant is highly recommended for delicious food, service and lively atmosphere.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This Benihana is a good hibachi restaurant. We made reservations the day before and even though the restaurant was packed and many people were seated in the waiting area we were seated within 5 minutes. Customers without reservations were being told that the wait was 45 minutes. Note to self: make reservations when going to Benihana.

We were seated at a large hibachi table for eight and each given a menu. A few minutes later a group of 8 people came in and were seated at the table next to ours. When the waitress finally arrived she went to their table for their orders and we sat until their drink and dinner orders were taken. After placing their orders the waitress came to us and started to take our orders when she Noticed that the people at another table got up and started to leave the room with their bill. She told us that she would be right back and she approached the group. I overheard one of the customers tell her that they had been waiting for her to return to their table so they could pay their bill but when she never returned they decided to take the bill to the hostess in the front of the restaurant to pay. She then took the customers bill and walked away leaving the group of 4 customers standing next to our table while she processed his credit card. Needless to say they did not have good things to say about the service. The waitress returned with the check and the customers left. She then returned to us to complete taking our orders. Not the way to start off an enjoyable evening at Benihana.

Shortly thereafter Felix the hibachi chef arrived. Felix was friendly, entertaining and an excellent hibachi chef. Felix made everyone at the table feel welcome. As he went through his process of cooking the various meals he brought everyone into the process and kept everyone laughing and entertained. We had 2 young children with us and they absolutely loved Felix, his entertaining cooking skills and his wonderful personality. It is hibachi chefs like Felix that keep us coming back.

Although the dinner was good I do not think that it is as good as other hibachi restaurants not because of the quality of the food, which was very good, but because of the choices of the side dishes which accompany the main choice. I ordered hibachi chicken which came with soup, salad, a large quantity of fried onions, a bowl of white rice, mushrooms and zucchini. Every other hibachi restaurant that I have been to serve the chicken with rice, noodles, onions and vegetables all cooked on the hibachi grill. The white rice, the large quantity of fried onions to replace the noodles and the mushrooms would not have been my choice. Desserts at Benihana are extra. Every other hibachi restaurant I have been to include a small dessert of several flavors ice cream, my favorite is green tea, and cakes. The hibachi dinners at Benihana cost about 20% higher than the other 3 hibachi restaurants that I frequent in New Jersey.

At this Benihana restaurant the hibachi chefs do not do any of the fire presentations that chefs at other hibachi restaurants do and that in my opinion is the highlight of their presentations. Felix did do the volcano but instead of fire coming out of the top just smoke came out. I had told the children with us all about the 2 fire presentations and they, and I, were disappointed when it did not happen.

At this Benihana restaurant hibachi chef Felix got an A. Our server received a D and our meals a grade of B. Felix made the night for us and he should be commended. I think that if I lived in the area I would check out some other hibachi restaurants just to compare them with Benihana.