“Okay, Not Great, Just Okay”

B.J. Willy's Woodfired Pizza & Pub
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed February 19, 2014

This was our second trip to B.J. Willy's; our first trip was shortly after they opened a few years back and that visit was bad, to the point that we've not returned until now.

A couple of days ago we were in the outdoor shopping center in the early evening and after smelling the amazing aroma from the wood fire oven we decided to stop in rather than head home and cook.

There was a line for the restaurant so we opted for the only open table in the bar. It was happy hour and they offer $1 off pints of draft beer and well drink specials. I was bummed to see no happy hour pricing on wine as well. The happy hour menu was what I consider a "normal" happy hour with a couple of chip/dip offers and some fried items. The had a selection of single serving pizzas as well and that looked appealing. We opted for a pizza from the dinner menu, but I did order the oyster shooters from the happy hour menu.

I had a conversation with a fish monger once about oysters and learned there are many kinds of oyster and type and origin really affects taste. The oysters I had this night were not good; I ate one, thought it must be me so had a second, and left the third behind. They were served in shot glasses on top of a very thick cocktail sauce. The oysters were so large it was difficult to eat them in one bite, and the sauce was so thick it remained in the glass rather than following the oyster. The oysters tasted bland and slightly like fish as opposed to bright and like the ocean if that makes sense.

Our pizza was taking for ever to come out of the kitchen and finally our server, who was very nice and pleasant, stopped by and advised "there was a problem with the printer in the kitchen" and our order would soon be out. So our order hadn't been submitted which caused our wait, but it was not an issue. When the bill was delivered the server told us he comped our second beverages because of the wait; this was a good customer service move and will likely cause us to return.

When entering the restaurant you are standing in a small square waiting area with a hostess podium ahead. The restaurant is to the left and straight ahead, behind the hostess, is the bar. The bar counter runs the length of this room on the right with seating all along, and the wall forming a hard separation between restaurant and bar runs all along the left. One long built-in seat runs along this wall and four person tables are evenly spaced outside the bench seating. Four or five televisions are mounted to the wall high above the bar allowing easy viewing of sports. The noise was extremely loud as the area was full and the televisions were on. I was actually surprised when the bartender turned the volume on two televisions to the highest level so a basketball game could be heard over the crowd, but the crowd just got louder; conversation was nearly impossible.

The pizza was really good, the oven makes a huge difference. We split a small pizza, they come in two sizes, and this was perfect for the two of us, but I think its a little over priced for the actual size and a couple with a big appetite won't be satisfied with a small. Half was veggie and half a combination; in addition to the crust being very good, there was very little oil from the meats in the combination which to me implied very lean meat.

So it was way too loud, the pizza good, the oysters not. Server was great, prices, based upon two visits, a little high compared market for the serving size. In my opinion this place is worth a shot and we will likely return, but it won't be the first place on our list and we absolutely will set our expectations to just okay, not outstanding.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We've eaten here a couple of times and it's inconsistent. Sometimes the food & service have been good. However, the last few times we've been there have been spotty. Once, the bartender was the only wait staff for the whole place and it was only like 8 pm. Another time our waiter was nice but they took forever to get our order and they ended up being out of my dish. So, I had to order something sub-par & my husband's dish was gross. Sometimes I question the cleanliness. Another great location for a good restaurant...just wish it was as good as the first time we went. The atmosphere is nice and we're hoping we just caught them on a bad night or two?

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We live nearby and are in here somewhat regularly. The food is quite good, and they have a woodfire pizza oven so it's very tasty. The happy hour food is well priced and a good value as well. They have many beers on tap (looked to be about 15-20) and rotate them regularly. The happy hour definitely gets busy, so be prepared to wait or get there early. Staff is friendly and service is quick. Would recommend - the restaurant is also good for families with a nice kids menu.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We have actually visited this restaurant once before and weren't too impressed. This time I wanted a burger and we were going to go down the way but it was so cold and I didn't want to walk so we jetted inside B.J.'s. I had their classic cheeseburger w/ tots and my husband had another burger w/ sweet potato fries. We ordered the little tykes mac n cheese for our daughter. I always ask for a small thing of mayo (because burgers never come with enough in my opinion) and a small thing of ranch for my tots. The burger was pretty good. The tots were a little soft so they broke apart easy but still tasty. My husband said his was really good. What was actually the best was the mac N cheese that we ordered our daughter. OMG!! I have NEVER tasted such good mac and cheese...It just melted in your mouth. It tasted like a baked dessert. Next time....I'm just ordering that. LOL. Really the only downside to this place....VERRRRY dark in there. Without your light that you have over the table...You can't see anything else at your booth and it was cold. It was like 20º outside...IF THAT and cold air was blowing on us.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stopped on a whim after a movie; I hadn't read any reviews, which is probably good, since they would have scared me away from a good meal. It was not busy, so we may have benefited from that, but we were seated immediately. Waitress was extremely pleasant and competent. Split a very good Caesar salad and pizza. Yes, the pizza had some burnt bits on it, a natural result of the wood-fired oven (I commented to the waitress that some people probably freaked out about this, and she verified that was the case). All in all, a pleasant place for a casual meal - I'm sure we'll go again the next time we're in the neighborhood.